Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2013 Astros most profitable MLB team ever

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

2013 Astros most profitable MLB team ever

http://deadspin.com/report-astros-mo...ver-1201746017

Oh yeah that whole payroll slashing, fielding a glorified AAA team, really was a "winning" strategy after all.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: 2013 Astros most profitable MLB team ever

Mike Brown is smiling.
    sorry we're boring

4. Likes:

joshua (08-26-2013),Red in Atl (08-26-2013),Wonderful Monds (08-26-2013)

I can get why people get upset about the Astros, but I honestly think it's smart business. We baseball fans say all the time that if you are going to tear down and rebuild, don't cut corners. Houston didn't. And now they have a number of prospects in the pipeline with more on the way and the #1 pick in 2014 as well. Now if they continue to act like a small market team who proceeds to trade away any good players in the next few years the minute they have to pay them any money (ie: the Marlins), then yeah, they are shysters and bad for baseball. But I think the Astros are poised to have a lot of talent in the next few years and a lot of payroll flexability in the United States 4th largest city.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

joshua (08-26-2013),mbgrayson (08-26-2013),mth123 (08-26-2013),Razor Shines (08-26-2013),remdog (08-26-2013),Revering4Blue (08-26-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (08-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    http://deadspin.com/report-astros-mo...ver-1201746017

Oh yeah that whole payroll slashing, fielding a glorified AAA team, really was a "winning" strategy after all.
    In fairness, they did try to win and were miserable at it with the nucleus they had. I don't think it was purely a financial move as they weren't going to win any titles with that aging club they had. Too many holes to fill and their better players were losing productivity.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Rachel Phelps is pleased.

In all seriousness the Astros at least have a plan and do appear to be successfully pooling talent at the minor league level. They just need to hope that the prospects come through and they are able to attract complementary free agents. Working in their favor is that they will have money to spend, lots of payroll flexibility, and, unlike the Marlins, have not burned the free agents they have brought in.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The Astros are just storing money up right now and are going to be big players in a year or two. They aren't pulling a Marlins here, they just know where they are in terms of being able to compete. In 3 years if the Astros don't have a $125M payroll, I will be flat out shocked.

10. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (08-26-2013)

The 1915 A's were profitable too... Whoopeee

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I can get why people get upset about the Astros, but I honestly think it's smart business. We baseball fans say all the time that if you are going to tear down and rebuild, don't cut corners. Houston didn't. And now they have a number of prospects in the pipeline with more on the way and the #1 pick in 2014 as well. Now if they continue to act like a small market team who proceeds to trade away any good players in the next few years the minute they have to pay them any money (ie: the Marlins), then yeah, they are shysters and bad for baseball. But I think the Astros are poised to have a lot of talent in the next few years and a lot of payroll flexability in the United States 4th largest city.
    Fans hate it when their teams tank like that. It takes a lot of stones to do that but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel for the Stros. Their GM helped build the StL system and their major league roster is fairly well stocked with home grown players. I don't want to say HOU is a sleeping giant, they are more like a napping giant. Like Tom said they are the 4th largest city in the US. They draw like gangbusters when they are in the pennant race. Socking away $100M this season helps out quite a bit as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'd be happy if I were an Astros fan. Like Tom said if you're going to rebuild then really rebuild. Don't almost compete while almost rebuilding. They've made it fairly evident that this is part of the plan. I'd be totally on board.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?