Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds resign Brandon Phillips through 2017

Reds resign Brandon Phillips through 2017

I don't have time to research, but a good friend of mine who is well connected to reds news just texted me and said Jockety said they are close to signing BP. What's going on folks. If this happens they are sure trying to make a big statement.

Again, this is just a text, but I am getting ready to leave to cincy, but wnted to see if anyone can confirm.

Go Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rumor - Reds close to signing Dat Dude

From Jim Duquette:
    https://twitter.com/#!/Jim_Duquette

Jim Duquette ‏ @Jim_Duquette
    Am hearing @Reds are offering 4 years to B Phillips. With Kinsler likely to get 6 yrs from Texas- Phillips can't sign for less than 5
    Last edited by klw; 04-05-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am not a big fan of four years for Phillips, but think I would take it given it isn't more than $12M a year. Anything more than that, in both years or salary, is a large overpay in my opinion.

4yr $50MM is fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    4yr $50MM is fair to me.
    Four years extended onto the 2012 contract. Plus a team option for an extra year with a buyout clause if team doesn't exercise.

That would be my max.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

What about a five-year, front-loaded contract that takes advantage of Votto taking a pay cut after next season? Complement their contracts to ease the burden.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    What about a five-year, front-loaded contract that takes advantage of Votto taking a pay cut after next season? Complement their contracts to ease the burden.
    Not a bad deal, but that will still end up being more expensive in the long run. That said, it would fit into the budget much easier while Votto is still relatively cheap. In this instance, I would approve of a front-loaded deal.

-Matt

This signing would also line up with Jocketty's comment that the BP situation will be resolved "one way or another" prior to Opening Day".

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I'm a big fan of front-loaded contracts, but the players' union apparently isn't.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Ken Rosenthal said the Reds and Brandon are apart in both money and years-he doesn't expect anything to be done soon.

If BP's deal doesn't get done before Kinsler's, I don't think he signs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm a big fan of front-loaded contracts, but the players' union apparently isn't.
    Why would the union even care .....if the money is the same....who ares when it is paid and in what year. Is this union really full of this many idiots and A retentive people? If the player agrees to this way, what could they say anyways?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Such a strange phenomenon. The only explanation I can think of is at the end of the contracts when the players are making 7-9 million, it could lessen their next contract. A 35-year-old BP making $14 million will command more money than a 35-year-old BP making $8 million, I guess.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Twitter has been silent on the matter in the past few hours.

It’s Opening Day in Cincinnati and the fans are out in full force. Among the hordes of Reds faithful is team owner Bob Castellini, who was just interviewed on 700 WLW at the Holy Grail downtown. Castellini had the following to say about Brandon Phillips, quoted from Lance McAllister’s Twitter feed...

On Brandon Phillips: “He’s an All-Star a Gold Glover, he’s versatile, he’s very important to keep here”

On Phillips contract talks: “That dialogue is ongoing”

Turn Off Ads?