Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Braves Acquire Juan Francisco from the Reds for RHP J.J. Hoover

Re: Braves Acquire Juan Francisco from the Reds for RHP J.J. Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Why? What is it about Leake that inspires all this foolishness? (From Dusty too). Twenty wins in 2 years? Just put him in the rotation and leave him alone.
    Because Leake hasn't show himself any better than Bailey and I am talking about the 4 spot. Bailey finally got himself in shape, the Reds prepped him better than they have since he has been in the organization mechanically........and Leake has options.

Financially, the Reds feel bound to give Arroyo(3rd spot) and Chapman(5th spot) chances to get a return on the investment. The Reds have also invested more into Homer than Leake right now. Wins mean little in overall pitcher evaluation. In that regard, Cueto is overpaid.

It would also put 2 guys in AAA in case Bailey doesn't improve, Chapman or Arroyo can't cut it as a starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have trouble envisioning JF having a long tenure in the majors with his lack of plate discipline. Pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I have trouble envisioning JF having a long tenure in the majors with his lack of plate discipline. Pun intended.
    Are you trying to say he has no self-control at the dish?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Are you trying to say he has no self-control at the dish?
    &

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Because Leake hasn't show himself any better than Bailey and I am talking about the 4 spot.
    In the last two years, Leake has won 20 games, (straight out of college) and probably could have won a few more last year if they hadn't ended his season in August. Those were his first two years of professional baseball.

In the past two years, after having much more professional experience, Bailey has won 13 games.

Just look at last season and judge by any statistic- on paper how can you support saying that Leake is not superior. Maybe I'm missing something.

And, after spending the winter, pursuing a philosophy of going for it all this year, you're saying that all of a sudden the Reds should start making decisions based on trying to get a return on investnment. Put the best 25 players on the field now! You don't send Mike Leake to Louisville.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 04-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.

I completely agree with Mutaman. Leake was our 2nd best starter last year and he is far more consistent than Homer. I still think both of them should make the rotation to start the year tho. Personally, I think people are overlooking Arroyo's year last year. What happens if he has the same year or worse... I say he should be close to the hot seat as well!

Quote Originally Posted by TuneSquad View Post
    I completely agree with Mutaman. Leake was our 2nd best starter last year and he is far more consistent than Homer. I still think both of them should make the rotation to start the year tho. Personally, I think people are overlooking Arroyo's year last year. What happens if he has the same year or worse... I say he should be close to the hot seat as well!
    If it wasn't for his contract, he would be. He might even have missed the cut. But we can't trade his contract, especially with all of his deferred money. And he makes too much to be a MR. I am among those that he will be nowhere near as bad as last year though.

I suspect Walt and Dusty will agree with the Rage and fool around with Leake, either sending him to the minors or the bullpen, while they see if Chappy can start, or if Bonson has anything left, or if Homer can ever get it together.

And when the dust clears, Leake will be called back and will win about 15 games (which we all agree means little in overall pitcher evaluation). Hopefully Leake can handle having his head messed up, which we already know Homer can't.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 04-01-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Leake stays in the rotation all year long. They shut him down last year so he could go 200 innings this year and hes by far our third best starter even tho he will be in the 5 spot to start the season. The Reds front office/manager/whoever makes the decisions would be crazy not to have Mike Leake in this rotation. If he was inserted in the bullpen or sent to AAA then id have to call Walt a hypocrit because hes not trying to win "NOW". Mike Leake will win 15 games this year and only will get better. Im a fan of Homer and I really think this could be the year when he figures it all out but theres no way in h*** he gets a spot instead of Leake in this rotation. Looks like Homer has to get traded or mabey we find an organization so dumb that they would take Arroyo off our hands. I do agree that Aroldis deserves a spot in the rotation based upon his spring but I just can't see how Leake would be the odd man out based on numbers. I can see the whole argument about who has options and stuff but if were going by numbers theres no way. I seriously would be upset if Leake isnt pitching every 5 days. Just talking and reading these posts has me getting a weird feeling about what might happen before thursday. Looks like someone is going to have to get ahold of Tim Tebow and have him pray for our Reds.

This is the year

woooohoooooo GREAT NEWS.

Im so happy i dont have to watch him swing a bat anymore this season.

Sorry i was not a fan at all of the willy Mo little brother.

If JJ Hoover can amount to anything and not blow too many leads im a real happy camper right now.

I think Francisco has the higher ceiling and yet the lower floor. If that makes sense. Once a trade is made don't look back. Go Mr. Hoover.

Hoover pitched for the futures last night and I believe struck out the side. IIRC he had a pretty good out pitch he was putting people away with (assume slider).

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Hoover pitched for the futures last night and I believe struck out the side. IIRC he had a pretty good out pitch he was putting people away with (assume slider).
    Walked one, K'd three. No hits.

My concern is that he's been described as a fly ball pitcher, but he's young enough and good enough where that can be changed. He has great stats, great stuff and is on the track to the majors in a hurry. He projects as either a reliever or a middle of the rotation starter. He was starting in the minor last year for the Braves and he put up decent numbers, but they switched him to relief at some point during the season where he really flourished. I would love to see a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Leake, Chapman, Hoover in the next year or two. And there's still Corcino as well.

After the trades we made, the farm is still stacked which is amazing. Soto, Lutz, Phipps and DDG are all going to be good.
    Last edited by joshua; 04-04-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?