Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Team is in Trouble!

Re: This Team is in Trouble!

We have a legit cleanup hitter. His name is Jay Bruce. Unfortunately two lefties can't hit back-to-back in anticipation of that 7th inning LOOGY matchup.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    I know its only 4 games in, but who are we kidding?

1. The offense sans Jay Bruce is pathetic right now.

2. No legit leadoff hitter.

3. No legit cleanup hitter.

4. Dusty is showing his ignorance more than ever.

5. Psychologically we get defeated badly just because its the damn Cardinals.

Just how in the blue hell does the owners think this club can seriously contend without a true leadoff and 4 hitter?
    Thanks for the reminder, Will, as to why I continue to come to this forum less and less.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    We have a legit cleanup hitter. His name is Jay Bruce. Unfortunately two lefties can't hit back-to-back in anticipation of that 7th inning LOOGY matchup.
    Totally agree! I am not like most on here that kill Dusty Baker for everything. I think he is an ideal manager for a plug and play team like the Yankees or Red Sox where he just rolls out the same lineup every night and manages egos. With a team like the Reds you really need someone that is willing to be flexible and try to work with what we have.

If there were 2 things I would change on this team, the first one would be to move Stubbs to the #2 spot in the order. He has talent but poor pitch recognition, especially with out of the zone junk. You put him in front of Votto he is going to see a lot more fastballs and a lot less junk. He should be able to get on base more and if he is on base, Votto is going to see more fastballs.

Second thing is move Bruce to #4. He is the only cleanup bat on this team. The fact they put him at #5 simply to break up the lefties is ridiculous.

It's these kinds of threads that made me stopped reading posts much. Don't worry be happy people. There's more to life than depending on a darn baseball team for your personal happiness or self worth!
    PROVE ME WRONG, REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!

Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Just how in the blue hell does the owners think this club can seriously contend without a true leadoff and 4 hitter?
    Cheer up. You could live in Philadelphia and be watching this offense:

Hunter Pence and some old guys.

This is the year

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Man, I completely disagree.

What do you consider the talents of a leadoff hitter?

For me, I would say on base percentage and ability to work deep in counts. I think that's pretty much the opposite of his skill set.
    What you just said there^ are not talents but a mind set as to how you go about your business at the plate. aka things you can change.

What talents do you need to be a good lead off hitter. Really truely.

-Balls>>crowd the plate and make the pitcher push you off it.

-Speed>>>Duh

-Ability to choke up and put the bat on the ball>>>Really just a mindset but takes practice to be great at. Any ball player in the bigs should be able to do this.

Really the only god given talents you need.

Aside from the balls part he has all of those. But truely i havent seen anyone in the majors play the game hard nose like we did in highschool and college for quite sometime.

This is an idiotic thread for April 10 after 4 games.

Just like last year:

1. Inconsisent starting pitching.

2. Pretty bad middle relief pitching.

3. Inability to handle right handed pitching because we don't have enough left handed bats on this team.

I think Baker should be shot for not batting Votto/Bruce....in my mind it goes past idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    I think Baker should be shot for not batting Votto/Bruce....in my mind it goes past idiocy.
    I'm not sure if I understand the above, but if you're saying Votto/Bruce are enough left handed bats, where have you been the last 2 years? Last night was a perfect example- a mediocre right handed picher pitches around Votto and Bruce and then bears down against all the other righties in the lineup. It happens all the time. In addition, when its time to bring someone off the bench, we've got Fred Lewis/Willie Harris plus a bunch of righties.

I just don't understand the refusal of Walt, Dusty, and the majority of fans to recognize how we are getting killed by lack of left handed hitting.

Holy **** is there some overreaction on this thread. Yes, it's been a frustrating start to the season, but the team is 2-2 right now. Can we give it a week or two before everyone starts jumping off bridges? This isn't a 16-game NFL season or strike-shortened NBA season. We have 158 games left.

How about letting 10% play out before giving up?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Holy **** is there some overreaction on this thread. Yes, it's been a frustrating start to the season, but the team is 2-2 right now. Can we give it a week or two before everyone starts jumping off bridges? This isn't a 16-game NFL season or strike-shortened NBA season. We have 158 games left.

How about letting 10% play out before giving up?
    We heard this all last year from the "it's a marathon and not a sprint" crowd. Heard it from Dusty and Walt and the players as well. How'd that work out? Aside from 2010, Reds' fans have been treated to pretty much a decade's worth of crappy play. Maybe it is a Pavlov's dog type reaction. I don't know. But I can't blame folks for being antsy.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    We heard this all last year from the "it's a marathon and not a sprint" crowd. Heard it from Dusty and Walt and the players as well. How'd that work out? Aside from 2010, Reds' fans have been treated to pretty much a decade's worth of crappy play. Maybe it is a Pavlov's dog type reaction. I don't know. But I can't blame folks for being antsy.
    C'mon man! 4 games! Really? Yanks, Red Sox and Angels are all done. Orioles are in.
    Last edited by RedsfaninMT; 04-10-2012 at 08:19 PM.

The offense save for Cozart and Bruce is brutal right now, I just think the offense is over rated and they will struggle to score runs most nights.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

EMAW

5 games in and people are in a panic mode= RIDICULOUS

Turn Off Ads?