Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

I'm confused as to why they sent him down. I like the trade, but would have liked to see Hoover start with the big team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

They must like Chapman and Francis more.

Thanks Cinreds21. That is great that he has all his options. This really gives the Reds more flexability with him.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    They must like Chapman and Francis more.
    Or someone else.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I'd bet Hoover is one of the first relievers recalled from AAA as long as he pitches decently in Louisville.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Me,I'm just glad Walt traded one guy for a pitcher.

The more I study this, the less I like it. Francisco has impact potential and seemed a more likely heir for Rolen to me. Frazier is more the heir to Cairo. That's OK, but he had an option and didn't exactly tear up AAA last year. This decision could have been postponed until JF had more of a chance. Hoover fits in well with the likes of Ondrusek, Fisher, Lecure, Carroll, Brackman et al. Mediocre minor league starters who are probably looking at a future of being a fringe reliever. Maybe the Reds can flip him to San Diego or Seattle, where all those Fly Balls won't be such an issue, in exchange for something they can actually use. Hoover, Janish and another kid for Brad Boxberger.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sounds like Juan may have been looking for a change of scenery. That last piece by Fay elluded to some tension between the Reds and Juan. Don't love the trade but I really didn't care for the Massett for Griffey deal either. Hopefully Hoover is more Nick and less Maloney.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The more I study this, the less I like it. Francisco has impact potential and seemed a more likely heir for Rolen to me. Frazier is more the heir to Cairo. That's OK, but he had an option and didn't exactly tear up AAA last year. This decision could have been postponed until JF had more of a chance. Hoover fits in well with the likes of Ondrusek, Fisher, Lecure, Carroll, Brackman et al. Mediocre minor league starters who are probably looking at a future of being a fringe reliever. Maybe the Reds can flip him to San Diego or Seattle, where all those Fly Balls won't be such an issue, in exchange for something they can actually use. Hoover, Janish and another kid for Brad Boxberger.
    Personally, I saw Francisco as the heir to Willie Green
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Dusty never seemed to like Juan.
    Francisco had several opportunities in the last couple of years to rack up serious playing time and establish himself as a major league regular. It's not exactly like Scott Rolen has been playing all 9 inninge of 162 games.

Each time Francisco either was or got hurt.

Out of options, he reports to spring training out of shape and goes to the trainer and says he's hurt.......

I don't much mind a manager that doesn't care for a player like that.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I like selling high on Fransisco and opening up a spot for Frazier, but I'm always wary of trading for a Braves pitcher. I think Fransisco will have a nice little major league career along the lines of a Marcus Thames. He'll hit for power and start from time to time, but he'll never get on base enough to be a regular.
    I hear this said a lot, but historically--well, for the past ~20 years or so--the Reds have gotten the better end of deals from the Braves, even when including deals involving pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Personally, I saw Francisco as the heir to Willie Green
    I saw Juan as the heir to Edwin Encarnacion and he similarly fell out of favor not through talent but through attitude/preparation/work ethic.

Let someone else shake that bottle and hope for some champagne to hit the glass. That seems to Walt's MO of late. Trade high risk/high reward for steady-Eddy, known commodities even if the ceiling is much smaller.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I hear this said a lot, but historically--well, for the past ~20 years or so--the Reds have gotten the better end of deals from the Braves, even when including deals involving pitchers.
    Adam Wainwright was a Braves pitcher as well.

Not to mention, I feel like it's a new era in Atlanta. There have been changes to the organization, so I don't know how much weight I'd put into this either.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Rick Mahler was worth getting so we didn't have to see his Pedro Martinez act everytime we faced him. Goodness he was a Reds killer.

Never a big fan of JF longterm. I was alright with him as a caddy for Rolen and LH hitter on the bench. I don't see him as a long range answer at third base. I just think that major league pitchers will soon have a full book on him and I believe he will make it easy on them by his pitch selection. Certainly not sold on him defensively either.

Not sure why Hoover is such an extreme flyball pitcher - especially with a pretty decent slider. That does worry me a bit, but he is more than I expected for Juan. Another bright side to this is the fact that the Reds won't just hand the job to JF, post-Rolen, but will instead have to find a legit 3B.

Turn Off Ads?