Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

From the Reds twitter:

#Reds acquire from Braves RHP J.J. Hoover in exchange for IF Juan Francisco. Hoover assigned to Louisville.

https://twitter.com/#!/Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

Hoover is a 6'3" 215 pound RHP, 24 years old. Has a career 3.14 minor league ERA in 401 IP, with a 2.7 BB/9 and 9.5 K/9. Has started 61 of his 99 career games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=hoover001jj-

The tall right-hander features a fastball in the 93-97 mph range and a curve and slider.
    http://braves.scout.com/a.z?s=248&p=8&c=1&nid=3933062

John Sickels profiled Hoover in September and sounds pretty high on him. Sounds like the Reds did well.

Hoover has the four classic pitches: fastball, curveball, slider, changeup. His heater is a tick above average in the low 90s, but works well due to the contrast with his secondary pitches. All three of his non-fastball offerings are rated as solid major league average. Although he doesn't have a genuine plus pitch, none of them are weak, arsenal is diverse, he mixes them well, throws strikes, and has been extremely durable in his career. He's maintained his strikeout rate and K/BB ratios at each level, and he's never had a serious injury. He is a strong fly ball pitcher, but doesn't give up an excessive number of home runs.

For most teams, Hoover would profile as a solid number three or four starter, chewing up innings at a good clip with consistent performance. But the Braves see Hoover's path to the majors as clearing more quickly in the bullpen, and it is hard to argue with the results so far: he's been outstanding in that role in Triple-A. He's been named as one of Atlanta's representatives in the Arizona Fall League, one of the last stepping stones to the majors, and should compete for a relief job on the big league staff in 2012.
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/...atlanta-braves

BA has Hoover with the best slider among Braves prospects. Sorry to see JF go, but Reds seem to have acquired a quality pitching prospect.

Not a bad deal. Rolen better stay healthy.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-01-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't think this is an isolated move...I think it says something more about Bailey and or Leake.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Interesting.

Love the added pitching depth, but 3B is a little thin now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I hate this move.

Hoover was a reliever last year. High strikeout rate, walks his share.

Did well in the AA bullpen, went to AAA late in the season.

Reds might have been down on JF, they got a quality arm for him, but a guy apparently slated for the bullpen.

Hoover could be in Cincy before you know it with the holes in the Reds bullpen due to injury.

I agree that we could see other moves today, possibly other trades.

Also, Reds are so thin in lefty bats, wonder if this means that Willie Harris makes the team. Frazier had a good spring, but is another righty.

I was a big JF fan, sorry he's gone, but Reds life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hoover was a reliever last year. High strikeout rate, walks his share.

Did well in the AA bullpen, went to AAA late in the season.

Reds might have been down on JF, they got a quality arm for him, but a guy apparently slated for the bullpen.

Hoover could be in Cincy before you know it with the holes in the Reds bullpen due to injury.

I agree that we could see other moves today, possibly other trades.

Also, Reds are so thin in lefty bats, wonder if this means that Willie Harris makes the team. Frazier had a good spring, but is another righty.
    As I understand it he was slated for the BP only to help his path to the MLB level...he is widely viewed as a MLB number 3-4 pitcher...adds good depth and he has OPTIONS.

I don't think Homer will be with the Reds on opening day...just a gut feeling, I have no crystal ball or any sources, just thinking out loud.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

High five!

His career minor league peripherals look an awful lot like Nick Masset's 2011.

I hope he doesn't suck!

LOL! GET IT? HOOVER? SUCK?

I slay myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    As I understand it he was slated for the BP only to help his path to the MLB level...he is widely viewed as a MLB number 3-4 pitcher...adds good depth and he has OPTIONS.

I don't think Homer will be with the Reds on opening day...just a gut feeling, I have no crystal ball or any sources, just thinking out loud.
    I hope you are correct. It was a bit deflating to read that Hoover pitched relief last season. JF has his flaws, but I would hate to see him traded for a non-closer relief pitcher.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Bailey and BP to the Phils for Hamels.

April Fools!!!

NL Central champs

He allowed 5 home runs in 105 innings last year, but his GO/AO was .54.

Turn Off Ads?