Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 437

Thread: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

  1. #106
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,746

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    I give Bailey 3 more starts. If he doesn't have at least 2 quality starts, he is out of the rotation, which he was lucky to make in the first place.
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,183

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    No, it doesn't mean that.

    It means the run prevention unit allowed four funs.


    .

    Just how did the "run prevention unit" -- other than Homer himself -- cause the four runs in the first inning tonight?

    Homer allowed a walk and three homers.

    Please explain how other members of the "run prevention unit" caused the four runs given up in inning one tonight. Thank you.

  4. #108
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,043

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Would this be a good place to insert the overused "marathon, not a sprint" line?

    That was just plain brutal all around.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

    Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

  5. #109
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,581

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Would this be a good place to insert the overused "marathon, not a sprint" line?

    That was just plain brutal all around.
    10 game spans, that's how I keep sanity. Enjoy the daily aspect of the game, but only evaluate about every 10 games. Keeps me off the anti-depressants
    Last edited by traderumor; 04-09-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  6. #110
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,043

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Please explain how other members of the "run prevention unit" caused the four runs given up in inning one tonight. Thank you.
    Nothing that couldn't have been prevented by a 9 foot tall outfielder with a 50" vertical.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

    Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

  7. #111
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Just how did the "run prevention unit" -- other than Homer himself -- cause the four runs in the first inning tonight?

    Homer allowed a walk and three homers.

    Please explain how other members of the "run prevention unit" caused the four runs given up in inning one tonight. Thank you.
    My point about ERA being a very noisy stat is made even more clearly by tonight's performance.

    Peripherals and defense independent stats will measure Homer's night tonight much more negatively than ERA.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  8. #112
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,571

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    It's the manager's fault for leaving him in too long.

  9. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,811

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    It's unbelievable how many overreactions there are here after ONE start in a young season.

    I'm no Homer apologist. I think he can be successful if he's healthy, but he hasn't proven he can be. If he stinks up the joint for half the season, that's 1 thing. He hasn't done that yet.

  10. #114
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,183

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's unbelievable how many overreactions there are here after ONE start in a young season.

    I'm no Homer apologist. I think he can be successful if he's healthy, but he hasn't proven he can be. If he stinks up the joint for half the season, that's 1 thing. He hasn't done that yet.
    I think it's a bit unfair to say people are overreacting to one start.

    There was a healthy debate about Homer this spring. That debate was based on his historical numbers and his poor spring. Many folks, myself included, were and are skeptical that he can be a winning starting pitcher at this stage of his career. (My own concern is whether he has ever become fully healthy.)

    Now, in his very first inning, he gets bombed. Three homers and four runs.

    So folks are naturally unhappy and concerned. It's hard to be a ninety win team with ordinary (or worse) starting pitchers.

    Of course, he will get more opportunities. But after the long debate about Homer, it was disheartening to see him begin the year reflecting previous issues with his pitching.

  11. #115
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,267

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Secondary stat of the night:

    Homer Bailey went more than twice as long tonight as Chapman has ever gone in the Majors.
    This has to be a joke, right? I don't even know how to respond to that. Lets dig up the corpse of Eric Milton, he's thrown longer in games than Chapman too.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  12. #116
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,806

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think it's a bit unfair to say people are overreacting to one start.

    There was a healthy debate about Homer this spring. That debate was based on his historical numbers and his poor spring. Many folks, myself included, were and are skeptical that he can be a winning starting pitcher at this stage of his career. (My own concern is whether he has ever become fully healthy.)

    Now, in his very first inning, he gets bombed. Three homers and four runs.

    So folks are naturally unhappy and concerned. It's hard to be a ninety win team with ordinary (or worse) starting pitchers.

    Of course, he will get more opportunities. But after the long debate about Homer, it was disheartening to see him begin the year reflecting previous issues with his pitching.
    Concerned. Disheartening.

    I don't know that people take issue with those words. Sounds reasonable to me.

  13. #117
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,923

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's unbelievable how many overreactions there are here after ONE start in a young season.

    I'm no Homer apologist. I think he can be successful if he's healthy, but he hasn't proven he can be. If he stinks up the joint for half the season, that's 1 thing. He hasn't done that yet.
    Agree.


    Seriously, folks, chill the hell out.

  14. #118
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,581

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's unbelievable how many overreactions there are here after ONE start in a young season.

    I'm no Homer apologist. I think he can be successful if he's healthy, but he hasn't proven he can be. If he stinks up the joint for half the season, that's 1 thing. He hasn't done that yet.
    I expect him to continue doing what he's been doing. Hopefully Chapman bumps him and the charade ends when the bullpen is full strength. Cueto/Latos/Chapman/Leake/Arroyo can probably get it done. Throw Bailey in there for Chapman and suddenly you have a rotation with 2 marginal number 5's. I don't think that will be enough to overtake St. Louis and Milwaukee.
    Last edited by traderumor; 04-09-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  15. #119
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,183

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Agree.


    Seriously, folks, chill the hell out.
    Here's a hypothetical question. You agree with a post saying that Homer should get half a season to prove himself.

    What if Homer - or Arroyo for that matter - has say 7 bad starts in a row.

    Would you still give each of them half a season?

    Just testing your hypothesis.

  16. #120
    HS Athletic Director alexad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cleves, Ohio
    Posts
    1,203
    After the first he pitched well. I was at the game and watched batting practice. The wind was actually blowing in during the Cards BP. Maybe 3 balls were hit out. The ball died in the wind. But no lie when the Cards batted the wind was actually blowing out. When the Reds came to bat in the bottoms of the first the flags were not moving.

    Strange yes indeed.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25