Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gotta feeling......

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I gotta feeling......

I've had it since the end of the 2011 season. And I felt it, strongly, again yesterday.

Cueto - 7 strong innings
    Madson out for the season - Marshall - 1 IP, 2 K's, and he made them look stupid.
    Chapman - 1 IP, 2 K's........and he looks like a totally different pitcher and still is dominant.

Votto didn't do much of anything.......BUT.......

Rolen = after botching the bunt play in the 1st inning - he turned in 2 plays only Rolen could make. Then he doubles setting up a key run scored. This is a good sign.

Bruce - after hitting 2 previous at-bats to CF, he finally drills one and shows us all what to expect much of the season ahead.

Ludwick - key double to add insurance. Solid in LF.

Heisey - is there any better Pinch Hitter in baseball? Another key insurance run.

In terms of maturity, this team has reached it. I'm really impressed with their demeanor and attitude. From the off season to Spring Training until now...........this team gets it. Nothing is going to stop them. This will be a fun season, similar to 1990.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I gotta feeling......

I have a good feeling too. Still, luck -- basically in the form of health -- will play a role.

Love the way Bruce looks this year. People can say what they want, but I am convinced he needed to be in better shape, which is the most visible sign of a guy being truly dedicated. Not saying Bruce was a slacker or anything, I just think he felt his talent could do most of the work. If he wants to be great, he can't see it that way -- he has to see it more like Votto does. 2012 may be the year for that transformation.

Remember, the Reds were 5-0 and on top of the world after five games last year. As fun as it is to get excited about an opening day win, it means the same as a business day special win in June. I'm excited about this team, but in the grand scheme, one game really doesn't mean anything.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Remember, the Reds were 5-0 and on top of the world after five games last year. As fun as it is to get excited about an opening day win, it means the same as a business day special win in June. I'm excited about this team, but in the grand scheme, one game really doesn't mean anything.
    I understand where your coming from and completely ready to eat my words. I'm 46 years old and my family had Reds season tickets at Crosley Field, back in the 50's, all the way through the Riverfront years until GABP opened. Huge Reds fans are all my family.

I think attitude can go a long way to reaping success.

I sensed, not only the frustration of the fans, after last season, but with the ballplayers too. Here they were coming off a 2010 playoff appearance where they appeared to just be happy to be there. Reminds me of the early 70's Reds teams.

This team got a taste and then pee-ed away last season with injuries and some complacency. So did management.

One game down and I'm already proclaiming them the team to beat. But I do see something different with this team. And it's not simply because of 1 game. It's an attitude that I can sense.

Maybe I need a TV show called Cincinnati Dude, where I show my psychic abilities? Hahaha. But seriously. I sense a purpose and a drive that hasn't been there in previous years.

I hope continues and am looking forward to this season.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

killjoy.

I remember the 9-0 Opening Day win over Atlanta in 1980. Coming off of the Division title in 1979, I figured it was full speed ahead to the playoffs and another World Series title.

1990 was a tad stressful from August on, not really a cake walk

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I have a weird feeling too...

I nailed the scoreboard stumper in seconds. A lady randomly asked me at the bar before the game the trivia question "what # did Bench start out with the Reds as?" I had no clue. 53 popped in my head. Nailed it. Then the Reds played a ho-hum business as usual game against a team that came in angry. It has special year written all over it
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    1990 was a tad stressful from August on, not really a cake walk
    Yep, the starting pitching was falling apart and the lineup went into a major slump. Norm Charlton played savior in the rotation and Eric Davis donned a Superman cape during the last month of the season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Something that was fun about yesterday is that the team came out and took care of business in the first opportunity to do so. It is one game, doesn't mean anything in the grand schemes, but on the 10th anniversary of GAB, where the inaugural game was a good ole-fashioned butt-kicking by the lowly Pirates, it sure does feel good.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yep, the starting pitching was falling apart and the lineup went into a major slump. Norm Charlton played savior in the rotation and Eric Davis donned a Superman cape during the last month of the season.
    Hi M2
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

hush
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

The 76 team was the only team in my life that I was convinced was destined to win it all, and that's in all of professional sports. Back then there were two certainties, the Reds would be great and Moeller would destroy everyone

Turn Off Ads?