Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 152

Thread: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

  1. #136
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Shouldn't the emergence of Frazier factor into this as well? He's not a part of the Reds' plans at all if Francisco isn't dealt, as the portly 3B blocked his path and cast a large shadow on the future of the position.

    Were it not for the deal, Frazier likely would have played 3B in Louisville this year.

    If, then, the deal itself is part of a larger set of moves (and you can argue that it most certainly was), Hoover and the major league production of Frazier is a clear win for Cincinnati.

    Atlanta won as well, as they now have a future 3B (or at least the LH part of a platoon) that looks to be at or near league average production levels very cheaply. Too, Atlanta's pen hasn't been great this season. They could have used Hoover. Because he wasn't there, the Braves chose to use Livan Hernandez, Anthony Varvaro, and Miguel Batista, among others. Some have done very, very well; others (like the ones mentions above), notsomuch. The balance is probably a league average guy-- and Hoover's much more than that this season.

    In short, it's a win-win deal in which the Reds won more than the Bravos.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #137
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,117

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Francisco might throw up some Tony Armas-like seasons. Might.

    Overall, that trade was a piece of a larger mission. Walt took a bunch of tweeners, suspects, four-A's and turned them into quality arms.

    Sappelt, Alonso, Wood, Francisco, Volquez, Janish became Latos, Hoover, Marshall and Redmond.

    The only guy I'd really want back is Grandal.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  4. #138
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,384

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Don't think I'd call Redmond a quality arm. Not even sure you can call Hoover that yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  5. #139
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,164

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Shouldn't the emergence of Frazier factor into this as well? He's not a part of the Reds' plans at all if Francisco isn't dealt, as the portly 3B blocked his path and cast a large shadow on the future of the position.

    Were it not for the deal, Frazier likely would have played 3B in Louisville this year.

    If, then, the deal itself is part of a larger set of moves (and you can argue that it most certainly was), Hoover and the major league production of Frazier is a clear win for Cincinnati.

    Atlanta won as well, as they now have a future 3B (or at least the LH part of a platoon) that looks to be at or near league average production levels very cheaply. Too, Atlanta's pen hasn't been great this season. They could have used Hoover. Because he wasn't there, the Braves chose to use Livan Hernandez, Anthony Varvaro, and Miguel Batista, among others. Some have done very, very well; others (like the ones mentions above), notsomuch. The balance is probably a league average guy-- and Hoover's much more than that this season.

    In short, it's a win-win deal in which the Reds won more than the Bravos.
    The Frazier situation is interesting. I don't know if the Reds ever had him penciled in as the heir to Rolen at 3b. Prior to this season I think they viewed him more as a utility player than anything else. He may have been viewed as the heir to Cairo

    Did the Braves really get something in return with Francisco? I saw the comparison to Phillips but Francisco never was rated as highly as Phillips was. Francisco never had the defensive skills that BP had in the minors. I think the Reds hung onto Francisco for as long as they did for the what if factor. How good would he have been if he put it all together? I think they finally got to the place where it was time to cut bait and let some other organization be teased by Francisco.

    As for Hoover he was given a chance earlier this season and hasn't disappointed. Guy has been very good in the pen. I am glad the Reds have Hoover and the Braves have Francisco.

  6. #140
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,628

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I saw the comparison to Phillips but Francisco never was rated as highly as Phillips was.
    The comparison to Phillips was made due to their situation, not skill level.
    Phillips was (at one time) considered an elite prospect who still brought back peanuts when he was traded when his options expired.

  7. #141
    Member Crumbley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    734
    I see it as a good trade for both.

  8. #142
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    I have a lot more faith that JJ Hoover can put together a good MLB career than I do that Juan Francisco can.

  9. Likes:

    dubc47834 (05-31-2013), Trajinous (05-31-2013)

  10. #143
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have a lot more faith that JJ Hoover can put together a good MLB career than I do that Juan Francisco can.
    This.

  11. #144
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,845

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Francisco might throw up some Tony Armas-like seasons. Might.

    Overall, that trade was a piece of a larger mission. Walt took a bunch of tweeners, suspects, four-A's and turned them into quality arms.

    Sappelt, Alonso, Wood, Francisco, Volquez, Janish became Latos, Hoover, Marshall and Redmond.

    The only guy I'd really want back is Grandal.
    Yep. This can't be overstated.
    I thought for a long time that Jocketty was overrated and Krivsky should get most of the credit for this club. Krivsky should still get a lot of credit, but what Jocketty has done in the last three years has been fantastic, especially this past offseason when he brought in Latos, Marshall, Hoover and Ludwick. He has chosen the right guys to keep (Frazier, Cozart, Cueto) and the right guys to trade (Alonso, Francisco, Sappelt, Stewart, Wood, Volquez). Let's just hope the Mesoraco/Grandal choice plays out that way as well.
    Last edited by Benihana; 09-15-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

  12. #145
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    With those numbers Juan could be leading off for the Reds
    Dude. That sent me into a laughing fit. Hilarious.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  13. #146
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Back to Hoover.

    He seems fearless to me. I'd still like to see him get a shot at starting though. We know he can relieve. That's all he's done as a Red. Before becoming a Red, 50% of his time in the Braves organization was spent successfully starting in their farm system. He never had a minor league season with his e.r.a. higher than around 3.50 (off the top of my head).
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  14. #147
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,565

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Trade winner by a knockout: Reds
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  15. #148
    JoeyBats19 Spider Tre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    159

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    when i first saw the title, i thought we traded Hoover back to Atlanta for Francisco lol
    Reds record when attended in 2011: 0-1
    Reds record when attended in 2010: 1-0

  16. Likes:

    REDREAD (05-31-2013)

  17. #149
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,522

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Back to Hoover.

    He seems fearless to me. I'd still like to see him get a shot at starting though. We know he can relieve. That's all he's done as a Red. Before becoming a Red, 50% of his time in the Braves organization was spent successfully starting in their farm system. He never had a minor league season with his e.r.a. higher than around 3.50 (off the top of my head).
    Hoover should start. Chapman should start. Cingrani should start. Leake should start. Arroyo should start. Latos should start. Bailey should start. Cueto should start. I've even heard posters say that Lecure should start. Let everybody start.

    Simon and Broxton can hold down the bullpen, with Ondrusek.

    But Simon is a former starter. Maybe him too. . . . And didn't Ondrusek begin as a starter. Wait, now.

  18. #150
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,522

    Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yep. This can't be overstated.
    I thought for a long time that Jocketty was overrated and Krivsky should get most of the credit for this club. Krivsky should still get a lot of credit, but what Jocketty has done in the last three years has been fantastic, especially this past offseason when he brought in Latos, Marshall, Hoover and Ludwick. He has chosen the right guys to keep (Frazier, Cozart, Cueto) and the right guys to trade (Alonso, Francisco, Sappelt, Stewart, Wood, Volquez). Let's just hope the Mesoraco/Grandal choice plays out that way as well.
    Todd Frazier is hitting .230 and his OPS is trending down toward .700. I'm a big Cozart fan but some folks think he is a poor hitter, a good field no-hit guy. Travis Wood is having a good year with a poor team.

    I think we all need to give these players time to determine how great all these moves were. Many of the guys the Reds traded away have some talent. We'll see how it all works out.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25