Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds claim Alfredo Simon

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Reds claim Alfredo Simon

He needs to locate his fastball anywhere but right down the middle of the plate. Masset does that crap too. Set them up with a well located fastball barely on the edge or missing the strike zone, and then hit them with the offspeed and breaking stuff.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think this guy is a waste of the Reds and Orioles time. He'll be 31 in a month. he's never been successful at the major league level, and oh by the way there's a chance he killed somebody and got away with it.

I'm all for looking at advanced metrics to see if ERA doesn't tell a pitcher's full story, but I think this guy has had plenty of chances to throw strikes and miss bats. He doesn't do either.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I think this guy is a waste of the Reds and Orioles time. He'll be 31 in a month. he's never been successful at the major league level, and oh by the way there's a chance he killed somebody and got away with it.

I'm all for looking at advanced metrics to see if ERA doesn't tell a pitcher's full story, but I think this guy has had plenty of chances to throw strikes and miss bats. He doesn't do either.
    Agreed.

Sometimes we look so hard we miss the obvious. The Reds had simialr choices in AAA. If they were going to claim somebody, it should have been a LH bat.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

He certainly looked abysmal last night.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    He certainly looked abysmal last night.
    Abysmal? He struck out the side...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Abysmal? He struck out the side...
    And gave up a 2 run-shot that put the game out of reach.

Simon looks to me like the guy you'd keep in AAA as injury insurance, but not the guy you want on the big league club. I assume once Masset is healthy, he'll be the first one to go.

I assume once Masset is healthy, he'll be the first one to go
    Could be. Could also be Lecure who has not thrown well in a while. Tough first outing, poor spring and he did not finish well in 2011. I'm a big Lecure fan, but....

Simon's got a live arm and he can strike people out. Give him a few appearances before making a final judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Don't the Orioles need guys like this? They're god awful...
    I was away on vacation for a few days and didn't even know the Reds had picked him up until he came into the game Saturday night.
    I think it says a lot that pitching starved Orioles waived this guy. I have seen him pitch for the Orioles and yes he throws hard but down the middle for the most part. I guess the Reds just needed someone to fill in for Masset and he was the best available at the time. I really don't expect him to stick around for long though.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Could be. Could also be Lecure who has not thrown well in a while. Tough first outing, poor spring and he did not finish well in 2011. I'm a big Lecure fan, but....

Simon's got a live arm and he can strike people out. Give him a few appearances before making a final judgment.
    I've looked at Simon's career stats and I'm not impressed. LeCure has shown a better ability over a longer period of time. LeCure is usually used in the mop-up role situation anyhow.

I've looked at Simon's career stats and I'm not impressed. LeCure has shown a better ability over a longer period of time. LeCure is usually used in the mop-up role situation anyhow.
    Watch both guys throw for a few games, too. Simon has better pure stuff than Lecure. I like Sam, but he has not been very effective going back to the last couple months of 2011.

Time is the Revelator.

Watch both guys throw for a few games, too. Simon has better pure stuff than Lecure. I like Sam, but he has not been very effective going back to the last couple months of 2011.
    But. Mustache.

So did Volquez. "Better pure stuff" doesn't mean more outs and better numbers.

LeCure is 3 years younger and as I mentioned before, is in a different role than what Simon would be. I'll take my chances with LeCure moving forward in a mop-up kind of role.

Would you prefer Simon on the club over Masset?

So did Volquez. "Better pure stuff" doesn't mean more outs and better numbers.

LeCure is 3 years younger and as I mentioned before, is in a different role than what Simon would be. I'll take my chances with LeCure moving forward in a mop-up kind of role.

Would you prefer Simon on the club over Masset?
    My thinking is that you need to see both guys multiple times. All I know is that Simon was throwing 95, and he struck out both Reyes and Bonifacio with a flurry of breaking balls. That's enough for me to keep running him out there.

I'll take Simon over Masset if Masset has a bum shoulder and is throwing 87 with no command. Obviously, if Masset is back to his old self, it's no contest. I wouldn't plug Masset back into the pen after he throws a couple side sessions -- send him to AAA on rehab.

To make smart decisions, they have to go on more than what a guy has done in the past. They have to look clearly at what he is capable of now.

My thinking is that you need to see both guys multiple times. All I know is that Simon was throwing 95, and he struck out both Reyes and Bonifacio with a flurry of breaking balls. That's enough for me to keep running him out there.

I'll take Simon over Masset if Masset has a bum shoulder and is throwing 87 with no command. Obviously, if Masset is back to his old self, it's no contest. I wouldn't plug Masset back into the pen after he throws a couple side sessions -- send him to AAA on rehab.

To make smart decisions, they have to go on more than what a guy has done in the past. They have to look clearly at what he is capable of now.
    Simon does not have an impressive walk rate and he gives up a pretty sizable number of home runs. For the record, his career K rates aren't all that impressive either. I think you're high on him based on 1 performance. The body of work says he's nothing to be too excited about (though he did have a career year last year).

I think you're high on him based on 1 performance.
    Since when does "worth a shot" and "let's see more of him" qualify as "high on him"?

I'm simply objecting to declarations of his worthlessness based on the fact that he gave up a home run.

Turn Off Ads?