Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerns going into the season

Concerns going into the season

My concerns going into this season are (and not in any particular order).
    Starting Pitching: Bailey, Arroyo, Leake inconsistent in my book.
    Relief Pitching: Masset, Bray, Arredondo, Chapman, Ondrusek; this group can get really wild.
    Hitting: Entire offense....Too many K's
    Hitting production: Heisey, Ludwick, Stubbs, Mesoraco, Hanigan, Harris, ...not a lot of production from these guys during spring training.
    A weak bench: with Frazier being optioned, little power coming off the bench.
    Let's hope these guys have career (good, not bad) years and put us over the top.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Concerns going into the season

One concern:

We don't make the playoffs and the burden of Votto's contract begins taking it's toll as attendance fails to increase revenue.

I agree that bailey is inconsistent. Arroyo was inconsistent last year and I think he will bounce back and a good year but still will give up alot of dingers. Leake was our 2nd best starter last year and for the most part kept this team in every game he pitched so I tend to disagree with him being inconsistent.However he is still very young.

I wouldnt call the bullpen wild. If anything i would call them inconsistent. They also can be very good at times lets not forget and with Marshall they should be better IMO. Arredondo is another year removed from tommy John and I think hes going to be the guy the Angels had a couple years ago. Chapman needs to start and Im not even concerned with masset yet. the guy has to get healthy first.

The offense does strikeout a bunch but its mainly just Stubbs, Bruce, and Heisey doing the walk back to the bench. I can live with only a couple guys doing the majority of the K's. We do have Phillips in a contract year and he will produce and we arguabely have the best hitter in the world in the #3 spot. im not too worried

Spring training stats mean nothing unless you talk to scouts from other organizations about the Reds. Guys work on things and im pretty sure Trusty Dusty and Walt have made it known to this club that we need to win and win now. They ceartainly made it known to the fans. the bench does seem week but I think we have the best bench player in the league in Cairo or at least top 5. The only way id worry about the bench is if one of our starters has a significant injury then im worried. Hopefully harris can pinch hit. Thats all we need him to do.

Pitching, pitching, pitching is the main concern for this club. We did a lot to shore up the bullpen and signed a dynamite closber...who's now out for the season without throwing a single pitch.

IMO Marshall is too good to only have pitch in a closing role. They should have him pitch set-up, or pitch the 7th and 8th inning as much as possible and then go to closer by committee. But we know that's never going to happen.

With the offense, the concern is the same it's always been: Schizophrenia and clutch hits. We will put up a ton of runs, as usual...but we'll see plenty of 7 run games, then 2 run games. I'd like to see that even out a bit.

I just hope the rotation can go deep into games and keep our bullpen rested. I'm very worried about Arroyo's performance this season and hope that if he starts to stink it up, he's DLed or cut instead of letting him fester and cost us games. But seeing how Dusty lets guys "work out" their problems, like Gomes and Janish, I'm sure that as long as Arroyo insists he can pitch (which will be every single date he's due to start, no matter what's wrong with him) Dusty will trot him out there.

KD1476

My concern would be the health of Scott Rolen. If he can play a full season like he did two years ago and play somewhere between that season and this spring he had, we win the division. So, my concern would be his health!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    One concern:

We don't make the playoffs and the burden of Votto's contract begins taking it's toll as attendance fails to increase revenue.
    Votto's deal won't have any real financial impact on this team until like 2017.

Bullpen.

As odd as this may sound, leadership and motivation. We all saw in 2010 that this team enjoys winning. I'm just not sure that there is anyone who hates to lose bad enough. In so many of the games that we went to last year these guys just seemed to be going through the motions. Sort of waiting for something to happen. No sense of urgency until time for a late inning comeback. Don't misunderstand me, I love this team. I just think a grumpy old veteran to keep guys focused could really be beneficial. I think Rolen has the respect to do it, but don't know if that's his personality. I don't think we're getting much leadership from this coaching staff, and I think the young players suffer because of it.

Uncle Rusty as our manager.

The bench. Unlike previous seasons, we don't have any sort of power or breakout potential off the bench, except from Heisey if he doesn't start. Harris and Valdez seem like extraordinarily weak contributors, and Cairo can only do so much as he turns 38 in a month. The lineup is going to have to carry its own weight this season.

how about a cripple at third base, the worst pitcher in the league arroyo and a whiff machine in center field and a anencephalic manager

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    how about a cripple at third base, the worst pitcher in the league arroyo and a whiff machine in center field and a anencephalic manager
    Last time I checked our 3rd basemen has never had issues with his legs...which 3rd basemen are you speaking of...oh wait..you speak of the former backup 3rd basemen who had issues with his legs do to poor workout discipline, a overweight body and a lack of desire...don't worry, he is a Brave now....

rolen is a cripple facts are stubborn things

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    rolen is a cripple facts are stubborn things
    How is rolen a cripple? His health issue has always been the shoulder area, I don't remember him ever having issues with his legs...that was Juan and his strained something every season due to lack of preperation in the offseason.

how did rolen do last year, Oh I forgot he did well in 1975 like your friend arroyo

Turn Off Ads?