Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Petrino

Re: Bobby Petrino

Petrino has burned an awful lot of bridges behind him. I think he's going to have problems getting recommendations from previous employers.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Petrino has burned an awful lot of bridges behind him. I think he's going to have problems getting recommendations from previous employers.
    My feelings exactly. The way he left the Falcons was despicable, and the situation at Arkansas makes me think the guy needs a major reality check.

I'd say Arkansas will have a decision to make with their coaching search. Malzahn is a HS coaching legend in Arkansas and is just now getting a crack at it as a head coach in college at Arkansas State. Is Malzahn ready though to be a coach in the SEC?

On a side note, there are some UK fans wanting to get Petrino as head coach if Joker is canned at the end of the season. It's not going to happen, as Barnhardt won't let it. Supposedly the two don't exchange Christmas cards.
    Last edited by WVRed; 04-10-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

One would think so, but he torched the falcons and Louisville and had Arkansas ready to hire him.

Maybe he and Malzahn can just change jobs
    Go Gators!

Petrino could probably get another BCS job, but it won't be a premier one.

At first I thought any AD would have to be nuts to rehire Petrino.

But then I started thinking that, really, the one thing he did very wrong was lie to his boss.

Sure, an affair is a very bad and very damaging thing, but they happen all the time. If he would have come clean with his AD and told him the whole story, they would have had a press conference with a "good wife" standing beside him and Petrino baring his soul (like he actually has one), and he would have stayed the Arkansas coach.

But he lied to his boss and made him look very bad and that is not a good thing to do if you want to remain a member of the employment continuation club.

He'll lay low for a while and resurface at some mid-major in a year or two. He'll confess that his soul has been cleansed and he's a changed man and blah blah blah. But the man can build a winning football team and that will trump all to somebody.

But then I started thinking that, really, the one thing he did very wrong was lie to his boss.

Sure, an affair is a very bad and very damaging thing, but they happen all the time. If he would have come clean with his AD and told him the whole story, they would have had a press conference with a "good wife" standing beside him and Petrino baring his soul (like he actually has one), and he would have stayed the Arkansas coach.

But he lied to his boss and made him look very bad and that is not a good thing to do if you want to remain a member of the employment continuation club.

He'll lay low for a while and resurface at some mid-major in a year or two. He'll confess that his soul has been cleansed and he's a changed man and blah blah blah. But the man can build a winning football team and that will trump all to somebody.
    The reason he was canned centered upon how he hired his mistress and the benefits she received.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

LOL....but you are right. Somebody will hire him that needs him. He didnt get fired because of his coaching ability, he got fired because he is a sad individual.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The reason he was canned centered upon how he hired his mistress and the benefits she received.
    Yeah, that's the reason they gave.

The one thing I've learned about the world is that the Big Guys do whatever they want. And if they want something to happen, it happens.

If Petrino would have come clean with his boss, they would have concocted some story and public confessions that would have left Petrino as coach in some vague probatinary status. He wins football games in a big conference that makes a lot of money and those kinds of guys are hard to find. But he lied to his boss and publicly embarassed him and that is the real unpardonable sin.

The one thing I've learned about the world is that the Big Guys do whatever they want. And if they want something to happen, it happens.

If Petrino would have come clean with his boss, they would have concocted some story and public confessions that would have left Petrino as coach in some vague probatinary status. He wins football games in a big conference that makes a lot of money and those kinds of guys are hard to find. But he lied to his boss and publicly embarassed him and that is the real unpardonable sin.
    Man, I don't know. He left Arkansas open for litigation by hiring her without disclosing their relationship. There were 159 applicants for that job, a public job at that. I think he'd still be the coach if she was a 25 year old teacher or accountant and Petrino didn't disclose she was on the bike to Long. I think jojo is right on this one.

I very seriously doubt this. Petrino broke some very important rules that would get college presidents fired. Arkansas basically had no choice given the details that have been reported.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I very seriously doubt this. Petrino broke some very important rules that would get college presidents fired. Arkansas basically had no choice given the details that have been reported.
    I agree 100%. I would also like to add that what happened at Penn St and Syracuse might have factored into the equation.

For a Level Playing Field

Isn't this the same AD (the boss, Jeff Long, with Ohio roots) that underhandedly interviewed and hired him while he was under contract to the Falcons? No different that the "dirt bags" at Auburn that underhandedly interviewed him while he under contract with Louisville. Petrino is a dirt bag and so are those who interview him secretly. That AD needs to get canned as well IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Man, I don't know. He left Arkansas open for litigation by hiring her without disclosing their relationship. There were 159 applicants for that job, a public job at that. I think he'd still be the coach if she was a 25 year old teacher or accountant and Petrino didn't disclose she was on the bike to Long. I think jojo is right on this one.
    While that's true, none of it comes out if he doesn't try to impress his mistress with the size of his Harley.

The reason these stories like this and Tiger Woods are so viciously enjoyable to the public is that these guys have all the power in the world. Whatever they want, they get. But the more they take advantage of that power, the shakier the ground they stand upon becomes. And when they fall, they fall fast and furious and in front of everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Was at the dentist yesterday when something about him came on the TV in the ceiling. She said he used to be a patient of hers when he was a coach for the Jags. Apparently he lived in the same community I live in just a few blocks away. Said he was very nice but very quiet with great kids.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

He apparently has a great family which he has done a tremendous amount of harm to given his choices. I have a real hard time reveling in his troubles.

BTW, alot of people I talk to who have interacted with Petrino do not paint him as a person drunk on power and craving adolation. I've also heard that Petrino wasn't showing off with his mistress on a harley but rather they had been caught by her fiance and the ride was a "the jig is up, the news is out, they've finally found me, The renegade who had it made retrieved for a bounty" thing. In other words, his AD was likely going to learn about the reasons Petrino was fired (the innappropriate hiring) regardless of whether the motorcycle crash occurred or not.

Turn Off Ads?