Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not the best game, but if he gets 4 more outs without another run, it isn't exactly a bad one either.
    You have got to be kidding.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He just needs to flip around the chronology and then it would all be Dusty's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    He was awful in the first. He showed some mental fortitude by bouncing back. I think the old Homer doesn't get out of about the 2nd inning. Plenty of room to improve, but let's not give up yet.
    Tell me when we should give up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    He just needs to flip around the chronology and then it would all be Dusty's fault.
    That's quality right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Give the guy a few starts this season. Let's not overreact.

It's called baseball. There are good and bad days. With his track record, I'd give him 10 starts this year. There's 162 games, don't get too high with the highs or low with the lows.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Give the guy a few starts this season. Let's not overreact.
    I think anytime your starting pitcher gives up three bombs in the first inning there will likely be some disappointment.

That disappointment is a bit greater after having been told all spring that he is the Reds second best pitcher, that his ERA is irrelevant, that he misses bats, that his terrible spring is meaningless, and that his peripherals indicate that he is a very good starter.

Homer is just too easy to hit. He doesn't fool the hitters. He "misses bats" for stretches of the game, but the opposition gets to him somewhere along the way.
    He's not that effective and I always wonder if he is really healthy.

Sure, give him more time, maybe things will get better.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

You have got to be kidding.
    His first start of the year turned out better than that of Mat Latos and wasn't really any different than that of Arroyo.

Not the best game, but if he gets 4 more outs without another run, it isn't exactly a bad one either.
    I agree. I actually thought Dusty pulled him a little prematurely as he had really settled in after the first inning.

It wasn't a good outing, but I wouldn't say it was a horrible one either.

I am more concerned about the offense. They should've racked up some more runs tonight than they did against Westbrook. And in watching the 4 games so far this season, there needs to be much better plate discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    With his track record, I'd give him 10 starts this year.
    With his track record, I'd send him out for milk and change the locks on the stadium.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    With his track record, I'd send him out for milk and change the locks on the stadium.
    If that is your plan, you should probably trade him. If you 'lock him out', 29 other teams are gong to put in claims that he is theirs and you won't get a thing for him.

Stat of the night:

Bailey gave up more homers in the first inning than Chapman has given up in his entire career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

His first start of the year turned out better than that of Mat Latos and wasn't really any different than that of Arroyo.
    You know better.

Homer took the Reds out of the game in the first inning. He allowed three bombs and four runs before the Reds got a single at bat.

Latos didn't do that. Arroyo pitched six beautiful innings and was left in too long.

This performance was a disaster. The overall numbers do not tell the full story. The Reds were put in a position of using their secondary relievers because they were way behind from the outset.

The demise followed.

Fresh start for Homer next time. He always seems to find a way to give up too many runs at some point. I know, it's ERA, it doesn't count. Hopefully he'll do better next time.

You know better.

Homer took the Reds out of the game in the first inning. He allowed three bombs and four runs before the Reds got a single at bat.

Latos didn't do that. Arroyo pitched six beautiful innings and was left in too long.

This performance was a disaster. The overall numbers do not tell the full story. The Reds were put in a position of using their secondary relievers because they were way behind from the outset.

The demise followed.

Fresh start for Homer next time. He always seems to find a way to give up too many runs at some point. I know, it's ERA, it doesn't count. Hopefully he'll do better next time.
    Devils advocate.

Arroyos first 6 were not beautiful.

Bailey went 1 IP longer than Latos.

You know better.

The demise followed.

Are there actually stats that suggest that batters when down by runs early are less likely to succeed?

Turn Off Ads?