Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cuban Missle

The Cuban Missle

Ok. So, they've sunk a ton of money in this guy. Doesn't sound like my team, but it's what happened.

His first year the front office had the maturity of a 4 year old in a candy store and after he started the first half of the year in the minors, they put him in the major league bullpen where he was a spectacular curiosity and helped push the team to a playoff appearance.

The next year......acting like a hyper-caffeinated teenager, the front office sticks him in the bullpen. He has some rough patches, but he is seen as a bright spot in one of the stronger elements of the team.

During the off season everybody plays lip service to the missle as starter. He's going to Louisville and get stretched out. Then the relievers start to go down to injuries. Chapman pitches like, well, like Chapman and the reds start hemming and hawing and sure enough there he is on opening day the first arm out of the pen transitioning from the starter to the closer.

Am I the only one who thinks the franchise would be better off if Chapman where throwing more innings every 5 days in Louisville?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Cuban Missle

I don't think they prefer having Chapman in the bullpen either, but they need him there right now. I think they have every intention of stretching him out and seeing what he's got for the rotation later in the season.

BTW, it is spelled "missile."
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Yesterday was the best I've ever seen Chapman look. His mechanics were great and he worked at a quicker pace. Everything Bryan Price said about him this spring proved to be true yesterday. He was very, very impressive. He blew John Buck away and then made Reyes look silly with that slider. I just hope we see him get a chance at starting after Masset and Bray are healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yesterday was the best I've ever seen Chapman look. His mechanics were great and he worked at a quicker pace. Everything Bryan Price said about him this spring proved to be true yesterday. He was very, very impressive. He blew John Buck away and then made Reyes look silly with that slider. I just hope we see him get a chance at starting after Masset and Bray are healthy.
    Agreed. I was skeptical about him as a starter, largely due to his lack of command. Seemed like he'd be up to 100 pitches by the fourth inning. But the command seems to have improved enormously, and consequently I'd love to see him get a shot in the rotation.

Still, there's the question of innings. I don't see him going over 140 or so; and if that's the case, do you really want him using up those innings in Louisville? He was stretched a bit in spring training. Seems to me that if he spends about six or eight weeks in the bullpen, somehow lengthening out a bit toward the end of that stint--admittedly, that might be a tricky proposition--he'd be good to go in the rotation for the rest of the year. And the Reds would get the benefit of his remarkable stuff in the meantime, while Bray and Masset recuperate.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the franchise would be better off if Chapman where throwing more innings every 5 days in Louisville?
    I am real happy that Chapman is a major league Red. I was real happy he was available to pitch the 8th inning yesterday.

At some point he will be in the rotation and he may spend a short period in the minors en route to that. But right now, with the starting rotation full and the bullpen missing guys, I am delighted that Chapman is pitching for the Reds.

The major league Cincinnati Reds.

His tempo in his delivery was very good yesterday. Best I've seen since watching him. If he can keep that going, he can be real special. It will be interesting to see how the tempo holds up in stressful situations. Liked that he was working faster, too.

You know, I was sort of on the fence until I caught Thom's argument as to why he was in the 'pen. We all want him to be and ace. Right now we need relievers.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

-The Insider-

I am surprised he's going out of the windup out of the bullpen. If I remember correctly, when he was in the pen last year he went from the stretch.

Aroldis Chapman so far this season: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 38 pitches/27 strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I am surprised he's going out of the windup out of the bullpen. If I remember correctly, when he was in the pen last year he went from the stretch.
    Hopefully thats a sign he won't be in the pen long.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I like what he's doing for the club right now. Invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I like what he's doing for the club right now. Invaluable.
    I'd be very interested to see him used more than the average reliever -- more of the classic 2-3 innings twice a week. He could get 100-120 high leverage innings that way, taking pressure off the rest of the pen and still beng more valuable than your standard 60-70 inning guy.

On that last strikeout, he ramped it up to 100. I do worry that starting would take away his ability to really dial it up a notch to shut the door.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Although I am intrigued with Chapman as a starter, he really has elite closer stuff, and I really think that's where he will eventually have the greatest success and value.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

One comment and one question:

Comment: My goodness does Chapman look great. With Marshall as the closer and Chapman as the left-handed set-up man, the Reds might not miss Madson as much as we thought.

Question: When Chapman signed in early 2010, there were conflicting reports in regards to whether it was a 5-year deal or a 6-year deal. So, which is it? Will Chapman be a free agent after the 2014 season or after the 2015 season? I think it's the latter (he signed a 6-year deal) but I could be wrong. I definitely remember people reporting it both ways. One publication would say 6-year deal, another would say 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    One comment and one question:

Comment: My goodness does Chapman look great. With Marshall as the closer and Chapman as the left-handed set-up man, the Reds might not miss Madson as much as we thought.

Question: When Chapman signed in early 2010, there were conflicting reports in regards to whether it was a 5-year deal or a 6-year deal. So, which is it? Will Chapman be a free agent after the 2014 season or after the 2015 season? I think it's the latter (he signed a 6-year deal) but I could be wrong. I definitely remember people reporting it both ways. One publication would say 6-year deal, another would say 5 years.
    Even if it is a 5 year deal, wouldn't the Reds have him under control for 6 no matter what? Worst case is he's arbitration eligible after his contract runs out. I could be wrong with that, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?