Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

Re: Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stuff is certainly better, but his extreme fly ball tendencies are scary. For 2010 and 2011, his combined groundball rate is just under 30%.
    Would it be fair to say, it sounds like the Braves traded us another Matt Belisle?

I think the Reds made the determination than JF was not a bench player. He wouldn't do well in the role of pinch hitter and spot starter. Not every player can do that. He was out of options so they had to move him. His weight and his free swinging bothered me as it wasn't getting any better. If he turns into Terry Pendleton in Atl, more power to them

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Francisco was a strange case. Maybe he'll put it together.
    Regardless, now the team is in dire need of LH bats.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Regardless, now the team is in dire need of LH bats.
    No question. We've been in need of LH bats and LH arms for awhile now. Let's hope Walt brings in a Michael Tucker type guy sooner rather than later

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

If the Reds are still in the race come late June or July, I'm sure Walt will have no problem adding a left-handed bat for the stretch run.

In regards to the Francisco-for-Hoover trade, it seems RedsZone is nearly unanimous that it was a good deal for the Reds. Perhaps a good deal for both teams, but I haven't heard one person that seems upset about it. That's a rarity these days, even for a somewhat minor trade.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Not to mention, I feel like it's a new era in Atlanta. There have been changes to the organization, so I don't know how much weight I'd put into this either.
    Yep. Trading with Schuerholz was one thing. Frank Wren and his boys scare me a lot less.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I was worried about losing Francisco on waivers and not getting anything for him but $10,000 or whatever it is. Instead, the Reds got a legitimate prospect. Sure, he's probably not going to end up much more than a middle reliever, but Juan Francisco's inability to take a walk plus his lackluster defense meant he had very little to offer the Reds. Sure, he'd be a nice left-handed bat off the bench, but his lack of versatility really hurt his value. I love this trade just because the Reds received a bit more than I ever expected.

On another note, I was surprised when the Reds added him to the 40-man roster a few years ago, and I can't help but wonder if they would've been better off waiting one more year before adding him.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I was worried about losing Francisco on waivers and not getting anything for him but $10,000 or whatever it is. Instead, the Reds got a legitimate prospect. Sure, he's probably not going to end up much more than a middle reliever, but Juan Francisco's inability to take a walk plus his lackluster defense meant he had very little to offer the Reds. Sure, he'd be a nice left-handed bat off the bench, but his lack of versatility really hurt his value. I love this trade just because the Reds received a bit more than I ever expected.

On another note, I was surprised when the Reds added him to the 40-man roster a few years ago, and I can't help but wonder if they would've been better off waiting one more year before adding him.
    Two things.... first, I think both guys have value, but it is limited. Hoover because he is likely to be a reliever and well, 60-70 innings in itself is just limiting. Francisco, as you noted, has issues on both sides of the ball that make him suspect to playing day in and day out, but if he is used correctly there is some value to be had with him. Trading one limited player for another makes sense when you each need the other type of guy.

As for the second thing, did the Reds add him to the 40 man before they had to? I thought he was added in September one year when he was going to have to be added that December anyways, so it didn't actually waste a year. Is that wrong?

FYI - Braves fans take on the trade.
    http://www.braves-nation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=26636

It seems to me that the Reds braintrust wanted Frazier on the team even though it would mean losing a LH bat on the 25 man roster & needing to deal Francisco who couldn't be sent to AAA. That says they really like Frazier over Francisco. We have been waiting a while to see who the Reds would pick to take over after Rolen and it looks like Frazier is the guy to get the opportunity.

I am ok with this deal. I have my doubts that Francisco can be successful in the bigs. I think we likely got good value in trading with the Braves. They had young pitching depth & needed help at 3B. Really can't ask for a better trading partner if we want to deal Francisco.

The game's called "baseball", not "slugging". Much rather have Frazier on the roster IMO. Good trade.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I was optimistic about JF...until I saw him try to hit MLB pitching.

Next.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The game's called "baseball", not "slugging". Much rather have Frazier on the roster IMO. Good trade.
    Ha, well said Pedro, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I doubt any of the Reds brass cared for the fact that he came to spring training out shape and overweight.
    That'll do it every time.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

Francisco, 24, also did not endear himself to the Reds for, among other things, showing up to camp overweight and failing to properly rehabilitate a right calf injury over the winter.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    This.

If there is ever a day where I find myself wishing Juan Fransisco were still on this roster I will be shocked.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

So it seems that Hoover had some success starting. John Sickles profiled him as a #3-#4 starter with decent velocity.

Couldn't the Reds ease him into the rotation at some point? While I realize some pitchers are better suited for the bullpen, I never understood sending a pitcher to the bullpen, when they have shown some success at starting.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

Couldn't the Reds ease him into the rotation at some point? While I realize some pitchers are better suited for the bullpen, I never understood sending a pitcher to the bullpen, when they have shown some success at starting.
    He might start out of the bullpen becuase of need and his success there.

He could convert back to a starter next year.

Turn Off Ads?