Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Finding a Gym for Youth Basketball Training

Finding a Gym for Youth Basketball Training

I need a little help. I am trying to start giving some you basketball lessons and actually have a good deal of interest already.

My problem is gym usage. I'm very green at this and not sure how to pursue it. I thought I had a gym through someone I know at a school but it fell through at the last minute when they found out I was doing it for profit. Even though I thought that was obvious from the beginning.

I've called a couple schools and the hourly rates I was quoted are ridiculous. It looks like I need to get creative. If anyone has any experience with this or any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Finding a Gym for Youth Basketball Training

Doing it for profit will present alot of obstacles as far as finding a "free" place.

But anyway, back quite a few years ago a guy I worked with coached a youth team. The league they played in was at the local YMCA. His problem was that he wanted to have practices and couldnt find any gym space availabe. The Y had non-stop stuff going on. And since it was the heart of the b-ball season, the local schools could not help him out. Other coaches had the same problem. They ended up approaching a local wealthy businessman with their problem. They got him to build a gym. It was basically a pole barn with a full court gym inside it. But it was complete with a few bleachers, score boards, and two restrooms that doubled as locker rooms. To off-set the cost, and to make profit, the businessman started running men's leagues, women's leagues, senior citizens leagues, etc. But for the kids, there was no charge.

I know what you are doing is a tad different. But maybe you could find someone that is willing to finance and build a private facility.

Have you tried any churches that have gyms/multi-purpose centers?
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

What about the schools the kids themselves actually attend? Maybe try and coordinate it with their school coaches?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Find an outdoor court somewhere.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Thanks for the suggestions. Got some good ideas to get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    What about the schools the kids themselves actually attend? Maybe try and coordinate it with their school coaches?
    You have to becareful with coordinating with coaches. I don't know the age with which you'll be training but many of the supervisory boards (such as WVSSAC) have very stringent rules against coaches having ANY contact or ANY role in off-season activities (outside of what is allowed by the supervising board) and could cost players eligibility at the secondary level.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?