Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Is Cueto really an ace?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

Cueto has 210 innings with a league best 149 ERA+. The next closest NL pitcher is Kershaw with a 143 ERA+.

Cueto is certainly in the running. I don't know where I would vote for him just yet because I would like to line up a whole bunch of numbers first, but if you have 210 innings and easily the best ERA+ in the league, I would lean toward you should be near the top of the voting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I honestly think, and have felt for most of the year, it would wind up being Cueto or Gio. I just don't think Dickey is the obvious winner some do.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Cueto has 210 innings with a league best 149 ERA+. The next closest NL pitcher is Kershaw with a 143 ERA+.

Cueto is certainly in the running. I don't know where I would vote for him just yet because I would like to line up a whole bunch of numbers first, but if you have 210 innings and easily the best ERA+ in the league, I would lean toward you should be near the top of the voting.
    Not sure how Gio doesn't have the upperhand. He's been more than half a win better than Cueto in fewer innings. More strikeouts and fewer home runs too. Cueto has surrendered fewer walks though, but Gio's xFIP is better as well.

The Reds have not had a RH pitcher win 20 or more since Maloney and Ellis did it in 1965

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Not sure how Gio doesn't have the upperhand. He's been more than half a win better than Cueto in fewer innings. More strikeouts and fewer home runs too. Cueto has surrendered fewer walks though, but Gio's xFIP is better as well.
    To be fair, fewer home runs doesn't do much for me given that Cueto pitches in GABP and Gio doesn't.

If Cueto pitched in New York or L.A. (extreme pitcher's parks and major media markets), he'd win the Cy Young by acclaim. What he's doing in the GAB is pretty outrageous.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To be fair, fewer home runs doesn't do much for me given that Cueto pitches in GABP and Gio doesn't.
    But do you think the voters look at ERA+ when making a decision? I don't think they do. I'm not even sure they look at home runs surrendered.

Strikeouts on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    But do you think the voters look at ERA+ when making a decision? I don't think they do. I'm not even sure they look at home runs surrendered.

Strikeouts on the other hand...
    You are probably right. But I do think they do some sort of ERA adjustment in their head for the park the guy plays in. How accurate that adjustment is though, well, that is up in the air.

I think Cueto needs to win one more game to have a good shot at the award. I have the sense that voters are willing to give him credit for the fact that he pitches in a bandbox, and to acknowledge "those stat guys" who argue his ERA+ is strong, but having a nice round number like "20" on his resume will help push him over the top IMO. He needs it for consensus.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?