Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need this series

Need this series

I'm not going to go off the deep end and say this is a must have series, but there is no doubt that this series with the Cardinals can help set the tone for the Reds this season.

The Reds need to send a message to the Cardinals that it's their division, and St. Louis will have to go through them if they want it. Sure Pujols, Larussa, and Duncan are gone, but most of the pieces are the same.

The Reds need this for their own confidence as well. While they have matured and some of the young guys are coming along, they've not had any sort of consistent success against the Cardinals. They need to know that they belong and they can get it done against them.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 04-09-2012 at 01:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Need this series

+1

I agree that this is an important series early in the season.

Here's to a packed house and some good Reds baseball!

I agree a big series for the Reds. By ho means a must win but important to keep the team confident. Also keep the fans excited and coming out to the ball park. Every series at home against the Cards, Brewers, and Pirates will be big. We have got to win the series against our division opponents at home!!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

This is the year

Agreed Im definitely not a fan of having to play them so much early on. Whichever one of them gets the Jump right now is going to have an early advantage.

I guess i will be a fan if we get the sweep this series

However since they are already a 1/2 game ahead we need to win this series at least

this series means no more or no less then the one we just played vs. the Fish. As we have seen in teh past what matters is overall play throughout a season, not a brief 3 game matchup. Add to that we are going with our 4-5-1 guys then I wouldn't put to much into the series and not this early.

VERY big series no matter which month it falls in. I look for a 2-1 win, no sweep. Westbrook goes tonite...he keeps the runs down, but gasses out in the 5th, so the Card middle relief (which is suspect) will be tested. So far they have been so-so.

Let's have a 12-11 slugfest!

Oh! Wainwright won't go in this series.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    VERY big series no matter which month it falls in. I look for a 2-1 win, no sweep. Westbrook goes tonite...he keeps the runs down, but gasses out in the 5th, so the Card middle relief (which is suspect) will be tested. So far they have been so-so.

Let's have a 12-11 slugfest!

Oh! Wainwright won't go in this series.
    Cueto/Garcia could be a good one. But a 12-11 slugfest, there is an off chance that takes place tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Cueto/Garcia could be a good one. But a 12-11 slugfest, there is an off chance that takes place tonight.
    Yeah, I know...but I can hope. Those pesky pitching duels are a real yawn for me during the reg. season.....in the playoffs, too much tension!

How about a game like the Yanks lost the other day? 35 hits and 25 runs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    this series means no more or no less then the one we just played vs. the Fish. As we have seen in teh past what matters is overall play throughout a season, not a brief 3 game matchup. Add to that we are going with our 4-5-1 guys then I wouldn't put to much into the series and not this early.
    Disagree. Getting swept or sweeping the Cardinals will put them anywhere from down 3.5 to up 2.5. No one saying it's going to determine the season, but that it's gonna play a part in it. Also establishing yourself as a team to be wreckoned with early in the season is important. I also think it's important for the Reds psyche's to hang with the Cardinals or even better, to beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    This could not be more incorrect. Obviously, these games mean more because if the Reds win they insure a Cardinal loss.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This could not be more incorrect. Obviously, these games mean more because if the Reds win they insure a Cardinal loss.
    Yep....a loss to the fish: 0.5 ...a loss to the div. leader: full game

Should be a great series, but there is no such thing as a "need" in your fourth game of the season. It's like saying that the football season opener is a must win. If the Reds sweep I would almost be more afraid (overconfidence) then if the Reds got swept. I think the Reds have some work to do and it should be an exciting series regardless. Having said that I think a split would be a fine outcome.

I like the intensity though. But if the Reds sweep I may stay off this message board for about a week as many will crown the Reds the team to beat in the NL (they are not there yet). All the same way to be a good fan.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I feel that all games against the Cards and Brewers are important games, and the ones in April count just as much as the ones in September.

Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    The Reds need to send a message to the Cardinals that it's their division...
    Seriously? It's the Reds' division?
    Did you notice which team is defending world champions?

Westbrook goes tonite...he keeps the runs down, but gasses out in the 5th...
    That's last year's Westbrook. He lost 20 pounds in the offseason and is in far better shape this year. Pitched 24 innings in the spring and allowed only 12 hits.

I expect both starters will go at least six innings.

Turn Off Ads?