Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Implications of Votto Extension on Farm System?

Implications of Votto Extension on Farm System?

Now that Mr. Votto will soon be signed, sealed, and delivered, how will this affect players like Neftali Soto, Donald Lutz, and other 1B prospects? Are we looking at position changes? Trade bait?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Implications of Votto Extension on Farm System?

Now that Mr. Votto will soon be signed, sealed, and delivered, how will this affect players like Neftali Soto, Donald Lutz, and other 1B prospects? Are we looking at position changes? Trade bait?
    I would move Lutz to the OF, starting now or at some point this season. Soto is trade bait. Other 1B prospects, such as they are, playing to impress other organizations

Soto and Lutz are interesting cases. Both have really emerged as prospects. Lutz is still the learning the game, and while he's a big guy, he's reported to be pretty athletic. He might be able to handle LF. The reports on Soto are that he's becoming a pretty good first baseman, which isn't surprising since he was drafted as a SS. What is surprising--if you've ever seen him run--is that he was drafted as a SS. He has catcher speed, which is probably why he was tried there. Seems like 3B would be a natural solution, but they've already done that. So I don't know. Would hate to trade a bat like that without giving it a chance. The swing is lovely.

I'd stick Lutz in LF and keep him there. He has played 1B for several years so switching him back in an emergency or for a short period should not be tough. Get him acclimated to the OF. With Soto, don't rush to deal him, but if he brings something solid elsewhere at the deadline or the offseason, don't hesitate to pull the trigger.

I'm wondering if they give him more looks at 3B at L'Ville though. I've seen Valaika listed as the Bats' 3B, but I'd like to see Dorn at 1B and Soto at 3B maybe (unless he's just that bad and it's just a foregone conclusion).

As far as the farm system in general? I believe it puts more even more emphasis on it. With JV's monster deal, top prospects who can contribute on a high level while still less expensive will literally be like gold. Votto, Bruce, the top three in the rotation and the backend of the bullpen are gonna get paid - every spot you can fill with low-cost young talent frees up resources to fill a hole elsewhere.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 04-03-2012 at 05:03 PM.

With Todd Frazier's ability to spell Votto, I'd move Lutz and Soto to LF immediately. I'd also probably try to revisit/see if Sean Buckley can't make it as a 3B or an OF.

Another interesting component is that it probably prevents the Reds from drafting big stick 1B for the next 3-5 years. In other words, I can't imagine them drafting another player like Alonso in the first couple rounds, assuming the player can't play anywhere other than 1B.
    Go BLUE!!!

It really is surprising to look at how much 1B talent we seem to have all of a sudden in the minors. Soto in AAA, Lutz in A+, Buckley in A... all of them have the potential to be major league starters someday.

All of them have spent time at different positions, but each case is fairly different. Soto has the most experience around the diamond, but has turned into a great 1B defender and it would perhaps would be a risky move to try to move him around. Lutz is still relatively inexperienced and has time to learn a new position, though he's not reportedly good on defense even at first base. He did seem to perform acceptably in LF when given the chance this spring training. Buckley has lots of 3B experience and has the most time to improve his play there, but was also a very poor defender and will be competing for time with another prospect, Junior Arias.

There are gonna be a lot of questions surrounding them, and all future minor league first basemen going forward. Can they adapt to a different position? Is it advantageous to try at this point in their careers? What value do they have to the Reds as first basemen? At what point do you make them trade bait? Is it even feasible that we might have a DH role to fill in the near future, if thats how the MLB goes? It's definitely a storyline to follow, because 12 years with a no trade clause at one position is an unprecedented amount of time for one position to be blocked.

Mike, thanks for starting the thread. I had planned on putting one up, but hesitated until the ink is dry on the contract, but it looks like a done deal, so it should be a good conversation.

Folks have touched "all the bases," so to speak (pun fully intended). One thing that I would suggest is that the club has shown they're no beyond drafting someone at a position that is potentially (or in this case, literally) blocked. They did with Alonso and they also did with Grandal. In fact, they let Alonso last a long time developing and it paid off. I would imagine that Lutz will ultimately be traded, but I'm assuming that it's not something they'll rush into. Let him have great success at AAA and see what percolates. And, as others have noted, various players can head to other positions.

Ultimately, this contract will require keeping the pipeline flush with other players, athletic guys who can move around from the blocked position, or be moved for other needed positions. I think that's imperative for a club with lesser resources (and having to pay the piper with players like Votto, Bruce, etc.) to make such contracts work and still field a good team overall.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

If I'm Lutz and Soto I offer to play whatever position that gets me to the big leagues the quickest. Right now both IMO have to start playing LF yesterday.

I think with Lutz, I'd move him to LF and keep him there. The longer he plays the position, the better he will get.

Soto, I think I'd move him back to 3B and send him to ballet school or something if it would help him learn the position.

But there are others I would like to see get a chance at other positions. The Buckley kid was drafted as a 3B, and his bat looks as if he could stick for a while. And someone I know absolutely nothing about, but has put up decent (not great) numbers is Dominic D'Anna. Perhaps one of you who follow the minor leagues closer than I can shed some scouting light on D'Anna. Robert Maddox and Nick O'Shea pop up on the radar.

So there are several folks getting blocked for the forseeable future.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I think the plan has been for Lutz in the OF anyway. I'm guessing he comes quick and becomes the primary LF by the end of 2013. O'Shea is being tried behind the plate. I'd probably leave Soto at 1B and let him build value with his bat and look to make a deal next winter.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?