Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Francisco-Hoover

Francisco-Hoover

Juan Francisco is probably just past prospect status as far as playing time in the bigs go. I still consider him a prospect. Hypothetically, where would JF rank on the Reds' prospect list? Certainly, top five. In terms of upside potential, I think Francisco has the higher ceiling.

Seems like the Reds traded down in getting Hoover for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Francisco-Hoover

I would have Francisco at #9 or #10 on my personal list, had he qualified. Essentially interchangable with Todd Frazer, but behind Mesoraco, Corcino, Y Rod, Stephenson, Hamilton, Cozart, Soto, Gregorius and H Rod.

Francisco's overall value is one thing, but he might have had higher value for the Reds.

He did two important things - hit right handed pitching very well and play third base. These would have fit the Reds needs for 2012.

Overall, I was a big fan, although I wasn't happy with the overweight/injury thing. These soured me on JF a bit. I do believe the Reds decided to dump him because of these issues rather than talent concerns.

I was pleased that the Reds got a AAA quality arm for him, somebody who could potentially help the Reds this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Francisco's overall value is one thing, but he might have had higher value for the Reds.

He did two important things - hit right handed pitching very well and play third base. These would have fit the Reds needs for 2012.

Overall, I was a big fan, although I wasn't happy with the overweight/injury thing. These soured me on JF a bit. I do believe the Reds decided to dump him because of these issues rather than talent concerns.

I was pleased that the Reds got a AAA quality arm for him, somebody who could potentially help the Reds this year.
    If Todd Frazier were a lefty, this trade would be a no-brainer. I still think it's a good one for us in the long run, but having Willie Harris as our only lefty bench bat is a bit troubling. Then again, so is only having 6 guys in the bullpen to start the season, one of whom is shaking off an injury and another who's been groomed in the offseason as a starter.

Would Francisco have gotten enough AB's off the bench for us to develop? I see that as a significant reason for his becoming tradeable.

I agree with TD that the Reds traded down. Hoover seems like an interchangeble part to me. Some one in the Fisher to Lecure range. Adds depth, but lacking in upside. Francisco may crash and burn, but he has a chance to be an impact contributor.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?