Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
Results 391 to 399 of 399

Thread: Is Cueto really an ace?

  1. #391
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

    Cueto has 210 innings with a league best 149 ERA+. The next closest NL pitcher is Kershaw with a 143 ERA+.

    Cueto is certainly in the running. I don't know where I would vote for him just yet because I would like to line up a whole bunch of numbers first, but if you have 210 innings and easily the best ERA+ in the league, I would lean toward you should be near the top of the voting.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #392
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,568

    Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

    I honestly think, and have felt for most of the year, it would wind up being Cueto or Gio. I just don't think Dickey is the obvious winner some do.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  4. #393
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,843

    Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Cueto has 210 innings with a league best 149 ERA+. The next closest NL pitcher is Kershaw with a 143 ERA+.

    Cueto is certainly in the running. I don't know where I would vote for him just yet because I would like to line up a whole bunch of numbers first, but if you have 210 innings and easily the best ERA+ in the league, I would lean toward you should be near the top of the voting.
    Not sure how Gio doesn't have the upperhand. He's been more than half a win better than Cueto in fewer innings. More strikeouts and fewer home runs too. Cueto has surrendered fewer walks though, but Gio's xFIP is better as well.

  5. #394
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,827

    Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

    The Reds have not had a RH pitcher win 20 or more since Maloney and Ellis did it in 1965

  6. #395
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Not sure how Gio doesn't have the upperhand. He's been more than half a win better than Cueto in fewer innings. More strikeouts and fewer home runs too. Cueto has surrendered fewer walks though, but Gio's xFIP is better as well.
    To be fair, fewer home runs doesn't do much for me given that Cueto pitches in GABP and Gio doesn't.

  7. #396
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,164

    Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

    If Cueto pitched in New York or L.A. (extreme pitcher's parks and major media markets), he'd win the Cy Young by acclaim. What he's doing in the GAB is pretty outrageous.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  8. #397
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,843

    Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To be fair, fewer home runs doesn't do much for me given that Cueto pitches in GABP and Gio doesn't.
    But do you think the voters look at ERA+ when making a decision? I don't think they do. I'm not even sure they look at home runs surrendered.

    Strikeouts on the other hand...

  9. #398
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    But do you think the voters look at ERA+ when making a decision? I don't think they do. I'm not even sure they look at home runs surrendered.

    Strikeouts on the other hand...
    You are probably right. But I do think they do some sort of ERA adjustment in their head for the park the guy plays in. How accurate that adjustment is though, well, that is up in the air.

  10. #399
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,085

    Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

    I think Cueto needs to win one more game to have a good shot at the award. I have the sense that voters are willing to give him credit for the fact that he pitches in a bandbox, and to acknowledge "those stat guys" who argue his ERA+ is strong, but having a nice round number like "20" on his resume will help push him over the top IMO. He needs it for consensus.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25