Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dusty says Hannigan to catch more than Mesoraco

Re: Dusty says Hannigan to catch more than Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Frankly I could care less about his abs, I want him to get used to the stress and the mental grind of big league ball and mastering the hardest position in the game. Plus no catcher lives long without sharing some time, if he's the stud he should be then the time will gravitate to him. Hanigan is not a large guy he will experience wear and he has experience with much if the staff, experience not gleaned in ten games nor fifty

Mes will get his chance to shine
    Couldn't agree more. I expect a 60/40 split between Hanigan and Mesoraco this year, with Mes gaining as the year goes on. It won't help his ROY canidacy, but I think it's best for him long term. That and Hanigan is no slouch so it's not like he's getting more starts just because he's a veteran.

This team has much bigger issues than the timeshare behind the plate (3B, the last 2 spots in the rotation) to get worked up over.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

No problem with this for now. When Mes starts outproducing Hanigan though that's when it'll get old

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I trust scouts, especially ours, over Dusty's valuations every day of the week.
    What does that have to do with what Dusty actually said on this issue?

I would say though that if the Reds scouts are as consistently disrespectful and arrogant towards Dusty's opinions and actions as you are in RZ, then I consider them unprofessional and ultimately counterproductive for the good of the org.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    What does that have to do with what Dusty actually said on this issue?

I would say though that if the Reds scouts are as consistently disrespectful and arrogant towards Dusty's opinions and actions as you are in RZ, then I consider them unprofessional and ultimately counterproductive for the good of the org.
    I read into what you said incorrectly. I thought you said something you didn't. Skim reading is bad.

But, as for the comments about Dusty and scouts.... I stand by that. Scouts get paid to watch the players and figure out what they can and can't do and for the most part are pretty good at it. Dusty gets paid to make decisions on line ups and things like that. His job isn't talent evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I read into what you said incorrectly. I thought you said something you didn't. Skim reading is bad.

But, as for the comments about Dusty and scouts.... I stand by that. Scouts get paid to watch the players and figure out what they can and can't do and for the most part are pretty good at it. Dusty gets paid to make decisions on line ups and things like that. His job isn't talent evaluation.
    In that economy, do scouts email Dusty the lineups, then? Unless the Reds are going to employ the Billy Beane ultimate control method, at some point, Dusty's playing time decisions require talent evaluation.

As for this discussion, its just the tired old myth that "Dusty won't play the young guys even if they could do the job," a myth that has been busted repeatedly in his tenure with the Reds. The latest one? Zack Cozart, plugged in immediately, handed the job out of the gate this year. I suppose you could argue this came from brass, but that would seem odd since it took management longer than most thought to give him the chance last year.

Baker is certainly not infallible in his decisions, I regularly question his bullpen decisions game to game, for example. He certainly has weaknesses (all decision makers do), but for the buffoon that his staunch opponents paint, he has had success at each stop in his career. At some point, the blind squirrel must be able to see something if he keeps on finding the nuts, right?

A final thought: something doesn't add up with the Reds plowing forward at breakneck speed in their gameplan if they didn't think that they had a competent man handling the day to day operation of the club on the field. Of course, that now gives him the greater responsibility to earn an extension, but I don't see a view of incompetence with the slew of recent activity.
    Last edited by traderumor; 04-07-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Mes will get his time. Dusty also has to get wins on the board. If Mes produces, I am sure Dusty will change his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Mes will get his time. Dusty also has to get wins on the board. If Mes produces, I am sure Dusty will change his mind.
    Which I would argue is the way it should work. So far, the manager has seen a guy struggling at the plate in September and the spring (cue reminder that ST stats don't mean anything) and I saw a guy struggling behind the plate defensively last September. He was not settled in and comfortable at all. I understand his reluctance.

If only Dusty reviewed ZIPS, he'd know better.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Frankly I could care less about his abs, I want him to get used to the stress and the mental grind of big league ball and mastering the hardest position in the game. Plus no catcher lives long without sharing some time, if he's the stud he should be then the time will gravitate to him. Hanigan is not a large guy he will experience wear and he has experience with much if the staff, experience not gleaned in ten games nor fifty

Mes will get his chance to shine
    Exactly woy. Good post.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    In that economy, do scouts email Dusty the lineups, then? Unless the Reds are going to employ the Billy Beane ultimate control method, at some point, Dusty's playing time decisions require talent evaluation.

As for this discussion, its just the tired old myth that "Dusty won't play the young guys even if they could do the job," a myth that has been busted repeatedly in his tenure with the Reds. The latest one? Zack Cozart, plugged in immediately, handed the job out of the gate this year. I suppose you could argue this came from brass, but that would seem odd since it took management longer than most thought to give him the chance last year.

Baker is certainly not infallible in his decisions, I regularly question his bullpen decisions game to game, for example. He certainly has weaknesses (all decision makers do), but for the buffoon that his staunch opponents paint, he has had success at each stop in his career. At some point, the blind squirrel must be able to see something if he keeps on finding the nuts, right?

A final thought: something doesn't add up with the Reds plowing forward at breakneck speed in their gameplan if they didn't think that they had a competent man handling the day to day operation of the club on the field. Of course, that now gives him the greater responsibility to earn an extension, but I don't see a view of incompetence with the slew of recent activity.

I don't mind this handling of Mesoraco. It's a tough position and there's a lot of pressure on this team to win. Hanigan is a good catcher who pitchers like to throw to, and that's a tough spot for a rookie to be in, too. Best to let him learn the ropes more in the shadows than the spotlight.

I appreciate some moves Baker makes. Others, no. The love-or-hate debate gets too loud for me.

Turn Off Ads?