Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Petrino

Bobby Petrino

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...3yS_story.html

The story is interesting to me not for the salacious details, but just for the way people continue to think that because a guy is a good football coach, he can be an example of virtuous behavior.

Just once, I'd love for a University President to stand up and say, "Yes this guy's a sleazeball, but dangit he wins football games." If that's not going to happen at Arkansas, I'm not sure where it could happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bobby Petrino

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

The story is interesting to me not for the salacious details, but just for the way people continue to think that because a guy is a good football coach, he can be an example of virtuous behavior.

Just once, I'd love for a University President to stand up and say, "Yes this guy's a sleazeball, but dangit he wins football games." If that's not going to happen at Arkansas, I'm not sure where it could happen.
    I couldn't agree more. I can't stand the culture of coach worship, especially in college sports. Haven't we seen enough to end it? Paterno, Petrino, Pitino, Tressel, Carroll, Knight, the list goes on and on.

But, it is our fault. We are the ones who put them on the pedestal. We built Paternoville (I wasn't going to attempt the Duke version...). We want to hear them speak. We speculate non stop about their next move. This is our fault.

Here's a thought. Let's start to hold the coaches (and ourselves) to the standard we hold the kids.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

He's an ahole no doubt. I was sure of this after stories from Louisville and how he bailed on the Falcons. He's a married man riding around with a 25 year old engaged woman, in the middle of the afternoon, without a helmet.... Who does that?

I agree that people care too much about people's personal lives in sports, but I think the real issue here is that Bobby Petrino lied to his AD about a mistress who he had just given a job in the athletic department. He won't get fired because he wins and the AD can't do better, but eesh that would make for a sketchy work environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    He's an ahole no doubt. I was sure of this after stories from Louisville and how he bailed on the Falcons. He's a married man riding around with a 25 year old engaged woman, in the middle of the afternoon, without a helmet.... Who does that?

I agree that people care too much about people's personal lives in sports, but I think the real issue here is that Bobby Petrino lied to his AD about a mistress who he had just given a job in the athletic department. He won't get fired because he wins and the AD can't do better, but eesh that would make for a sketchy work environment.
    Probably more people than we would like to admit.

Petrino is a world class a hole, but that doesn't mean he is a good football coach. He didn't do anything illegal, and if we held every person to as high of standards as we do people in the public light, there would be very few left standing. What Petrino did was immoral and the only people he hurt would be his family as well as the engaged woman's family.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Probably more people than we would like to admit.

Petrino is a world class a hole, but that doesn't mean he is a good football coach. He didn't do anything illegal, and if we held every person to as high of standards as we do people in the public light, there would be very few left standing. What Petrino did was immoral and the only people he hurt would be his family as well as the engaged woman's family.
    I would think the thing threatening his job is that he gave this woman a job in the athletic department after having an affair with her. And then he lied to his AD about it.

That said, I'd be shocked if he were fired. The business is all about winning.

This is the perfect example of behavior that gets a coach with a 7-5 record fired.

This guy is the biggest scumbag in college sports. He has constantly lied about things within his career and has gone behind the backs of various administrations. I don't ever wish ill will on an individual but I don't think it's far to say that this guy deserves every bad thing that happens to him. Karma is a real you know what.

Cheating on his wife with a 25 year old co-worker is one thing.

But his inability to handle a motorcycle? That's definitely grounds for termination.

Especially in a place like Arkansas.

Oh, and if you happen to be reading this Bobby, Arthur Blank asked me to pass this along:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

A head coach is a face of the university and often one of the highest paid state employees in their state. What Petrino did was despicable and Arkansas could ( and may) fire him for cause. A head coach has to be an example of virtuous behavior because it's part of his job description.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when Mike Zimmer heard about this.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    A head coach is a face of the university and often one of the highest paid state employees in their state. What Petrino did was despicable and Arkansas could ( and may) fire him for cause. A head coach has to be an example of virtuous behavior because it's part of his job description.
    Well said jojo. A lot of universities have conduct codes in the contracts of the coaches. Embarrasing or shameful activities by a coach that make the school look bad can be reasons for termination.

Imagine being the girl's fiance. It's one thing to find out your betrothed is cheating on you. To have it splashed all over the news is something else.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...042635905.html

Bobby Patrino put on indefinite administrative leave.

The guy was having an affair. I dont see why his job should be in question..He wasn't breaking the law just one of the ten commandments.

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    The guy was having an affair. I dont see why his job should be in question..He wasn't breaking the law just one of the ten commandments.
    He created a position on his staff for his mistress. That ain't good. Neither is lying to your AD.

And wasn't an affair part of the justification for forcing Houston Nutt out at Arkansas?

Turn Off Ads?