Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Cueto really an ace?

Re: Is Cueto really an ace?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But that is not the same as saying that they have little control over their SLG.

And this is the only way I can think of in which their BABIP correlates to their SLG.
    Hits correlate with slugging. The higher the BABIP, the higher the SLG.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Hits correlate with slugging. The higher the BABIP, the higher the SLG.
    That's not a strong correlation. A strong correlation would be if pitchers with high SLG, had equally high BABIP, and visa versa. A list of pitcher's SLG from high to low, would roughly mirror a list of pitcher's BABIP, from high to low, and that isn't the case.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

That's not a strong correlation. A strong correlation would be if pitchers with high SLG, had equally high BABIP, and visa versa. A list of pitcher's SLG from high to low, would roughly mirror a list of pitcher's BABIP, from high to low, and that isn't the case.
    HR aren't included in BABIP and it still strongly correlates with SLG. The list of pitchers SLG from high to low does roughly mirror a list of pitchers BABIP and to the extent the association is weakened, a major driver is the removal of HR.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

HR aren't included in BABIP and it still strongly correlates with SLG. The list of pitchers SLG from high to low does roughly mirror a list of pitchers BABIP and to the extent the association is weakened, a major driver is the removal of HR.
    Is there a very small variance between the highest and the lowest pitcher's SLG as well, because that would need to be the case in order for the correlation to have any meaning, at least in this discussion.

I'm assuming there is a strong correlation between BABIP and SLG
    Far as I can tell there's almost no correlation between the two. Joe Saunders, Jhoulys Chacin and Ted Lilly were among the NL BABIP leaders last year, and none of them posted a low SLG against. Roy Halladay, Matt Garza and Chris Carpenter had low SLGs against and above average BABIPs.

Good pitchers routinely keeping the opposing SLG low. Meanwhile BABIP jumps all over the place. In other words, SLG reflects skill, BABIP reflects luck.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Roy Halladay, Matt Garza and Chris Carpenter had low SLGs against and above average BABIPs.

Good pitchers routinely keeping the opposing SLG low. Meanwhile BABIP jumps all over the place. In other words, SLG reflects skill, BABIP reflects luck.
    Just wanted to quote it to point out that even top guys don't really control BABIP all that well.

From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Ryan Ludwick, who made his Reds’ debut with an RBI double, said when he faced Cueto in the past, he felt as if Cueto were trying to strike out every hitter. That wasn’t the case Thursday.

“He’s pitching now,” Ludwick said.

“I don’t care or look to strike out the hitters,” Cueto said. “I look to get the hitters out through less amount of pitches. I’ll get more innings.”
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...PT04/304050134

Is there a very small variance between the highest and the lowest pitcher's SLG as well, because that would need to be the case in order for the correlation to have any meaning, at least in this discussion.
    Here's data for pitchers between 2008-2011 tabulated as individual pitcher seasons (i.e. CC Sabathia will show up as 4 entries for example):
    Code:
                 Mean         Var          STDev
    BA           .269        .0053          .073
    BABIP        .305        .0063          .079
    SLG          .429        .0209          .145
    "Very small variance" can be defined differently by different individuals, but these variables are pretty tight IMHO. For reference here's the data for age of this population (which isn't so "tight"): Mean= 28.2; variance= 18.4; STDev= 4.3.

Here's the regression of the variables being discussed for pitchers between 2008-2011:

Code:
                  r2
    BA/BABIP     .98
    BA/SLG       .97
    BABIP/SLG    .93
    Clearly, BABIP predicts SLG well.

Here's data for pitchers between 2008-2011 tabulated as individual pitcher seasons (i.e. CC Sabathia will show up as 4 entries for example):
    Code:
                 Mean         Var          STDev
    BA           .269        .0053          .073
    BABIP        .305        .0063          .079
    SLG          .429        .0209          .145
    "Very small variance" can be defined differently by different individuals, but these variables are pretty tight IMHO. For reference here's the data for age of this population (which isn't so "tight"): Mean= 28.2; variance= 18.4; STDev= 4.3.

Here's the regression of the variables being discussed for pitchers between 2008-2011:

Code:
                  r2
    BA/BABIP     .98
    BA/SLG       .97
    BABIP/SLG    .93
    I have no idea what any of that means. Sorry. I'm not that smart. I'll just end this, because I have a feeling we're boring eveyone else. Lol

Code:
                  r2
    BA/BABIP     .98
    BA/SLG       .97
    BABIP/SLG    .93
    I don't feel like crunching the numbers, but I can guarantee you've messed up big time in there. If Halladay, Garza and Carpenter can be top 10 among NL ERA qualifiers in SLG against, yet near the bottom the list for BABIP, then I can guarantee you there's no meaningful correlation between the two. It egregiously fails an eyeball test. The BABIP and SLG against lists are wholly different animals.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't feel like crunching the numbers, but I can guarantee you've messed up big time in there. If Halladay, Garza and Carpenter can be top 10 among NL ERA qualifiers in SLG against, yet near the bottom the list for BABIP, then I can guarantee you there's no meaningful correlation between the two. It egregiously fails an eyeball test. The BABIP and SLG against lists are wholly different animals.
    Agreed. There's also no way that BA correlates to BABIP that highly, especially not just R but R2.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I always wondered as a kid..... why Jim Palmer never struck out more than 200 in a year despite going close to or over 300 innings per year. He had a very good rising fastball. His control was good but not outstanding. He would walk 2-3 guys a game and sometimes more.

He must have figured he only needed to try for strikeouts when he needed them and let his GG filled D behind him catch the ball.

Palmer had his Davey Johnson, Belanger, Robinson, Bobby Grich and Paul Blair behind him. Cueto has Votto, BP, Rolen, Stubbs, Bruce and we will see how Cozart is. I would rather get outs and get more innings with less pitches from the starters. Maddux must have been very lucky his whole career.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm bored.
    Was my post the tipping point?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm bored.
    So don't read the thread? I actually think this is a really interesting conversation -- just the type I was hoping would happen when I posted the question. Thanks to all involved!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?