Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Dusty! What gives?

Hey Dusty! What gives?

Maybe I'm getting on your case too soon, but what in the wide, wide world of sports has you batting that big stiff Rolen 4th? You got Ryan RBI Ludstick on the team now.

Rolen has the glove, but Luddy has the stick. Use him Dude! (if you're not gonna bat Bruce 4th, that is)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hey Dusty! What gives?

Bruce is the obvious choice. Only too bad it's illegal to hit two lefties in a row.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Maybe I'm getting on your case too soon, but what in the wide, wide world of sports has you batting that big stiff Rolen 4th? You got Ryan RBI Ludstick on the team now.

Rolen has the glove, but Luddy has the stick. Use him Dude! (if you're not gonna bat Bruce 4th, that is)
    All Rolen did was go 1-3 with a double and get hit by a pitch (I know Ludwick had a double as well). I think while he is healthy Rolen will be the better hitter between Ludwick and himself, but I agree Bruce is the obvious choice.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Given what Rolen says about the success of his shoulder surgery, and his productive Spring- I am hoping for a Berkman/2011ish bounceback from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    All Rolen did was go 1-3 with a double and get hit by a pitch (I know Ludwick had a double as well). I think while he is healthy Rolen will be the better hitter between Ludwick and himself, but I agree Bruce is the obvious choice.
    You apparently missed his foul upper deck shot, but my stance is not based on 1 game. I know both hitters well, and Scott is not the same hitter that he used to be by a mile.

Listen to this: Lud used to bat behind Pujols and I can't tell you how many times he burned 'em for the insult after an intentional walk to Albert. It pizzed me off to see them pass Votto twice with Rolen behind him and Bruce and Lud wasted.

When Bruce is hitting he's a VERY dangerous man...more dangerous than Ludwick or maybe anybody. But when he is in one of his funks he flat out stinks. You just got Luddy, so give him a shot , and don't wait till May to do it!

If Dusty still has Rolen at #4 today it's a mistake.

The Reds are off today.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

I think most people agree Scott Rolen is not a clean up hitter and with his age and injury history its unlikely he will provide much protection for Votto, but I don't get why you see Ryan Ludwick as a solution.

Throw out the anomaly that was his 2008 season and you are looking at a guy that accumulated 4.4 WAR over 2300+ plate appearances. By any measure that is a bench player.

BTW, it was only one game but Jay Bruce looked fantastic yesterday. He worked himself into good counts and did not flail at the soft stuff away like he did last year. If he looks that comfortable all year I see no we he can't end up hitting #4

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The Reds are off today.
    sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I think most people agree Scott Rolen is not a clean up hitter and with his age and injury history its unlikely he will provide much protection for Votto, but I don't get why you see Ryan Ludwick as a solution.

Throw out the anomaly that was his 2008 season and you are looking at a guy that accumulated 4.4 WAR over 2300+ plate appearances. By any measure that is a bench player.

BTW, it was only one game but Jay Bruce looked fantastic yesterday. He worked himself into good counts and did not flail at the soft stuff away like he did last year. If he looks that comfortable all year I see no we he can't end up hitting #4
    Throw out all that WAR baloney and just WATCH how many good ABs he will have after an IBB to Votto.

I can see batting Ludwick 4th but hes not going to play every game. Half the games are going to have Heisey in the lineup. maybe more than half since we face more righties than lefties. So Rolen is going to have to hit 4th half the time at least.

Throw out all that WAR baloney and just WATCH how many good ABs he will have after an IBB to Votto.
    Fair enough. I will throw out all the stats. How does a major, middle of the order RBI machine go to unrestricted free agency in this day and age and end up with a contract for what amounts to chump change.

Its possible the scouts and front office people for 29 other teams were wrong and you are right, but it seems unlikely.

Believe in Rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Fair enough. I will throw out all the stats. How does a major, middle of the order RBI machine go to unrestricted free agency in this day and age and end up with a contract for what amounts to chump change.

Its possible the scouts and front office people for 29 other teams were wrong and you are right, but it seems unlikely.
    He's not an RBI machine. He's a good #4 hitter. After that IBB to Votto he will GIDP far less than Rolen, and hit a damn sight more HRs.

As far as the other 29 teams passing on him: teams every year add guys to their team that have sucked for years. Aaron Miles, Theriot, bums like that. They also pay big bucks for free agents that suddenly start to suck.

Jockety's pick up of a totally washed up Edmonds is a classic example of low hanging fruit. So your point of some implied wisdom of baseball execs is almost laughable. My God! Rick Ankiel is still playing every day for some team!

Looks like I went on a rant here....before I get in any deeper let me just say that when Bruce is not hitting, Lud is your best option, and no matter how Rolen is hitting he is NEVER an option.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    Given what Rolen says about the success of his shoulder surgery, and his productive Spring- I am hoping for a Berkman/2011ish bounceback from him.
    You only want 31 HR & 94 RBI?

Nothing like a .301/.412/.959 wish!

Always aim high!
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

As long as Rolen is healthy he will hit fourth.

Turn Off Ads?