Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dare I say it... Terry Francona?

Tom

Dare I say it... Terry Francona?

Well Forum,

It seems that everyone is in agreement that Dusty, on way or another, is on his way out.

I'm not saying that Francona is the guy, but he's certainly worth discussing. (I don't think he got the fairest of shakes in Boston last year).

Who do you all think would be a good fit for the team?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Dare I say it... Terry Francona?

Who is "everyone"? Ownership has made it clear Dusty is their guy. They're going to extend him, Dusty is going to be here for awhile.

I don't think Francona would be the best fit. he's a players manager just like Dusty. if I could pick someone I think I'd like Ron Gardenhire. if we could pry him from the Twins. Seems like a good manager and his clubs always play hard for him.

Tom

I just don't know about Dusty's future...

Indeed, ownership has made it clear that they like him. But they've been a little unpredictable lately. I mean, who would have ever guessed that the Reds would commit nearly $300 million to two players in, effectively, the same week?

It could very well just be me, but I think something else is going on between Jocketty and Castellini... They've shown that they are both all-in for the next 5-10 years and want to bring numerous championships back to the city. They almost have to know that Dusty isn't the guy to manage a World Series team (didn't work out well for the Giants).

ray knight or bob boone would be better than dusty

Let the kids play!

Francona definitely got screwed with the whole Boston situation. They needed someone to blame for that collapse and he was the one who took the bullet. It's pretty obvious that Epstein was pissed and he bolted for Chicago and now the Sox are screwed.

If the Red Sox won just one more game, Francona and Epstein would still both be in Boston. They brought two championships to a "cursed" franchise and one game is all it took for them to be booted. Absolutely unbelievable.

But as far as the Reds future manager is concerned, I feel that Walt would reach out to LaRussa and offer him whatever he wanted. Walt and Tony built that team into what it is today, and as much hatred as I've spewed towards LaRussa over the years, it was all in frustration because the dude is a winner.

Francona definitely got screwed with the whole Boston situation. They needed someone to blame for that collapse and he was the one who took the bullet. It's pretty obvious that Epstein was pissed and he bolted for Chicago and now the Sox are screwed.

If the Red Sox won just one more game, Francona and Epstein would still both be in Boston. They brought two championships to a "cursed" franchise and one game is all it took for them to be booted. Absolutely unbelievable.

But as far as the Reds future manager is concerned, I feel that Walt would reach out to LaRussa and offer him whatever he wanted. Walt and Tony built that team into what it is today, and as much hatred as I've spewed towards LaRussa over the years, it was all in frustration because the dude is a winner.

Dusty is a player's manager, Francona is a player's manager. It's easy to look at what Francona has done and be all wow'd and want him here, but you have to consider the payroll and team he was working with. Could you imagine the outrage here if we spent the Red Sox kinda money, fielded the team they had last year, and had their late season collapse? It seems like a lot of the Reds fans here on the Sun Deck would prefer a guy who ignores the player part of the equation and strictly plays everything by the numbers...regardless of if it upsets players, kills confidence, or makes him look like an ahole. There's a guy who has made a HOF career outta doing that and at the end of the day, his results speak loud and clear. He's retired though and I hate him lol.

I'm not one to put all of the blame on Dusty when things go poorly, and I don't think he deserves all of the credit when we are winning, but I do believe the FO will not have a lot of patience. Especially with the statements they've made this offseason. It's still entirely too early for this kind of talk though, we're 2-3 and have lost a couple of games to the defending World Series champions who are putting a beating on everyone they play. If we're under .500 and struggling a month into the season this kinda talk would make more sense.

Tom

I completely agree - to me, the manager of a baseball club often seems like the President of the United States; yes they are important, but they aren't responsible for every little thing that goes wrong. Dusty isn't a bad guy or even a bad manager. He just isn't the best possible option. I'd have to think that decision-making on the manager's part affects the outcome of 10-15 games each year (games that are decided by one or two runs in late innings). If we could find someone who could help us to one more victory each month (5-6 wins in the season), the results would be drastic.

That being said, I don't think it matters too much who is a "player's manager" and who isn't; I think what matters is who can get the job done year-to-year, and Dusty has not done that. I'd love to see Francona take the wheel, simply because he is a winner. The same goes for someone like Joe Torre (should he be wooed from his current spot in the Commissioner's Office...) Heck, I'd even support LaRussa (who I DESPISE.) This team is finally in a position - talent-wise - to contend every year and I would hate to see them just barely miss because of a manager.

What is leading anyone to think Bob won't have Dusty back?

Crusty is only 50/50 to even last the remainder of this season. The only way he gets extended is if the Reds at least make it to the WS.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    What is leading anyone to think Bob won't have Dusty back?
    Credible reports from last season indicated that Bob and Walt's position was that Dusty would be on a short leash this season (i.e. if the Reds start slow, he's gone).

David Bell is your next manager hopefully with Corky Miller as bench coach.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Who is "everyone"? Ownership has made it clear Dusty is their guy. They're going to extend him, Dusty is going to be here for awhile.
    yes and no

They like Dusty but if this team does not make the playoffs they will not extend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

Is that you Rusty?

Turn Off Ads?