Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dusty says Hannigan to catch more than Mesoraco

Dusty says Hannigan to catch more than Mesoraco

Unfortunately, extra innings showed the Marlins feed in NY. Anyway, the announcers said during the game today they talked to Dusty about the catching situation and Dusty said that Hannigan will catch more than Mesoraco. They went on to say that Dusty made it seem as if Hannigan would take over for Hernandez's role from last year and that Mesoraco would be taking over Hannigan's spot.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Dusty says Hannigan to catch more than Mesoraco

I'm sure if Mess outhits Hanningan he'll play more.

This is absolutely appropriate, at least for the first half of the season.

Not a surprise to me. I'm not sure how people ever got the idea that Mes was "the starter".
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm sure if Mess outhits Hanningan he'll play more.
    Bingo. Everyone has a plan, but if Mess earns playing time he will get playing time. Who cares who plays more as long as the person is playing is earning it.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Bingo. Everyone has a plan, but if Mess earns playing time he will get playing time. Who cares who plays more as long as the person is playing is earning it.
    Except I would like to see Mes hitting against live pitching and catching live pitchers four days a week rather than sitting the bench. If he is not going to play here, then send him to AAA where he will play more than he sits. The only way he will mature as a major league catcher is to play.

Even Hernandez got to start Opening Day last year.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What a shame....

Sounds like a great plan, and an appropriate way to recognize Hanigan for knowing the staff better and allowing time for Mes to learn big league hitters at an appropriate pace.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

If Mes isn't catching 50% (or more) of the time, he needs to be in AAA getting regular work. Let Navarro caddy. The bench is so anemic anyway, what would one more light bat matter?

I don't have a problem with the plan at all. Mesoraco will play and get his chances. Right now Hanigan IS the better catcher, and the better hitter in every way except for power. I'll bet Mes ends up with 300 PA or more before the year is done. And I'll bet he's the front line catcher before the year is done, too. Criminy, not everything Dusty does is wrong headed.

I don't mind easing Mes into the catcher seat. Let him soak
    up the Bigs for a bit.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I don't have a problem with the plan at all. Mesoraco will play and get his chances. Right now Hanigan IS the better catcher, and the better hitter in every way except for power. I'll bet Mes ends up with 300 PA or more before the year is done. And I'll bet he's the front line catcher before the year is done, too. Criminy, not everything Dusty does is wrong headed.
    Do you care to explain why you know that Hanigan is the better hitter except for power? I don't really know if I believe that. And even if I did, power is a big part of offense.

I think familiarity with the league is more important than reps at AAA for a guy like Mes. He needs to become more familiar with the pitchers on his team that he'll be working with, the hitters in the league that he'll be trying to get out as well as the pitchers that he'll be hitting against. Can't do any of that at AAA.

Hanigan had 304 PAs last year. If that is the type of PT that Dusty has in mind for Mes, I can't see how its better for the Reds or Mesoraco to be in AAA. Catchers are a different animal than just about any other player. There is a lot to becoming a good catcher that can only be learned in the big leagues and it takes a while to become a good one. If the Reds were rebuilding, I'd stick Mes in the line-up, live with the growing pains and let him learn as he plays. But since the Reds are trying to win, I think the gradual approach and taking advantage of Hanigan's experience while avoiding some of the growing pains is the better idea.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

That plan makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think familiarity with the league is more important than reps at AAA for a guy like Mes. He needs to become more familiar with the pitchers on his team that he'll be working with, the hitters in the league that he'll be trying to get out as well as the pitchers that he'll be hitting against. Can't do any of that at AAA.

Hanigan had 304 PAs last year. If that is the type of PT that Dusty has in mind for Mes, I can't see how its better for the Reds or Mesoraco to be in AAA. Catchers are a different animal than just about any other player. There is a lot to becoming a good catcher that can only be learned in the big leagues and it takes a while to become a good one. If the Reds were rebuilding, I'd stick Mes in the line-up, live with the growing pains and let him learn as he plays. But since the Reds are trying to win, I think the gradual approach and taking advantage of Hanigan's experience while avoiding some of the growing pains is the better idea.
    This is it right here. Mesoraco should still get 300+ plate appearances and likely appear in half the Reds games, and I'm totally fine with that. Catchers aren't built for playing in 150 games anyway so this plan not only gives the Reds a chance to groom Mesoraco appropriately, it'll help keep both catchers fresh.

And remember, Hanigan is no slouch. He's a guy who carries a lifetime .371 on-base percentage, and that's certainly not going to hurt the run production. Now if we had Paul Bako back there instead of Hanigan, I might be barking for a bit more playing time for Mesoraco. But the tandem of Hernandez/Hanigan worked brilliantly the last few years and I expect this year's tandem to work just as brilliantly, if not better.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?