Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This Date In Reds History (4/1/12): Past Lineups

This Date In Reds History (4/1/12): Past Lineups

It's back! The first This Date In Reds History of the year. I apologize for being unable to complete posting the games last year, as real-life stuff got in the way and I had to pull the plug in September. Hopefully, I will be able to finish the entire season this year.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with TDIRH, we will "turn back the clock" in five-year increments and look at games played on this date. This year, we will feature the following seasons--1957, 1962, 1967, 1972, 1977, 1982, 1987, 1992, 1997, 2002, and 2007. We may also look into some seasons from earlier in Reds history, such as 1922, 1927, 1932, 1937, 1942, 1947, and 1952.

I started this in the middle of the 2007 season when a lot of us were puzzled at Jerry Narron's lineups, and I thought it would be interesting to see what some of the lineups in the past looked like on that date. Several of us have had a lot of fun with this since then, and I hope it will be just as enjoyable this year! So let's get started!

15 years ago (1997), an 11-4 win on Opening Day at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Rockies.

Colorado
    Eric Young 2b
    Ellis Burks cf
    Dante Bichette lf
    Larry Walker rf
    Andres Galarraga 1b
    Vinny Castilla 3b
    Kirt Manwaring c
    Walt Weiss ss
    Kevin Ritz p

Cincinnati
    Deion Sanders cf
    Willie Greene 3b
    Barry Larkin ss
    Reggie Sanders rf
    Hal Morris 1b
    Ruben Sierra lf
    Bret Boone 2b
    Eddie Taubensee c
    John Smiley p

WP: John Smiley (1-0)
    LP: Kevin Ritz (0-1)
    Sv: Kevin Jarvis (1)
    HR: COL - Vinny Castilla (1), Ellis Burks (1). CIN - Willie Greene (1).

Pokey Reese made his major-league debut for the Reds in this game as a defensive substitute at SS for Barry Larkin in the ninth inning.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This Date In Reds History (4/1/12): Past Lineups

Welcome back Klu. Love these threads.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Re: This Date In Reds History (4/1/12): Past Lineups

10 years ago (2002), a 5-4 win on Opening Day at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Cubs.

Chicago Cubs
    Delino DeShields 2b
    Corey Patterson cf
    Sammy Sosa rf
    Fred McGriff 1b
    Roosevelt Brown lf
    Alex S. Gonzalez ss
    Todd Hundley c
    Chris Stynes 3b
    Jon Lieber p

Cincinnati
    Todd Walker 2b
    Barry Larkin ss
    Ken Griffey Jr. cf
    Sean Casey 1b
    Aaron Boone 3b
    Adam Dunn lf
    Juan Encarnacion rf
    Jason LaRue c
    Joey Hamilton p

WP: Danny Graves (1-0)
    LP: Jeff Fassero (0-1)
    HR: CIN - Todd Walker (1).

This was the final Opening Day at Riverfront Stadium.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?