Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: 4/8 - Reds vs Marlins

Re: 4/8 - Reds vs Marlins

In my mind, small sample size only applies to poor numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

When I saw Bruce was leading off the 9th inning I knew he was going to homer. I should've posted it to make it offical

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Cozart hitting .545 with a 1.765 OPS. Small sample size?
    A-Rod who?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Pitch count is overrated. Innings is far more important. It's the amount of time you warm up, pitch, the sit down for 10-15 minutes that wears out your arm. Also the number of times theough an order is just as important.
    This is absolutely false. Theoretically, a guy can go 9 innings and throw 27 pitches. He could pitch the next day with a game like that. Who is more fresh, pitcher A who throws 9 innings, but does it in 90 pitches? Or pitcher B who throws 6, but throws 110. Innings pitched is far less important than pitches thrown because it fails to give you the whole picture. Its about how many pitches thrown, and the efficiency of which they're thrown.

I get what you're saying overall in regards to getting up, sitting down, time between throwing, etc. But overall, number of pitches is far and away more important than innings thrown.
    Last edited by cincyinco; 04-08-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    This is absolutely false. Theoretically, a guy can go 9 innings and throw 27 pitches. He could pitch the next day with a game like that. Who is more fresh, pitcher A who throws 9 innings, but does it in 90 pitches? Or pitcher B who throws 6, but throws 110. Innings pitched is far less important than pitches thrown because it fails to give you the whole picture. Its about how many pitches thrown, and the efficiency of which they're thrown.

I get what you're saying overall in regards to getting up, sitting down, time between throwing, etc. But overall, number of pitches is far and away more important than innings thrown.
    The guy who went 9 innings would have thrown 162 pitches overall when you count his warm up pitches. The guy who went six with 110 would have thrown 148 pitches over all.

I will agree that the efficiency of which they are thrown is very important as well. Pitching with a big lead is usually easier since you throw more fastballs. You are right, you do need to look at the whole picture.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I just got on here so sorry if it has been posted already.I really think Bruce and rolen saved Bakers butt today.I really thought he left Bronson in there one inning to late.I don't know what his pich count was but the marlins hit him hard off and on the whole game.Why is dusty already worring about his bullpen needing rest when its only the third game of the season?
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

So if we were members of Marlinszone, would we give Hanley grief about the games
    last play?

Came across a stat that said Hanigan makes contact with 98% of the strikes he swings at. Is that true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So if we were members of Marlinszone, would we give Hanley grief about the games
    last play?
    yep.. plenty of masked profanity and yelling on marlinzone..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I wanted to second guess Baker on leaving Arroyo in too long also; but unless Arroyo... and pitchers and managers do talk in between innings .... communicated to Baker that he was out of gas, I had no problem with him going out for the 7th.

He was pitching a pretty good game.... 6 innings, PC at approximately 75, 2 runs (1 unearned). Where I fault Dusty is not having someone throwing in the BP to start the 7th. Because as soon as Bronson hit the first batter (Dobbs), that's when I would have jerked him. But he couldn't immediately because he had no one warming up. So he had to continue to let Bronson throw - do some stalling - until Ondrusek was ready. IMO, that's where Dusty screwed up.

But how about that Jay Bruce!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Came across a stat that said Hanigan makes contact with 98% of the strikes he swings at. Is that true?
    According to Fangraphs, each of the past two seasons show a 2.5% swinging strike rate. So yes, that means that he's making contact with 97.5% of the pitches he swings at.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I wanted to second guess Baker on leaving Arroyo in too long also; but unless Arroyo... and pitchers and managers do talk in between innings .... communicated to Baker that he was out of gas, I had no problem with him going out for the 7th.

He was pitching a pretty good game.... 6 innings, PC at approximately 75, 2 runs (1 unearned). Where I fault Dusty is not having someone throwing in the BP to start the 7th. Because as soon as Bronson hit the first batter (Dobbs), that's when I would have jerked him. But he couldn't immediately because he had no one warming up. So he had to continue to let Bronson throw - do some stalling - until Ondrusek was ready. IMO, that's where Dusty screwed up.

But how about that Jay Bruce!
    Did Dusty address this in the post game?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I've heard Marty's call of the game winner, but I didn't hear Bruce's 2nd HR call. Anyone have a link for it?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    last play?
    I would have. Just a total give up. Nothing hurt by at least throwing towards the plate. If the runner falls down going to home you have a good chance at getting him. I think it shows what Ramirez is all about, IMO.
    Bruce may just have that complete break out season this year. Last year was good but this one could be sensational.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Bruce may just have that complete break out season this year. Last year was good but this one could be sensational.

Currently projected to hit 162 HR and 270 RBI. That's decent.

Turn Off Ads?