Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marshall named Reds' Closer

Marshall named Reds' Closer

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere yet.

LHP Sean Marshall will serve as the Reds' closer, manager Dusty Baker announced. The job was open this spring after RHP Ryan Madson suffered a season-ending elbow injury. Marshall, 29, was acquired by the Reds from the Cubs in a December trade. In six big-league seasons, all with Chicago, he has a total of seven saves -- five of them coming last year. For his career, he is 32-40 with a 3.96 ERA in 292 appearances (59 starts).

(Yahoo! Sports)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marshall named Reds' Closer

Not surprised, he was the most logical choice to take the job. The interesting part will be how Baker uses the rest of the bullpen.
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I really thought they'd give it to Josh Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    As Tom Lasorda said in those playoff commercials three or four years ago, "It's your duty, Judy!"
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

And I thought the first logical shot should go to Arredondo. Not that I don't think Marshall can do the job, quite the contrary - I'm just not sold that the closer is the most important role in the pen anymore, really, in the limited way it is used, winning only, 3 runs or less. Seems to me a slam dunk set up man is maybe even more valuable since he doesn't work under the same severe restrictions (which are artificial but Baker is a particular adherent) and is therefore available in more situations.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Judge Judy had a better shot. (Too easy, I know.)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    And I thought the first logical shot should go to Arredondo. Not that I don't think Marshall can do the job, quite the contrary - I'm just not sold that the closer is the most important role in the pen anymore, really, in the limited way it is used, winning only, 3 runs or less. Seems to me a slam dunk set up man is maybe even more valuable since he doesn't work under the same severe restrictions (which are artificial but Baker is a particular adherent) and is therefore available in more situations.
    Agreed 100%.

Marshall would best be used in whichever late inning the opponent's best LH hitters come to the plate.

Good luck to Marshall. I suspect if he falters at some point or what not, that Arredondo is the next man up.

I'm not following the "Vote for Arredondo" movement for the 9th inning. It surely can't be based on last year's performance. He was too frequently wild for me to want him to come into the 9th inning of a close game. As we learned from Coco, walks in a close game kill you and open the door to blowing leads.

Gimme a year of shutdown setup guy and I might trust him that late in the game on a regular basis.

And if that is a good criteria, than we have the right man. Marshall has two shutdown years under his belt in setup already. And he is not a lefty only reliever anymore than Billy Wagner was. Nick Massett can get lefties out better than he does righties, as can Ondrusek. Bill Bray can get righties out better than he does lefties. The continued myth of handedness in bullpen setup is a mystery in the information era.
    Last edited by traderumor; 04-03-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I am guessing a year further removed from tj surgery he looks more like stud he was with the angels. It is possible to look beyond years a guy is with the reds...

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not following the "Vote for Arredondo" movement for the 9th inning. It surely can't be based on last year's performance. He was too frequently wild for me to want him to come into the 9th inning of a close game. As we learned from Coco, walks in a close game kill you and open the door to blowing leads.

Gimme a year of shutdown setup guy and I might trust him that late in the game on a regular basis.

And if that is a good criteria, than we have the right man. Marshall has two shutdown years under his belt in setup already. And he is not a lefty only reliever anymore than Billy Wagner was. Nick Massett can get lefties out better than he does righties, as can Ondrusek. Bill Bray can get righties out better than he does lefties. The continued myth of handedness in bullpen setup is a mystery in the information era.
    I was for Arredondo in the 9th, but its mostly because I wanted Marshall available any time in the game when more important situations arise. Not really wanting to waste Marshall to get three outs against the bottom of the order in the 9th with a 2 run lead. I'd rather he be free to pitch the inning earlier when the middle of the order comes up.

Now, if the 9th inning ends up being when the biggest situation was coming, than I'd gladly let him close. The closer merely needs to be competent (and Arredondo is that at a minimum). I don't want the shut down reliever limited to solely the 9th inning
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I am guessing a year further removed from tj surgery he looks more like stud he was with the angels. It is possible to look beyond years a guy is with the reds...
    But then, there was that whole tj thing that makes it hard to use that history as a point of reference since maybe the previous effectiveness/nastiness led to the need for the tj surgery. The fact remains that his most recent performance and post tj arm happens to be with the Reds. So, the snide remark is just wasted snark, n/a in this case. We don't have pre-surgery Arredondo. We have a reliever who was average last year with a bit of wildness. Just because there are tj success stories, does that mean that in all cases they return to their pre-surgery performance? Of course not, an awfully big assumption has to be made on your part to make your snarky remark accurate.
    Last edited by traderumor; 04-03-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I don't know if I trust Arredondo to close games, but I do believe in your logic here for have Marshall pitching before the 9th. I think I'd stick Ondrusek in the closer role. In reality, it should be closer by committee, but we know that idea won't be embraced.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I was for Arredondo in the 9th, but its mostly because I wanted Marshall available any time in the game when more important situations arise. Not really wanting to waste Marshall to get three outs against the bottom of the order in the 9th with a 2 run lead. I'd rather he be free to pitch the inning earlier when the middle of the order comes up.

Now, if the 9th inning ends up being when the biggest situation was coming, than I'd gladly let him close. The closer merely needs to be competent (and Arredondo is that at a minimum). I don't want the shut down reliever limited to solely the 9th inning
    That is a different bullpen philosophy than is employed by our manager, and really any manager in the game today. I would agree with you in principal, that would be my preferred prevailing strategy for bullpen usage also, but then I also get that if they get to your closer early, you still have innings to cover with inferior relievers. If Dusty would just use his closer in the 8th occasionally, it would help with what you are talking about. Since he doesn't, a close game in the 9th is best suited for Marshall out of the available arms.

And I don't agree that current bullpen usage is a slave to the save stat. But a save is the definition of a close game in the 9th. A three run lead can disappear pretty fast. A reliable, consistent performer in that spot is a good strategy. Is it optimal? I'll leave that subject for SABR essays.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    But then, there was that whole tj thing that makes it hard to use that history as a point of reference since maybe the previous effectiveness/nastiness led to the need for the tj surgery. The fact remains that his most recent performance and post tj arm happens to be with the Reds. So, the snide remark is just wasted snark, n/a in this case. We don't have pre-surgery Arredondo. We have a reliever who was average last year with a bit of wildness. Just because there are tj success stories, does that mean that in all cases they return to their pre-surgery performance? Of course not, an awfully big assumption has to be made on your part to make your snarky remark accurate.
    It wasn't snark. I was pointing out he has more of a history than that which you referenced.

On top of that, I am not sure where your anger is coming from. I apologize for mentioning, I guess, that I think he is worth a look if Marshall were to falter. He's looked good this spring with good command...in short, a lot like he looked pre-TJ surgery. If that were to continue, and Marshall faltered, I wouldn't mind him.

Not sure why you are so angry.

Turn Off Ads?