Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Minor League Thoughts

Minor League Thoughts

Having had a chance to see the rosters and read the Reds top 50, etc., here are some thoughts on the Reds minor league system. Hopefully those with more knowledge will provide some thoughts as well.

A- I don't see any absolute sure fire prospects in the system. Corcino may be the surest bet to be a solid major leaguer. Hamilton has great upside but is raw. Stephenson hasn't pitched yet. There is depth, but maybe not the highest echelon prospects.

B- Even if Phillips does sign long-term, with Rolen's contract running out, I can see meaningful roles for Frazier, Gregorius, and HRod on the Reds soon. I recall that HRod is a switch hitter and Gregorius hits lefty (correct?) which gives them additional value in my view. I see Didi and HRod perhaps joining the Reds' bench in the near future, maybe 2013.

C- It's interesting how the current Reds regime, aka Jocketty, trades so many prospects. The earlier regime kept all four big prospects, Bruce, Bailey, Cueto, Votto. The current regime traded Alonso, Grandal, Boxberger, Francisco, Sappelt, Torreyes. Of course, the Bruce group was very high end.

D- I don't see a wealth of top offensive talent in this system. Increasingly, this organization is emphasizing pitching and defense as much as possible. We might expect Corcino and Stephenson to move quickly through the organization, probably the two top starting pitching prospects in the organization.

E- This is one of those years where AAA for the Reds is not heavy on prospects. It's more of a major league taxi squad. Soto is an exception as is the new pitcher from Atlanta. Phipps maybe.

F- I see Neftali Soto as prime trade bait. Good prospect, but plays Votto's position. Reds have already tried him at other positions then moved him to first base. Left field is a possibility. Another first baseman who needs to play LF to stay with the organization?

G- Assuming Phillips signs up, next year the Reds starting team could be very similar to the current team. A replacement for Rolen may be necessary. Could be Frazier or a trade. Otherwise I'd expect a similar team in 2013, with perhaps changes in the pen and the bench. May not be too many opportunities for minor leaguers to become starting players for the Reds. I could see some AA or AAA guys joining the bench and bullpen though.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-07-2012 at 02:53 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor League Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Having had a chance to see the rosters and read the Reds top 50, etc., here are some thoughts on the Reds minor league system. Hopefully those with more knowledge will provide some thoughts as well.

A- I don't see any absolute sure fire prospects in the system. Corcino may be the surest bet to be a solid major leaguer. Hamilton has great upside but is raw. Stephenson hasn't pitched yet. There is depth, but maybe not the highest echelon prospects.

B- Even if Phillips does sign long-term, with Rolen's contract running out, I can see meaningful roles for Frazier, Gregorius, and HRod on the Reds soon. I recall that HRod is a switch hitter and Gregorius hits lefty (correct?) which gives them additional value in my view. I see Didi and HRod perhaps joining the Reds' bench in the near future, maybe 2013.

C- It's interesting how the current Reds regime, aka Jocketty, trades so many prospects. The earlier regime kept all four big prospects, Bruce, Bailey, Cueto, Votto. The current regime traded Alonso, Grandal, Boxberger, Francisco, Sappelt, Torreyes. Of course, the Bruce group was very high end.

D- I don't see a wealth of top offensive talent in this system. Increasingly, this organization is emphasizing pitching and defense as much as possible. We might expect Corcino and Stephenson to move quickly through the organization, probably the two top starting pitching prospects in the organization.

E- This is one of those years where AAA for the Reds is not heavy on prospects. It's more of a major league taxi squad. Soto is an exception as is the new pitcher from Atlanta. Phipps maybe.

F- I see Neftali Soto as prime trade bait. Good prospect, but plays Votto's position. Reds have already tried him at other positions then moved him to first base. Left field is a possibility. Another first baseman who needs to play LF to stay with the organization?

G- Assuming Phillips signs up, next year the Reds starting team could be very similar to the current team. A replacement for Rolen may be necessary. Could be Frazier or a trade. Otherwise I'd expect a similar team in 2013, with perhaps changes in the pen and the bench. May not be too many opportunities for minor leaguers to become starting players for the Reds. I could see some AA or AAA guys joining the bench and bullpen though.
    D- This is a function of this organization's unnatural draft fetish for fourth outfielders and utility infielders while almost a total disregard for corner bats (especially OF corners) since they took Jay Bruce.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    D- This is a function of this organization's unnatural draft fetish for fourth outfielders and utility infielders while almost a total disregard for corner bats (especially OF corners) since they took Jay Bruce.
    Jay Bruce's don't exactly come around often. Since Bruce, the Reds have drafted Todd Frazier (he was a shortstop, but no one actually expected him to stick) in the first round, Neftali Soto in the 3rd round (again a shortstop, but one who wasn't expected to stick), Yonder Alonso in the first round and Gabriel Rosa in the 2nd round.

Not really a true outfielder in the bunch, but to suggest they haven't gone after corner bats is a big stretch. They have gone after some and for the most part, have turned out pretty good.

KD1476

Whats your thoughts on Cingarini? Every time I see his box score stats they are very good, plus he is a little older coming out of Rice. I think he can help us in the pin or even as a starter. I also think Lutz could be something special if he keeps improving. Another name would be Buckley. What do you think?

Cozart was roundly dismissed as an all-field no-hit guy with the ceiling of a utility infielder the moment he was drafted, too.

Criticizing Buckley's drafting approach, given the results he's had with the Reds, is groundless, IMO.

Cozart was roundly dismissed as an all-field no-hit guy with the ceiling of a utility infielder the moment he was drafted, too.

Criticizing Buckley's drafting approach, given the results he's had with the Reds, is groundless, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?