Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce to win the NL HR title?

Jay Bruce to win the NL HR title?

Cousin Sal, of the Jimmy Kimmel Show and Bill Simmons' podcast fame, has just released his MLB gambling column on Grantland.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...og-mlb-edition

His cover boy is none other than Jay Bruce. Apparently the odds on Bruce taking home the NL HR title are 20 to 1. If that's true, you have the like those odds.

Bruce finished 8th in the NL last year with 32. 2 of the 7 guys ahead of him are in the AL this year (Fielder, Pujols) and 1 is injured (Howard). That leaves Kemp, Uggla, Stanton and Braun. Close behind him last year you had Justin Upton and Michael Morse. I'd personally have Stanton, Bruce and Upton on my short list -- they seem the most likely to push 40 HR.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce to win the NL HR title?

Well Bruce is currently tied for the NL lead and is only 1 behind the MLB lead.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

30/1 odds here

http://sports.bovada.lv/sports-betti...ayer-props.jsp

I don't think he hits more than 35
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

If I was betting over/under on 35 homers for Jay in Vegas I'd take over this season. Honestly I'd hesitate but I'd put the money on the over side if I had to make the bet. If the number was 40 hey I'd take the under but I'd hope to lose anyway.

Worth a flier, but hard to look past anyone but Stanton in Miami.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Worth a flier, but hard to look past anyone but Stanton in Miami.
    It will be interesting to see how that park plays. He has the power to hit them out of anywhere, but even someone like him can gain or lose 5 home runs depending on how that place plays.

If Bruce hits 35-40 HR's, the Reds need to extend him like they did Votto!
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Saw something recently on the projections for which players would add significant numbers this year. IIRC, Bruce was top of the list for NL HRs and #2 or #3 in RBI.

GL

I do seriously wonder sometimes. For all the attention and talent that Votto has, does Jay Bruce have the talent and potential to surpass even Votto? I keep thinking about the fact that Bruce only turned 25 years old yesterday. JB seems like he has been around forever, but the scary truth is, he's not even hit his stride yet. How good will Bruce be when he hits Votto's age?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

Votto/Bruce reminds me a lot of Dunn/Kearns. The complete hitter vs. the power bat. The first round pick vs. the second round pick. Hopefully this time both guys pan out. Jay better avoid fat relief pitchers covering home plate.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I do seriously wonder sometimes. For all the attention and talent that Votto has, does Jay Bruce have the talent and potential to surpass even Votto? I keep thinking about the fact that Bruce only turned 25 years old yesterday. JB seems like he has been around forever, but the scary truth is, he's not even hit his stride yet. How good will Bruce be when he hits Votto's age?
    I think it's a matter of approach rather than age. Votto is just something other worldly in that department that Jay will never have. He'll never be able to toy with a pitcher and foul off pitches again and again until he gets something over the middle he drives out; at least not to the degree that Votto can do it when he needs to and wants to and every now and then Jay has a great at bat or when he's really going good he strings together a few great at-bats.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Votto/Bruce reminds me a lot of Dunn/Kearns. The complete hitter vs. the power bat. The first round pick vs. the second round pick. Hopefully this time both guys pan out. Jay better avoid fat relief pitchers covering home plate.
    I get what you're saying. But Bruce is already probably one of the top 50 all around players in the game. We're in a better situation now, because both of these guys are better than both of those guys were. But I get what you're saying.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

David Laurila predicts Jay Bruce to win the 2012 NL MVP.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...predicts-2012/

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I think it's a matter of approach rather than age. Votto is just something other worldly in that department that Jay will never have. He'll never be able to toy with a pitcher and foul off pitches again and again until he gets something over the middle he drives out; at least not to the degree that Votto can do it when he needs to and wants to and every now and then Jay has a great at bat or when he's really going good he strings together a few great at-bats.
    Right now, I'd agree with you. But Bruce's approach has improved since he came up, and as he continues to improve, it's hard to project where he might be 2-3 years down the road. He still has some room to grow.

I see the same poor AB's from JB that you do. At times he simply looks overmatched and doesn't know which end of the bat he's swinging from. That's when I am reminded that we're not talking about a 28 year old in his prime. The kid just has turned 25. And to be 100% fair, at times Joey Votto looks lost at the plate. It will be interesting in a couple years when Bruce has peaked. And it will be fun to have Votto and Bruce both in their prime.

RedsManRick probably nailed it when he compared them to Dunn and Kearns. They are two different animals.

I think Votto is a bit of an overachiever. One of his strong points is his mental discipline. He just never takes ABs off. He concentrates on each and every pitch. When he looks lost, its only for a pitch or two. He has great talent but his approach is what takes him to MVP-level.

Bruce is a little bit more of a natural and relies more on his hands and his eyes. Don't get me wrong, he works hard, but his approach can wander a bit.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I get what you're saying. But Bruce is already probably one of the top 50 all around players in the game. We're in a better situation now, because both of these guys are better than both of those guys were. But I get what you're saying.
    I know you didn't mean your comment this way, but last year Bruce was tied with Emilio Bonifacio for 107th in WAR among position players. Across 2010 & 2011, he comes in 52nd. I think it's fair to say that, in broad strokes, Bruce has not yet lived up to the hype he came up with. There certainly probably aren't 50 players I'd take ahead of him if I were drafting a team from scratch, but whether or not he reaches his significant potential remains to be seen.

Turn Off Ads?