Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects April 2012 Edition

Reds Top Prospects April 2012 Edition

It's baaaaaaaaack! The biggest question now is what to do with some of these guys (particularly the infielders) in the wake of the massive Votto and Phillips extensions. I'll offer my thoughts below and welcome yours...

GRADE A Top 25 Prospect in the game

(none)

GRADE B Top 100 prospect and major league starting caliber

1. Daniel Corcino RHP AA - the jewel of the system, he can take his time in AA this year and AAA next year. Even if he does well, no need for him in Cincy until 2014.
    2. Robert Stephenson RHP (should be A) - Would like to see him spend significant time in Dayton this year.
    3. Billy Hamilton SS A+ - I'd keep him at SS for now, but his future is likely at 2B (once BP is too old for the position) or CF
    4. Didi Gregorius SS AA - Similar to Hamilton, his future in Cincy might be in 2B once BP out-ages the position and moves to 3B or LF. Like Hamilton, I'd keep him at SS for now to preserve optionality.

GRADE C Should have some impact at the major league level eventually

5. JC Sulbaran RHP AA - Could join the "B" group if he puts it all together in Pensacola this year.
    6. Henry Rodriguez 3B AA - He should be a full-time 3B starting now. Could compete with Frazier for the starting gig in Cincy next year. Would like to see him in Louisville once Frazier gets promoted.
    7. Yorman Rodriguez OF A+ - He needs a good year to get back on the map. If he has one, he could rise up this list quickly.
    8. Tony Cingrani LHP A+ - Also a good pick to be a fast riser, as his debut in Bakersfiled couldn't have gone better. Could team with Corcino and Sulbaran for a three-headed monster in AA by the ASB.
    9. Kyle Lotzkar RHP A+ - A great candidate for a bounceback year if he can stay healthy. Talent has never been the question.
    10. Neftali Soto 1B/LF AAA - I would move him to LF immediately in Louisville, as he clearly doesn't have a future in Cincy at 1B. If he can't play OF, he will likely be dealt before next Opening Day.

ON THE RADAR (the next five)

1. Donald Lutz LF A+
    2. David Vidal 3B A+
    3. Kyle Waldrop OF A
    4. Tucker Barnhart C A+
    5. Ryan LaMarre CF AA
    (tie) Sean Buckley 1B/LF A

KEEP AN EYE ON (too early to tell)

1. Gabriel Rosa 3B
    2. Ismael Guillon LHP
    3. Amir Garrett LHP
    4. Sal Romano RHP
    5. Jonathan Perez RHP

Thoughts? What would you do with the current infielders (Soto, H-Rod, DiDi, and Hamilton) given the Votto/Phillips extensions?

*Note I no longer consider Frazier a "prospect" due to his age and time already spent with the big club. However, I do think he could compete with H-Rod for the starting 3B job as early as next year (or sooner if Rolen goes down).
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-11-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Top Prospects April 2012 Edition

Lutz is a glaring omission here, I'd say. Vidal is also a C, at least.

3rd base is fascinating at the moment. I like HRod as a sleeper there. I'm not so sure the organization is committed to Frazier as a regular 3B -- they may still prefer him as a utility guy. Because Didi has a great arm and is a natural SS, I think he may be a solution at 3B, too, if his bat develops. Give him time. HRod will be ready sooner -- but his profile as utility guy is so complete that it will be tempting for the organization to use him all over.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Lutz is a glaring omission here, I'd say. Vidal is also a C, at least.

3rd base is fascinating at the moment. I like HRod as a sleeper there. I'm not so sure the organization is committed to Frazier as a regular 3B -- they may still prefer him as a utility guy. Because Didi has a great arm and is a natural SS, I think he may be a solution at 3B, too, if his bat develops. Give him time. HRod will be ready sooner -- but his profile as utility guy is so complete that it will be tempting for the organization to use him all over.
    Lutz, Vidal, Waldrop, Barnhart, and either Buckley or LaMarre make up my five who just missed the cut (probably in that order). Additionally some of the bullpen guys like Hoover, Joseph, McMyne, Judy and Brackman (although he's starting now) could also find their way into the top 10 with a strong start to the season.

Agree that DiDi could also be a candidate at 3B, but I think H-Rod makes more sense to shift over there immediately. Similar to Soto, I would shift Lutz and Buckley to LF immediately.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-11-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Agree that DiDi could also be a candidate at 3B, but I think H-Rod makes more sense to shift over there immediately. Similar to Soto, I would shift Lutz to LF immediately.
    The other thing is that Vidal seems to have really impressed the organization this offseason/spring. He could be considered by some to have the inside track as the long-term heir apparent to Rolen.

Agree re: Lutz in left. They're playing him there in Bakersfield -- glad to see that.

Pretty fair, I'd say. I don't think there's much doubt, though, that Hoover is a Grade C, according to the definition. And in my estimation--again, by the definition--Lutz is well ahead of Yorman. I might also consider Barnhart a Grade C, due to his defense.

I think that Soto is knocking on the door of the B level.

It appears that you're restricting the list to 10 guys, right? Seems to me that, if you're defining the categories, you may as well include whoever fits that definition. That would likely put you over 10, but not by too much.

The other thing is that Vidal seems to have really impressed the organization this offseason/spring. He could be considered by some to have the inside track as the long-term heir apparent to Rolen.

Agree re: Lutz in left. They're playing him there in Bakersfield -- glad to see that.
    Interesting. So the way I see it, for the next 4 years we are arguably set at every position except for 3B and LF (you can also make a decent argument for CF). Let's look at the organizational depth, at least the way they'd do it if I were in charge:

Third Base
    Frazier AAA
    Rodriguez AA
    Vidal A+
    Arias A
    Rosa Rookie

Left Field
    Soto AAA
    Puckett AA
    Lutz A+
    Buckley/Duran? A

Center Field
    Perez AAA
    LaMarre AA
    Y.Rodriguez A+
    Waldrop A

With Gregorius and Hamilton being the wildcards that could end up at 2B, SS, 3B, or CF (in Hamilton's case)

More than likely all of this will be moot as Walt can trade a handful of these guys for a 3B or LF, but it is interesting to map it all out as it stands now. Glad to see the organization agrees re: moving Lutz to LF, hopefully they follow suit with Soto and Buckley, and Rodriguez to 3B.

Also, I wouldn't rule out the Reds drafting a fast moving bopper at 3B or LF in the upcoming draft. Certainly not what you want to bank on, but with three picks before the second round begins, I wouldn't discard the possibility.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-11-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Hi. Do you see any of these players in person or is grading assigned purely based on what you read and hear? Just curious. Thanks....

Center Field
    Perez AAA
    LaMarre AA
    Y.Rodriguez A+
    Waldrop A
    They've been playing Phipps in CF in Louisville, which I like to see. IMO, he may be capable of pushing Stubbs. Neither guy is doing much out of the chute, but this is one to watch this year. Phipps has some talent.

Neftali Soto's not made a start yet in LF for the Bats. Is there any chance he can play LF or is this just a Redszone dream?

Neftali Soto's not made a start yet in LF for the Bats. Is there any chance he can play LF or is this just a Redszone dream?
    I'd say it's unlikely at this point. but if he really breaks out with the bat this year things could change.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I think it's a Redszone dream. He's spent most of his career around the infield, from SS to 3B to 1B. If anywhere, he could get another try at 3rd.

I love the idea of Henry Rodriguez at third base.

He's a switch hitter, correct? Would love the lefty bat at third for the Reds some day.

Also, Reds need as many candidates to succeed Rolen as possible. Frazier is not a given. Obviously the team is unlikely to have money for an expensive acquisition.

They've been playing Phipps in CF in Louisville, which I like to see. IMO, he may be capable of pushing Stubbs. Neither guy is doing much out of the chute, but this is one to watch this year. Phipps has some talent.
    Good, I like Phipps in CF better than Perez.
    Go BLUE!!!

Mostly agree, lots of adds to the keep an eye on list, my top choices:

Juan Perez SS A
    Brodie Green 2B AA
    Ryan Wright 2B A
    Denis Phipps OF AAA
    Tim Crabbe RHP AA
    Clayton Tanner LHP AA
    Donnie Joseph LHP AA
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'm surprised to see people saying that Didi won't stick at SS. I thought he was a defensive stud?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?