Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty says Hannigan to catch more than Mesoraco

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dusty says Hannigan to catch more than Mesoraco

Unfortunately, extra innings showed the Marlins feed in NY. Anyway, the announcers said during the game today they talked to Dusty about the catching situation and Dusty said that Hannigan will catch more than Mesoraco. They went on to say that Dusty made it seem as if Hannigan would take over for Hernandez's role from last year and that Mesoraco would be taking over Hannigan's spot.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Dusty says Hannigan to catch more than Mesoraco

I'm sure if Mess outhits Hanningan he'll play more.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm sure if Mess outhits Hanningan he'll play more.
    Bingo. Everyone has a plan, but if Mess earns playing time he will get playing time. Who cares who plays more as long as the person is playing is earning it.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Bingo. Everyone has a plan, but if Mess earns playing time he will get playing time. Who cares who plays more as long as the person is playing is earning it.
    Except I would like to see Mes hitting against live pitching and catching live pitchers four days a week rather than sitting the bench. If he is not going to play here, then send him to AAA where he will play more than he sits. The only way he will mature as a major league catcher is to play.

Even Hernandez got to start Opening Day last year.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

This is absolutely appropriate, at least for the first half of the season.

Not a surprise to me. I'm not sure how people ever got the idea that Mes was "the starter".
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What a shame....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What a shame....

Shocking that you, Doug, would rather the young player play than the guy who is a proven commodity. Let's remember Mes was not impressive in the least last year in September nor this spring. He is going to have to force himself into more playing time - which is exactly how it should be.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Shocking that you, Doug, would rather the young player play than the guy who is a proven commodity. Let's remember Mes was not impressive in the least last year in September nor this spring. He is going to have to force himself into more playing time - which is exactly how it should be.
    Yeah, it is completely shocking that I would want to see the guy who is likely to be the better player of the two THIS YEAR, play more.

Mesoraco is a better hitter than Hanigan is, I don't care what he did in September (where his BABIP was under .200) or in some practice games. It isn't about him being a prospect or a young guy. It has to do with him being the better player. Just like Chapman, who I want starting in Louisville, because him getting acclimated and experience in that role is far more important and valuable to the Reds future than what he is being used as right now. Sure, maybe Hanigans overall value can be similar to that of Mesoraco this year when we look at the whole package, but that also means in the future we are likely to wait longer to see the full package from Mesoraco because he went out and got 300 PA's this year instead of 450. Mesoraco isn't some meddling prospect, he was the best catching prospect in the game for the last two seasons.

Yeah, it is completely shocking that I would want to see the guy who is likely to be the better player of the two THIS YEAR, play more.

Mesoraco is a better hitter than Hanigan is, I don't care what he did in September (where his BABIP was under .200) or in some practice games. It isn't about him being a prospect or a young guy. It has to do with him being the better player. Just like Chapman, who I want starting in Louisville, because him getting acclimated and experience in that role is far more important and valuable to the Reds future than what he is being used as right now. Sure, maybe Hanigans overall value can be similar to that of Mesoraco this year when we look at the whole package, but that also means in the future we are likely to wait longer to see the full package from Mesoraco because he went out and got 300 PA's this year instead of 450. Mesoraco isn't some meddling prospect, he was the best catching prospect in the game for the last two seasons.
    These opinions all start from the premise that 2012 is secondary and the "future" is important.

That premise leads to a never-ending spiral of waiting till next year.

Dusty and Walt want to win this year. They aren't doing anything terrible to accomplish that. Chapman is helping in a role of serious need caused by injury. Mes is deferring somewhat to a more experienced and very good catcher.

Both are in the majors, both will get lots of opportunities going forward.

Nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    These opinions all start from the premise that 2012 is secondary and the "future" is important.

That premise leads to a never-ending spiral of waiting till next year.

Dusty and Walt want to win this year. They aren't doing anything terrible to accomplish that. Chapman is helping in a role of serious need caused by injury. Mes is deferring somewhat to a more experienced and very good catcher.

Both are in the majors, both will get lots of opportunities going forward.

Nothing wrong with it.
    My premise is that Mesoraco will be every bit as good as Hanigan this year and much better in the future, so splitting time or even giving Hanigan more time right now is just a bad choice.

Chapman... I will leave it for the other threads.

If you throw Mesoraco to the wolves at the start of the season I think his development in 2012 will be slowed. Its not that he has to focus just on hitting, he needs to learn an entire new staff. Its hard enough to get your feet wet in the majors let alone be forced to call a game or catch a pitcher that you only have done a few times before in you career.

I don't have an issue with Hanigan getting 3 games for Mesoraco's 2 at the start of the season. I do think that as the season goes along Mecoraco is going to warrant more and more pt. Is there anything wrong with that? Its not like they are running Paul Bako or Corky Miller out there 3 out of 5 days, its Hanigan who is a pretty darn good catcher in his own right, and also a catcher who knows how to find 1b better than any Red not named Votto.

I hope Mesoraco replaces Hannigan as easily as many think he can.Hannigan is very,very good at his position.I've not got a dog in this hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If you throw Mesoraco to the wolves at the start of the season I think his development in 2012 will be slowed. Its not that he has to focus just on hitting, he needs to learn an entire new staff. Its hard enough to get your feet wet in the majors let alone be forced to call a game or catch a pitcher that you only have done a few times before in you career.
    Throwing someone to the wolves means they aren't ready. Mesoraco is ready. Mesoraco has caught everyone on the staff 10+ times aside from Arroyo and perhaps some of the relievers, which the same holds true for Hanigan.

Sounds like a great plan, and an appropriate way to recognize Hanigan for knowing the staff better and allowing time for Mes to learn big league hitters at an appropriate pace.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?