Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds offense - early questions

Re: Reds offense - early questions

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    KC - I'm not worried about third. Frankly, I really think Frazier would outhit Rolen given a season long shot and Rolen won't be a problem offensively. CF and LF are more of a problem going forward - I'd love to see a LH bat out there, too but not unless it profiled as a better bat than any of those three guys. I don't want a lefty just to have a lefty. I am not sold that this is a season crippling problem (the handedness) as much as I am worried about Stubbs just plain proving he really isn't as bad a hitter as he looked last season, and Ludwick proving that his numbers were really off due to Petco's effect and not just lack of talent. To me, Heisey isn't a problem - the two guys he is splitting time with may be.
    The comment "I don't want a lefty just to have a lefty" deserves comment. Nobody wants a bad hitter, righty or lefty. And nobody wants to replace a real good hitter because of handedness.

I couldn't care less if Votto, Phillips and Bruce are righty, lefty or whatever. They are real good hitters or better and their handedness means little to me.

But when you have regular outfielders, starters, like Stubbs, Heisey, and Ludwick, you are dealing with more average MLB hitters.

If you are going with relatively average MLB hitters, then handedness becomes important.

If I'm going to have three positions 3B, LF, and CF with average MLB hitters, then I want a mixture of lefties and righties because I want the percentages on my side. If Rolen, Cairo, Heisey, Stubbs, and Ludwick are to perform like average MLB bats, then I'd rather have a mixture of "average" lefties and righties.

That's my philosophy, always has been. The real good hitters can be anything, I don't care. The guys who are average MLB hitters -- I'd prefer a good lefty righty balance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    My question is how long is Walt/Dusty going to let the Ludwick experiment last. Not saying the decision to drop him needs to be made this instant, but he doesn't exactly deserve a long leash given his performance over the last season and a half.
    Dennis Phipps is the new Chris Heisey!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Harris has hit better than Valdez in his career.

I beleive you are letting Valdez's 3 hits today fool you into believing he's a good hitter.

It's 6 games into the season and many are freeking out over nothing.
    Harris has looked awful all Spring and thus far in the season.

He is a declining player. Valdez is more versatile and has a bit more speed. He has also been a part of a winning team (which matters to some more than others).

I am not freaking out just yet. I do believe that Harris should have been kept down in AAA for emergency situations and Frazier should be here, irregardless of the righty/lefty thing.

If we needed a true LH bat off the bench, Harris is not the answer.

Many say Damon would be a good fit for that role. I agree, but there might be some others on the market still or some that could be had via trade.

IMO, the Reds should be searching everywhere for switch hitters. It is a great commodity on a winning ball club. Who was our last true switch hitter? Wilkin Castillo?

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    Dennis Phipps is the new Chris Heisey!
    And he is starting off nice and hot with a .080 AVG! LOL

Harris gives Dusty options/ideas he can't control... Can that hombre.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Time yet to wonder about whether Stubbs is really a regular major leaguer?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Past time.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm not in panic mode but the lack of LHed bats kills this team. Agree they should have gone after a LH bat for LF instead of Ludwick, to platoon with Heisey.

The Francisco experiment blew up in the Reds face.

Things hindering this team are....
    1. Arroyo contract - pricetag forces them to keep him rotation
    2. Bailey - alot of time and money invested in him, they want him to succeed
    3. Chapman should be starting or given the chance.
    4. Rolen is not a cleanup hitter anymore.
    5. Stubbs is terrible. Been saying it for 2 years. Leadoff hitter? Ugh.
    6. No true cleanup hitter behind Votto. Votto gets pitched around. (Beltran would have been nice)
    7. Bullpen still a serious issue.

Cut Harris and Simon today. There is a quality clean up hitter on this team and his name is Jay Bruce. Go BP, Cozart, Votto, Bruce, Ludwick, Rolen, Mes, Heisey/Stubbs. I think that is about the best you can do without bringing in talent from outside the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Cut Harris and Simon today. There is a quality clean up hitter on this team and his name is Jay Bruce. Go BP, Cozart, Votto, Bruce, Ludwick, Rolen, Mes, Heisey/Stubbs. I think that is about the best you can do without bringing in talent from outside the organization.
    My thoughts exactly. If you want to give Heisey some PT, use him in conjunction with Stubbs while giving Ludwick a chance. I have more faith in Ludwick driving in runs and getting hits regularly than Heisey or Stubs. Move Jay to cleanup and move Rolen down. And definitely cut Hitless Harris and Stumblin Simon yesterday. Dusty's toys must be removed.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I guess we're ok just getting rid of guys that average 3.3 WAR per season? They grow on trees?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I guess we're ok just getting rid of guys that average 3.3 WAR per season? They grow on trees?
    Of course not.

They're more a root vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Like, let's take now. Stubbs is 4 for 25 with 8 strikeouts.

Why does he have to play every single game? Last year, when he slumped, Drew got worse with the overuse. He had the most at bats on the team, by far, a guy who makes so little contact that he struck out over 200 times.

Play Stubbs against lefties and some righties. Stop using him like a star. Give Heisey a bunch of starts in CF too. He hits righties better.

Maybe the offense would improve.

There's absolutely nothing shocking about how Stubbs has underwhelmed to start this season. We saw it all last year. When pitchers really need to get him out, they do. The guy is completely overmatched. And this offense isn't good enough to keep Stubbs on just for his glove.

This early-season offensive ineptitude wouldn't be nearly so concerning if we didn't watch it all last year, save for a series here or there vs. the Cubs or Astros. I was going to include the Pirates but, well, we really can't hit their pitching either.

Stat geek...and proud

Last edited by gilpdawg; 04-13-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: never mind.

Turn Off Ads?