Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The days most of us first heard of Joey Votto

Re: The days most of us first heard of Joey Votto

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I think Denorfia's the only other MLB player from that 2002 draft.
    It appears so. What an ugly draft for us. I'm not sure who else from that draft ever reached prospect status of any sort other than Gruler. I think Camilo Vazquez and Calvin Medlock had decent minor league careers, but dunno what happened to them.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/dr...2&draft_type=&
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I have VIVID memories of that draft as I was interning for another organization in 2002 (more about that in a minute), but I can't believe how much I forgot and how much dumb stuff I said. I gave the Reds a lot of grief for their overdrafts, but if you look at the guys I suggested instead they all did diddlyquat.

Got to see Votto in the cage at one of his first Gulf Coast League games and he drew a lot of positive attention for his swing even then. I could be wrong but I remember it being less compact.

I distinctly remembering as late as 2005 or so thinking, "boy wouldn't it be great if we could get another Sean Casey??" I should have dreamed bigger.

Here's the "all hindsight" team that we could have drafted.

Round 1, Prince Fielder - 1B
    Supplemental Round - Joey Votto - 3B
    Round 2, John Lester - SP
    Round 3, Curtis Granderson - CF
    Round 4, Nick Hundley - C
    Round 5, John Maine - SP
    Round 6, Matt Capps - RP
    Round 7, Pat Neshek - RP
    Round 8, Adam Lind - RF
    Round 9, James McDonald - SP
    Round 10, Evan Meek - RP
    Round 11, Mike Pelfrey - SP
    Round 12, Gaby Sanchez - LF
    Round 13, Kila Kaaihue - backup 1B/OF
    Round 14, Brandon McCarthy - SP
    Round 15, Russell Martin - C/3B
    Round 16, Chris Denorfia - backup OF
    Round 17, Kameron Loe - mop-up reliever
    Round 18, Kyle McClellan - RP
    Round 19, Brad Ziegler - RP
    Round 20, Nyjer Morgan - backup OF, comic relief
    Round 21, Scott Feldman - RP

then go dip into free agency for a couple middle infielders and you have yourself a powerhouse
    Stick to your guns.

I first took notice of Votto when he was in AAA. Josh Hamilton was doing a rehab with the Bats and they were in Charlotte to play the Knights. My son was a huge Hamilton fan at the time and he wanted to go to the game to see Hamilton play. We went on a "Two for Tuesday" and got tickets right beside the Reds dugout in the second row back. Matt wanted to get Hamilton's autograph and the usher told us we were on the wrong end of the dugout. We were near where the players come up to go to the plate. I asked Matt if he wanted to go to the other end and he said, "No, let's just stay here." Right after that, Hamilton stepped up out of the dugout, looked at Matt, and said, "Hey buddy, would you like an autograph? Matt was thrilled and he signed his cap. Later in the game, a young catcher named Ryan Hannigan tossed Matt a baseball as he was running off the field on a third strike. I watched a young hitter, Joey Votto, who seemed to have a wonderful swing. He went 3-3 and on his last at bat, he broke his bat. My son ended up with that bat, as well. What a haul! An autograph from a future MVP, a bat from a future MVP, and a ball from a future starting catcher for the Reds. I told Matt, "That bat may end up being worth something some day, That Votto kid is a player." Little did I know, how good a player he really would end up being.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It appears so. What an ugly draft for us.
    Any draft that nets you a player the caliber of Joey Votto should be considered a great draft. Very few prospects actually work out, if you get yourself an MVP every season, and nothing else, you're going to win a handful of championships.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It appears so. What an ugly draft for us. I'm not sure who else from that draft ever reached prospect status of any sort other than Gruler. I think Camilo Vazquez and Calvin Medlock had decent minor league careers, but dunno what happened to them.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/dr...2&draft_type=&
    It would be interesting to rate drafts 15 years or so down the road based on sum total of WAR.

Any draft that nets you a player the caliber of Joey Votto should be considered a great draft.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I first took notice of Votto when he was in AAA. Josh Hamilton was doing a rehab with the Bats and they were in Charlotte to play the Knights. My son was a huge Hamilton fan at the time and he wanted to go to the game to see Hamilton play. We went on a "Two for Tuesday" and got tickets right beside the Reds dugout in the second row back. Matt wanted to get Hamilton's autograph and the usher told us we were on the wrong end of the dugout. We were near where the players come up to go to the plate. I asked Matt if he wanted to go to the other end and he said, "No, let's just stay here." Right after that, Hamilton stepped up out of the dugout, looked at Matt, and said, "Hey buddy, would you like an autograph? Matt was thrilled and he signed his cap. Later in the game, a young catcher named Ryan Hannigan tossed Matt a baseball as he was running off the field on a third strike. I watched a young hitter, Joey Votto, who seemed to have a wonderful swing. He went 3-3 and on his last at bat, he broke his bat. My son ended up with that bat, as well. What a haul! An autograph from a future MVP, a bat from a future MVP, and a ball from a future starting catcher for the Reds. I told Matt, "That bat may end up being worth something some day, That Votto kid is a player." Little did I know, how good a player he really would end up being.
    Good story. I didn't get much from players when I was your son's age, although I'm pretty sure Paul Householder gave me hepatitis.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Good story. I didn't get much from players when I was your son's age, although I'm pretty sure Paul Householder gave me hepatitis.
    Funniest thing ever said on this board.

I thought I was the only one that remembered Housholder's case of The Hep. I remember as a young boy telling my Mom that I had it. She was horrified, and asked how I had heard of it... "Marty Brennaman said Paul Housholder has it" was my reply. Best Baseball conversation ever.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

My fondest memories was how some on this board thought we should trade him. Silly us. Now, he's going to be here probably after I'm dead and gone. Lots of things I've learned over the years and one of them is that you can never tell...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Funniest thing ever said on this board.

I thought I was the only one that remembered Housholder's case of The Hep. I remember as a young boy telling my Mom that I had it. She was horrified, and asked how I had heard of it... "Marty Brennaman said Paul Housholder has it" was my reply. Best Baseball conversation ever.
    I totally forgot that he got the hepatitis from a banquet at a Kentucky country club. Dick Wagner and Russ Nixon were at the same banquet, reportedly:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2987,7049322

Somewhere there's a picture of me sitting on his lap on the Riverfront Stadium concourse as a 10 year old boy. I wanted so badly to find it and scan it into this thread, but I can't find it. Maybe my mom has it.
    Stick to your guns.

It seemed like the only guys available for those pictures on the concourse were reserve infielders. My mom has one of me with Tom Lawless. A Polaroid, no less.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?