Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 4/8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Birthdays: 4/8

Happy Easter, all..

Reds:

Yonder Alonso (25) -Let's see, what can i tell you about Yonder that you don't already know...how about this: He once played in the Hawaiian Winter League for a team called the Waikiki Beachboys.

Dane Sardinha (33) -He got one of Jim Bowden's famous major-league deals coming out of the draft. Did any of those ever work out? Dane's first major league hit was a triple; wonder how many catchers can say that...

Eddie Priest (38) -His two brief appearances with the 1998 Reds constitute his entire ML career. Was traded to Cleveland with another guy for Rick Krivda in June; after the season was over the Reds reclaimed him on waivers and he went back to being AAA fodder for them.

Others:

Felix Hernandez (still just 26) -On June 23, 2008, in his only at bat of the season, he hit a grand slam- the first one hit by an AL pitcher since 1971.

Gary Carter -R.I.P. Gary...The more I read about him the more I like him.

Catfish Hunter -As you probably know, the nickname was given to him by Charlie Finley for no other reason than he thought it was colorful...Catfish, Cy Young and Christy Mathewson are the only pitchers to win 200 games by their 31st birthday...His HOF plaque show him with a blank cap, because he said he couldn't choose between the A's and the Yankees.

Kirby Higbe -Hard-throwing country boy for the wartime Dodgers. Was traded to the Pirates in 1947 after expressing a disinclination to play with Jackie Robinson. Had an interesting life; his autobiography, The High Hard One, is supposed to be pretty good for what it is; I've never been able to get hold of a copy...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Re: Birthdays: 4/8

It's hard to believe both Hunter and Carter are now gone from this world. I liked both of them. Both good, tough players who really cared for the game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 4/8

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Catfish Hunter -As you probably know, the nickname was given to him by Charlie Finley for no other reason than he thought it was colorful...Catfish, Cy Young and Christy Mathewson are the only pitchers to win 200 games by their 31st birthday...His HOF plaque show him with a blank cap, because he said he couldn't choose between the A's and the Yankees.
    Hunter refused higher offers from San Diego and Kansas City to sign with the Yankees in 1975. I've always said to myself that if I had been a MLB player, I would have done everything possible to AVOID playing for The Evil Empire. Take that, Don Gullett!

Turn Off Ads?