Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Other than versatility, I don't understand all the love for Frazier. He has never hit for high average at any level. Nor is he a pure power hitter. He's a utility guy at best.
    I disagree. I think he's viewed as a utility guy because that's how the Reds started grooming him about 2-3 years ago. I firmly believe that his numbers are down from where they would be if he would've gotten settled at a specific position (3rd is probably his best spot but he's probably most comfortable at short). He's been having to learn a new position every year (sometimes twice a year). That takes away from the time you have to work on your hitting. He's having to spend a TON of time during practice working on fielding as opposed to swinging the stick. It DOES make a difference IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

He's never swung the bat that well anyway, so why think it will change? Makes no sense to me.

He's overrated by Reds fans.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I assumed that as Hoover was assigned to Louisville that he is not on the 40 man roster.
    You assumed wrong. He was optioned to Louisville. He is on the 40.

Other than versatility, I don't understand all the love for Frazier. He has never hit for high average at any level. Nor is he a pure power hitter. He's a utility guy at best.
    I think most agree he is a utility guy at best, but if he's a good utility guy, he's very valuable.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He's never swung the bat that well anyway, so why think it will change? Makes no sense to me.

He's overrated by some Reds fans.
    Had to fix that for you.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Here is a fun question.... which number is higher this season for Juan Francisco in the Majors: Walks or home runs?
    Well, Juan has had more home runs than walks at every level since rookie ball, and major league pitchers are usually less erratic than rookie ballers. Give me home runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It's been commented today that the Reds are selling LOW on Francisco. Out of shape, injured, underwheliming spring. I don't see how they are selling high on him.

Maybe if they traded him in the off-season after his unbelievable play at third base last year and his 500 foot homer, maybe then it would be selling high.

As for Frazier, I just don't see any major league baseball team being as right handed as the Reds may now be. Votto, Bruce and 11 right handed hitters is bizarre and I still don't think it will happen.

If it does happen, the Reds will pay a price for the lack of balance. But I guess we'll know soon enough.
    I think we fans often take too short term a view. I very much doubt that coming in out of shape and having an underwhelming spring had a significant affect on the way teams view him. In my book, it's selling high because the longer he spends in the majors, the clearer his limitations will be. Right now, teams can still dream on his potential. But I don't think he's got another step to take.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I imagine there were a lot of factors playing into this trade. Mostly, I believe Francisco's lack of options, Chipper Jones's injury, and Livan Hernandez signing with the Braves to a major league contract were factors 1-3.

If he'd had options, he'd still be a Red in my opinion.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I imagine there were a lot of factors playing into this trade. Mostly, I believe Francisco's lack of options, Chipper Jones's injury, and Livan Hernandez signing with the Braves to a major league contract were factors 1-3.

If he'd had options, he'd still be a Red in my opinion.
    Of this I have NO doubt.

He's overrated by Reds fans.

So is Juan. If his attitude did not fit here.....then they figured they could replace him with someone better in the long run.

From the Talking Chop site:

http://www.talkingchop.com/2012/4/1/...rom-reds-trade

Francisco became available in part because he is out of minor league options. In Hoover, the Braves give up a guy who could be a middle of the rotation workhorse or a reliable setup man in the bullpen. It is unclear how the Reds will use him.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

How many options does Hoover have left?

Via Fay

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ded-francisco/

“We’re closer to breaking with the team,” Baker said. “It was a great opportunity for us. We added to our pool of bullpen guys we need or may need. We wish (Francisco) the best. I really was for the kid from the very beginning.

“Some of the things weren’t working out the way you want them to. Hopefully, he’ll find happiness and get it together in Atlanta. If things go right and go in the proper direction, he could be a force.”

Francisco has huge power, a plus arm and runs well for a big man.

“Talent has never been the issue here,” Baker said.

Francisco was out of options.

“If he had options, it would have been a much easier decision,” Baker said.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Limited tools, questionable durability and a small window to climb through on the current club. Any arm is a gamble, any Brave give away is as well, but it's a good fit, Braves have a power hole and an injured 3rd baseman, chances are the arm is not a pure throw away. Both teams had needs to fill, the Reds needed a slot to open and the Braves needed a body that was ready.

Nice trade for both sides IMO.
    This is exactly how I feel. Francisco's power was something, but his other weaknesses will be very challenging to overcome in the future years. I don't think Hoover will be a stud, but I think he can be useful.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    How many options does Hoover have left?
    All three.

Turn Off Ads?