Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Madson hadn't gotten Hurt.....

If Madson hadn't gotten Hurt.....

Yesterday watching Chapman absolutely dominate an inning yesterday and make the defending NL batting champ look like a fool, I was thinking where Chapman would be without some bullpen injuries. That made me think that if Masset and Madson didnt get hurt (especially Madson) would Aroldis be in the rotation and Bailey be traded?

I wanted to see what the rest of reds country thinks...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If Madson hadn't gotten Hurt.....

It depends on who it was up too. Dusty I think has wanted Chapman in the bullpen from the first day of camp. I think Walt wants him in the rotation but as of right now this team needs him in the bullpen. I hope Masset comes back healthy because I would love to see Chapman get a chance to show what he can do for 5-7 innings. With the way he looked yesterday in the 8th I dont see how you can move him at all right now. The guy can pitch 2 sometimes 3 innings relief which I think is fine right now. Im still holding out hope Walt signs Oswalt for some rotation insurance(at least Peter Gammons said that Reds and Oswalt is still a possibility)

What some people seem to forget is that if Chapman would have been a starter at the beginning of the season, he would have to be shut down at the end of July or something like that? That would have sucked if he would have been lights out and we were like a game in first and all of a sudden we would have to shut him down and throw someone else in there. Now maybe with a couple of months in the bullpen, he could begin starting in June or July and finish out the season. It's just a thought.

There's no reason to think Chapman would have to be shut down in July. He's always been a starter, the Reds turned him into a bullpen arm just to get him to the big league club, which I think more and more was a mistake. Should've never taken him out of Louisville and he would've been in the rotation in the middle of last year. I think he could go 170 innings if he started now. The worst thing that happened to him was Dusty using him every other day last year, which was apparant when he suddenly had trouble and lost 15+MPH off his heater and Ramon had to tell the staff something was wrong with him...ended up being just exhaustion. Chapman is great out of the pen, but I would use him for two or three innings at a time twice a week, instead of having him face three batters and sit and keep running him out there. I hope he doesn't get hurt having the lack of rest he's been used to his whole life.

Flat out, no question for all the good that the Reds have done they are on the verge of ruining Chapman and wasting 30 million dollars due to either stubbornish or foolishness by Walt...

[QUOTE=brm7675;2555910]Flat out, no question for all the good that the Reds have done they are on the verge of ruining Chapman and wasting 30 million dollars due to either stubbornish or foolishness by Walt...[/QUOThttp://www.redlegsreview.com/2012/04/opening-day-cincinnatis-greatest.htmlE]

From what I've heard, Walt wanted him in the rotation and Dusty wanted him in the pen. Walt was going to get his way until Madson got hurt. If something bad happens to Chapman, it will be because Dusty is using him too many days in a row.

What does Madsen injury have to do with doing what is best for the franchise and Chapman?

[redacted]

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    What does Madsen injury have to do with doing what is best for the franchise and Chapman?
    Well, it shouldn't, but the reason Chapman is relieving right now is because of the state of peril the bullpen is supposedly in with Madson and Masset down for the count.

The reality is Madson did get hurt and is a lost cause for 2012. Sooo.. We currently need Chapman in the pen for the sake of this bullpen. When Masset gets back healthy then maybe he can be moved into the rotation or to AAA to get ready for the rotation but until then I have to think that hes in the best spot according to the teams needs. Bray is said to not be able to be the set-up man at the current time and other than maybe Arrendondo there isnt anyone I would trust for the job. I think that at the present time Chapman is needed in the pen because w/o Madson and Masset the pen doesnt look to fierce IMO so Im fine with the decision for the time being. When July or August comes around and the staff is struggling and Chapman is still in the pen I might have a different opinion.

So in the entire Reds organization there is NO other pitcher who can pitch out of the pen every few days for an inning? Wow if that is true we are so screwed..

x
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

From what I have heard Chapman was only a 4-5 inning guy in Cuba. I'm cool with him in the pen. It's not Krusties fault they over paid for him. I would like him in the rotation, but with the injuries, it is what it is. As long as we win, who cares!!!!!

On the positive side of the equation though, if Marshall turns out to be a really good closer, we end up with a below market value closer for the next 4 seasons rather than a highly paid setup guy.

In effect we would be getting 4 years or Marshall for the cost of 1.5 years of Cordero.

The strike out of Reyes really showed me something. It was an offspeed splitter or fork ball that had Reyes leaning way out front. There's the 3rd pitch!

He needs to be in the rotation. Move Leake or Bronson to the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    So in the entire Reds organization there is NO other pitcher who can pitch out of the pen every few days for an inning? Wow if that is true we are so screwed..

You put the guy that can perform the best at any givin position whether that be a starter a bench player, bullpen or starting rotation. Right now our BEST option for a set-up man or late inning relief is Aroldis Chapman. Sure someone else could do it but wouldn't be nearly effective as Chapman is. I may not agree with it but right now its for the good of the team. I'm one of the first to say that Chapman is better off in the long run pitching in the rotation so I can see where you're coming from but like Ive already said, he's the best option for the role that he currently is performing in. Now, when Masset comes back that may change depending on how effective he is. I hope that is the case because I would love to see what Aroldis can do for 5, 6, or 7 innings

Also I would like for Dusty to maybe use Chapman for more than 1 inning. Maybe let him go at least 2 or possibly 3. he could handle that kind of workload and the transition to a starter may in fact be easier and take less time if Dusty were to do this.
    Last edited by DGullett35; 04-06-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Turn Off Ads?