Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc Rodgers on 1530 knocking the Votto signing

Doc Rodgers on 1530 knocking the Votto signing

What a doofus. He sat there and talked about how bad big contracts are and then compared it to contracts of pitchers Barry Zito, Mike Hampton, etc. Compare it to a position player you moron.

Also lamented the fact that you pay for 10 and get 5 good years out of the player. Votto plays 1st base the least physically demanding position on the field. Votto is a tireless worker, while he may not be what he is now at the age of 31, I have no doubt that he'll still be one of the top 10 first baseman in baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Doc Rodgers on 1530 knocking the Votto signing

If anybody's worth keeping on the books for 12 years, it's a perfectionist but humble star 1st baseman with good plate discipline who reached free agency earlier than most. I understand the reservations (which I have too), but I can't think of another MLB player I'd rather have under contract for this long.

these contracts never work out, see Kevin Brown

Yeah, or AJ Burnett.

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    these contracts never work out, see Kevin Brown
    True you don't give Pitchers long term deals, but for position players you have more flexability and since the chances of the DH coming to the national league in the near future is strong, Votto could move to DH in the latter part of that deal. In a perfect world you don't do double diget year contracts, but once that barrier is broken you either sign the player or trade them, and it's tough to build a fan base off with a revolving door of players.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    True you don't give Pitchers long term deals, but for position players you have more flexability and since the chances of the DH coming to the national league in the near future is strong, Votto could move to DH in the latter part of that deal. In a perfect world you don't do double diget year contracts, but once that barrier is broken you either sign the player or trade them, and it's tough to build a fan base off with a revolving door of players.
    Yes especially when Votto is as close to a home grown superstar as they've had in a long time.

I think the Votto contract also makes Cincinnati a more viable free agent destination. They have a player that other players want to play with. Someone who can get other players better pitches to hit etc. Now I'm not saying that the Reds would or should go out and pay big dollars to a free agent, because I don't think that's the case. It may though get them the second tier player that they need to fill out a roster in the future.

Personally, I don't know why an owner would give any player a 10 year extension. But then I've seen these contracts go bad with my favorite hockey team (see Alexi Yashin and Rick DiPietro).

ppl say they never work out which is true but you could also look at sample size. either way worry about it in 5 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Also lamented the fact that you pay for 10 and get 5 good years out of the player. Votto plays 1st base the least physically demanding position on the field. Votto is a tireless worker, while he may not be what he is now at the age of 31, I have no doubt that he'll still be one of the top 10 first baseman in baseball.
    The NL will have a DH soon, owners want it, players wants it. The only people who not want it is the Fans. But with interleague play all season long starting next year they will add the DH soon

If I'm not mistaken, he basically said that the first part of his contract is that you're hoping to get him for the cheap at like 14 mill a year while the last half you just hope he's productive at 25/year and hope it evens out well.

I like signing Votto long term, but this is certainly a risky contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, he basically said that the first part of his contract is that you're hoping to get him for the cheap at like 14 mill a year while the last half you just hope he's productive at 25/year and hope it evens out well.

I like signing Votto long term, but this is certainly a risky contract.
    What sports contract that is guarenteed not risky?

It's definitely risky, and I cringed a bit when it became clear that it was a 10-year extension vs. 8-year.

However, I'm still incredibly giddy. It shows the commitment to winning that we want from our owners, despite the risk. Keep your best players, your homegrown talent.

As "foolish" as Larkin's 3-year extension might have been, I'm glad to say that Barry's going into the Hall of Fame as a lifetime Red. There's something valuable in that phrase "lifetime Red". Bench, Larkin, Votto - all Hall of Famers and lifetime Reds, in the era of free agency.

I think this contract will be smart in the end. Payroll will increase, media rights will increase, and franchise value will increase. In 2023, Votto's pay will be "reasonable" given the other factors.

Comparing Joey Votto to most players is a big mistake. One of Major League Baseball's most versatile players. Not a huge fan of Doc Rogers and his after game show. Sounds like a fantasy nerd that has never picked up a bat in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    Comparing Joey Votto to most players is a big mistake. One of Major League Baseball's most versatile players. Not a huge fan of Doc Rogers and his after game show. Sounds like a fantasy nerd that has never picked up a bat in his life.
    He was a minor league pitcher and worked in baseball as a minor league coordinator for many years.

I like Votto but 12 years is too long to sign any player. How will did the Griffey contract work out?
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Turn Off Ads?