Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 166 to 180 of 180

Thread: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

  1. #166
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    348

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Let's hope old Bell is just way too rusty out there!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #167
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,381

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Latos career/entering tonight: April 1-6 (5.57)...rest of season 26-23 (3.14)
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  4. #168
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,110

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    I guess starting the season 1-1 is an old Reds tradition. Seems like more often than not its been that way
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  5. #169
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,381

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I guess starting the season 1-1 is an old Reds tradition. Seems like more often than not its been that way
    We started 5-0 last year and 0-2 the year before lol
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  6. #170
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,110

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    I'll take 1-1 over 0-2
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  7. #171
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,490

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Didn't figure that the Marlins would lose every game. They were due to win. But the pitching matchup favored the Reds tonight. And now they have lost.

  8. #172
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,110

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Final 8-3 Marlins. Middle of the order 1-12.
    First pitch hitting kills.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  9. #173
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,991

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Welsh said Randy Of Pure Blood told him that Nolasco would attack the zone and change speeds..... well he did change speeds....but his pitches were either moving better than they looked....beacuse they were not really a majority of strikes. Just pitches that looked close ...and with a patient impaired hitting team.... that's bad news.

  10. #174
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,991

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I disagree. Votto has a two run homer. What have the righty bats contributed?

    Look at Nolasco's splits for last year, for his career. You want to get to him, load up the lineup with LH hitters. Reds don't have them.

    Really good pitchers are equally tough against all hitting. For them, it doesn't matter.

    For guys like Nolasco, he can't overcome the percentages. Load up the lineup with LH hitters you have a big advantage. Whatever, I'm tired of making this argument, the Reds obviously don't buy it.


    You forgot what Cozart did.

    Even if they get a LH bat for LF.....you still have RH at 2B, 3B and C and SS. YOu are stuck with RH and they are not going to platoon those positions with another LH bat.

  11. #175
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,762

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    You forgot what Cozart did.

    Even if they get a LH bat for LF.....you still have RH at 2B, 3B and C and SS. YOu are stuck with RH and they are not going to platoon those positions with another LH bat.
    If you look at the splits, the Reds line-up is filled with guys who murder LHP and really struggle against RHP. The main culprits held over from last year are Rolen, Stubbs, Cairo and Hanigan, but Phillips has historically been very splitty and rookie RH bats in Cozart and Mesoraco figure to have a platoon split as well. Both Ludwick and Heisey have been OK vs RHP. This is where the Francisco deal hurts IMO. Rolen really struggled against RHP last year. Francisco would have been another lefty who hits against RHP and I do think the Reds should have a lefty who can play twice per week at 3B while Rolen rests. Perhaps Willie Harris will get a chance, but he's not really a hitter who helps against anyone.

    Another LH Bat in the OF may allow the Reds to sit Stubbs a little more against RHP with Heisey shifting to CF. I think when a RH is on the mound, the Reds need at least one more guy who hits well against them in the line-up. That may not be one player. It may be a guy who can hit RHP playing 3B a couple days per week and another subbing for Stubbs on other days. The way the roster is structured, the Reds are vulnerable to RHP which happens to be about 70% of the time. Unfortunately, the next guy in line at AAA (Todd Frazier) may also be more of a lefty killer at the major league level.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  12. #176
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,490

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If you look at the splits, the Reds line-up is filled with guys who murder LHP and really struggle against RHP. The main culprits held over from last year are Rolen, Stubbs, Cairo and Hanigan, but Phillips has historically been very splitty and rookie RH bats in Cozart and Mesoraco figure to have a platoon split as well. Both Ludwick and Heisey have been OK vs RHP. This is where the Francisco deal hurts IMO. Rolen really struggled against RHP last year. Francisco would have been another lefty who hits against RHP and I do think the Reds should have a lefty who can play twice per week at 3B while Rolen rests. Perhaps Willie Harris will get a chance, but he's not really a hitter who helps against anyone.

    Another LH Bat in the OF may allow the Reds to sit Stubbs a little more against RHP with Heisey shifting to CF. I think when a RH is on the mound, the Reds need at least one more guy who hits well against them in the line-up. That may not be one player. It may be a guy who can hit RHP playing 3B a couple days per week and another subbing for Stubbs on other days. The way the roster is structured, the Reds are vulnerable to RHP which happens to be about 70% of the time. Unfortunately, the next guy in line at AAA (Todd Frazier) may also be more of a lefty killer at the major league level.
    The key starting player in all this IMO is Heisey.

    Because he has hit righties well, the Reds use Heisey as a substitute for a left handed hitter.

    It seems likely that eventually the percentages will catch up with Chris and he will level off against RHP.

    I think a more traditional platoon in LF, with a lefty hitter and Ludwick, would be better.

    As for Rolen, he was hurt last year, it shouldn't count much. Over his career he hits righty pitching well enough. My concern with Rolen isn't so much hitting RHP, it's more whether he is healthy enough to be effective generally.

  13. #177
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,991

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If you look at the splits, the Reds line-up is filled with guys who murder LHP and really struggle against RHP. The main culprits held over from last year are Rolen, Stubbs, Cairo and Hanigan, but Phillips has historically been very splitty and rookie RH bats in Cozart and Mesoraco figure to have a platoon split as well. Both Ludwick and Heisey have been OK vs RHP. This is where the Francisco deal hurts IMO. Rolen really struggled against RHP last year. Francisco would have been another lefty who hits against RHP and I do think the Reds should have a lefty who can play twice per week at 3B while Rolen rests. Perhaps Willie Harris will get a chance, but he's not really a hitter who helps against anyone.

    Another LH Bat in the OF may allow the Reds to sit Stubbs a little more against RHP with Heisey shifting to CF. I think when a RH is on the mound, the Reds need at least one more guy who hits well against them in the line-up. That may not be one player. It may be a guy who can hit RHP playing 3B a couple days per week and another subbing for Stubbs on other days. The way the roster is structured, the Reds are vulnerable to RHP which happens to be about 70% of the time. Unfortunately, the next guy in line at AAA (Todd Frazier) may also be more of a lefty killer at the major league level.

    I am in agreement with you and KC. But they sure wasted time doing something about this sooner.

    I think even Javier Valentin would be preferred over Willie Harris right now.....but who knows....Miguel surprised everyone for the last 2 years as well.

  14. #178
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,490

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I am in agreement with you and KC. But they sure wasted time doing something about this sooner.

    I think even Javier Valentin would be preferred over Willie Harris right now.....but who knows....Miguel surprised everyone for the last 2 years as well.
    It doesn't seem to have been a priority.

    They made two key decisions. First, they decided to go with Heisey/Ludwick for LF. I think both players are pretty good, but they are too similar. A traditional platoon made more sense.

    The second decision was to trade Francisco. Again, fine, but as you say, this leaves Willie Harris as the LHH on the bench. Reds could use a better LH bench hitter.

  15. #179
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,991

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It doesn't seem to have been a priority.

    They made two key decisions. First, they decided to go with Heisey/Ludwick for LF. I think both players are pretty good, but they are too similar. A traditional platoon made more sense.

    The second decision was to trade Francisco. Again, fine, but as you say, this leaves Willie Harris as the LHH on the bench. Reds could use a better LH bench hitter.

    Raul Ibanez? I know....he's 40. But he signed for less than $2 million.

    Of course.... since Heisey cannot hit LH pitching beacuse of his inability to reach out for pitches ...it seems and his plate coverage is not very good on the outside..... than it would not have made a difference.

  16. #180
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,762

    Re: 4/7/12 - Reds vs Marlins

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The key starting player in all this IMO is Heisey.

    Because he has hit righties well, the Reds use Heisey as a substitute for a left handed hitter.

    It seems likely that eventually the percentages will catch up with Chris and he will level off against RHP.

    I think a more traditional platoon in LF, with a lefty hitter and Ludwick, would be better.

    As for Rolen, he was hurt last year, it shouldn't count much. Over his career he hits righty pitching well enough. My concern with Rolen isn't so much hitting RHP, it's more whether he is healthy enough to be effective generally.
    I think its a mistake to assume that Rolen's new found health will last. He had a surgery that relieved his pain and freed his swing and right now that's great, but he's had surgery before, felt better and after a couple of months of wear and tear through playing baseball was right back to pain, reduced production and frequent missed paying time. I hope Rolen can have an .800+ OPS season with 500 PAs, but I think counting on it (as the team seems to be doing with him penciled in as the clean-up hitter) is a foolish plan. We may witness a couple of good months, but I'd prefer he be a bottom of the order guy where his production could be a bonus. On the current roster, there really isn't a good choice, but I hope some one can emerge as a middle of the order force against RHP down the road for when Rolen may not be so healthy. I though Francisco may have been one of the better bets for that before he was dealt. I'd probably put the best odds on Ludwick of the guys that are left.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25