Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Cueto really an ace?

Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

Hope Cueto keeps this up. He looks like an All Star pitcher to me. Great to see a home grown prospect developed by the system become a top pitcher. Johnny is one right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He is our ace and stopper. I forget what the TV guys said exactly, but I think he has led a win after a loss three times this year. That's the definition of stopper.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    He is our ace and stopper. I forget what the TV guys said exactly, but I think he has led a win after a loss three times this year. That's the definition of stopper.
    I think this was his fourth

Cueto's last 3 starts, 23 IP, 2 ER, 24K/2BB, season ERA now down to 2.21.

I'd say he's pitching like a TOR starter, has been since last season, so whether or not he evokes the image of stud, he certainly is performing like one of the best starters in the league.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Cueto's last 3 starts, 23 IP, 2 ER, 24K/2BB, season ERA now down to 2.21.

I'd say he's pitching like a TOR starter, has been since last season, so whether or not he evokes the image of stud, he certainly is performing like one of the best starters in the league.
    Now those are ace-level numbers. More than a K/IP = fantastic.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    The TV guys said the Reds are 7-0 now when Cueto pitches after a loss. Cueto is 5-0 with two no-decisions.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

He's got everything but K's.

He's an ace. Especially on this staff.

Is he the #1/main guy/hammer/ace/stopper you want in the playoffs (if you want to win it all?).

Ehhhh. Kinda lukewarm on that.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

Is he the #1/main guy/hammer/ace/stopper you want in the playoffs (if you want to win it all?).

He certainly is a better option than Volquez.

A bigger issue may be that no one else is really stepping-up in the rest of the rotation consistently.

I would absolutely say so. Remember, Cueto pitched the best in 2010 of any of the Reds starters against Philadelphia. Even though he only went 5 innings, he only gave up 1 ER to a high powered Phillies offense. Only 1 BB as well.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 06-24-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The main thing that makes me say no, is that he has never topped 185 innings in a season. Aces throw 200+, consistently. That is what separates them. Cueto isn't there yet.

His last few starts have me thinking that he might be adding the K's to his repertoire necessary to ascend to the "elite" level. I agree, though, that he also needs to put up 200 IP to get there.

One thing is for sure -- all labels aside, he's a darn nice pitcher to have on the staff.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I was about to disagree about 200 innings but then after thinking I do agree. It shows the ability to be efficient enough to go deep in enough games to get to that number. And I think Cueto is finally there. I do believe he would go 7 innings or more in a playoff game, pitching well enough and efficiently enough to last that long. He is the only pitcher on the staff I feel that confidence in. Latos might if he had a game like tonight but then again what Mat are you going to see? Ditto for Homer. Leake has a razor's edge he always walks - if he's off just a tiny bit he'll get blasted. Bronson I have fair confidence in but darn the long ball isgoing to hurt him and I don't really trust him to hold a close game in the playoffs. Cueto is it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The main thing that makes me say no, is that he has never topped 185 innings in a season. Aces throw 200+, consistently. That is what separates them. Cueto isn't there yet.
    He's finally become a pitcher, not a thrower. His early years were made up of games with 8k's, 4 bb's and 105 pitches in 5 innings.

I'm stunned with the turnaround he experienced last year....and it's obvious it wasn't a one year wonder.

I fully expect him to log a solid 200 innings this year, and still be fresh for the playoffs.

Pleasantly. Surprised.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

If he pitches 8 innings of one run ball he is. I mean, if I had the choice I would take Hernandez or CC or someone of that stature for game one of a playoff game but it comes down to execution. If we get to October and Johnny's on the mound for game one, I like our chances.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Cueto may not be the best pitcher in the majors, but he is a clear #1 starter and probably one of the top ten pitchers in the majors over the last two years. I would have no qualms throwing him in Game 1 of a playoff series.

Turn Off Ads?