Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Minor League Transactions

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2012 Minor League Transactions

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If he could play SS, Pierre's numbers would rank among the top five SS in the game.
    This year, yes. Offense is down compared to the past and he is having his best year since 2009 and his second best year since 2004.

But even if we weren't just talking about this year, Pierre at shortstop is a whole lot less exciting that some people seem to think Billy Hamilton will be. And they might be right in terms of excitement. Excitement doesn't mean production though.

With that said, Pierre and Hamilton aren't comparable players, though they may wind up with comparable type numbers. Pierre has less power and goes about his other offensive production in a much different way than Hamilton does, at least right now. Pierre simply never swings and misses, where as Hamilton does. He is getting better, but he would have to still cut his strikeout rate in half to make as much contact as Pierre does. Clearly Hamilton has a much higher offensive ceiling than Pierre does, but most guys don't reach their ceilings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Everybody hugging and shaking hands with Daniel in Pensacola after todays game. He has either been promoted or traded.

Tony was also told something is happening.....
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Everybody hugging and shaking hands with Daniel in Pensacola after todays game. He has either been promoted or traded.

That's a little unnerving. I mean, both of them? Hmm.

Man, if both Cingrani and Corcino go, the Reds absolutely need to get a difference-maker back. That's some serious pitching firepower leaving the organization.

I'll bet they are getting bumped up to AAA. I'd be shocked if either get traded before the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I'll bet they are getting bumped up to AAA. I'd be shocked if either get traded before the deadline.
    I doubt Cingrani would be getting promoted after his worst performance as a pro.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post

More than 12 hours later, wouldn't we have heard something about this by now?

Especially in this day of the Twitterverse...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    More than 12 hours later, wouldn't we have heard something about this by now?

Especially in this day of the Twitterverse...
    Agree. I think the moves that make the most sense to me are as follows:

1. Trade a BP arm, Ondrusek or Arredondo, for Pierre. Replace the traded arm with Hoover.

2. Promote Corcino and Cingrani to AAA. That expands the pool of starting pitcher replacement options.

Pierre is inexpensive, can provide a LH top of the order bat against tough RHP's, can pinch hit and even pinch run. For that role, he is a good fit and will not cost either money or prized prospects.

The Bullpen will not miss a beat and may even be better.

It is unlikely that the Reds will be fortunate enough not to lose one of the starters for some length of time. The innings are piling up. I don't believe Chapman could step in after spending the year in the pen. Besides, he has become too valuable in his current role. Thus, they really need AAA starting pitching depth, which is thin at the moment. Among Corcino, Cingrani, Redmond, and Villareal, someone will emerge as a viable replacement option or at least an occasional September start to provide the current staff with some rest.

Both of them got on the bus to Tennessee this morning.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post

1. Trade a BP arm, Ondrusek or Arredondo, for Pierre. Replace the traded arm with Hoover.

2. Promote Corcino and Cingrani to AAA. That expands the pool of starting pitcher replacement options.

Pierre is inexpensive, can provide a LH top of the order bat against tough RHP's, can pinch hit and even pinch run. For that role, he is a good fit and will not cost either money or prized prospects.

It is unlikely that the Reds will be fortunate enough not to lose one of the starters for some length of time. The innings are piling up. I don't believe Chapman could step in after spending the year in the pen. Besides, he has become too valuable in his current role. Thus, they really need AAA starting pitching depth, which is thin at the moment. Among Corcino, Cingrani, Redmond, and Villareal, someone will emerge as a viable replacement option or at least an occasional September start to provide the current staff with some rest.
    Very reasonable suggestions. Good post. Only issue is CF, but Stubbs is doing better, and maybe Pierre can play a few times out there against real tough righties.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post

#1 may make sense, but I doubt it's happening. We just turned down a very similar deal for Shane Victorino, who I believe most would consider a bigger upgrade than Pierre. Corcino to AAA seems like a very reasonable suggestion (though his peripherals have fallen off), but I feel that Cingrani needs more time in AA to hone his secondary stuff with Tom Brown. The biggest thing limiting Cingrani's trade value right now is the perception that he's a reliever in the MLB, and convincing scouts otherwise is what will make him a top prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    #1 may make sense, but I doubt it's happening. We just turned down a very similar deal for Shane Victorino, who I believe most would consider a bigger upgrade than Pierre. Corcino to AAA seems like a very reasonable suggestion (though his peripherals have fallen off), but I feel that Cingrani needs more time in AA to hone his secondary stuff with Tom Brown. The biggest thing limiting Cingrani's trade value right now is the perception that he's a reliever in the MLB, and convincing scouts otherwise is what will make him a top prospect.
    Buster Olney indicates that the Reds are zeroing in on Juan Pierre. Of all the idle speculation that is being bandied about, that one seems to be the easiest to do. I am not sure I believe the previous report that the Reds turned down Victorino for Ondrusek. Olney seems to believe that the Phillies would want also want in return someone who can play CF. That may have been a deal breaker for the Reds. Pierre would not require a ML proven replacement.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/82...ine-approaches

Nick Masset was assigned to the AZL for his rehab assignment. The big rumor is that the Reds traded J.C. Sulbaran for Jonathan Broxton.

Julio Morillo--who has struggled mightily in Arizona this year--was sent up to Billings. Richard McCaffrey made an appearance in Billings and was sent back to the AZL Reds. Josh Ravin was activated from the Blue Wahoos' disabled list a few days ago. Todd Redmond was promoted to the Reds after Bill Bray returned to the disabled list. The Reds' only deadline deal was trading Donnie Joseph and J.C. Sulbaran for Jonathan Broxton. Oh, and of course Andrew Brackman was designated for assignment. I'd imagine he'll clear waivers and report back to Bakersfield.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 08-01-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Nick Masset will pitch in Dayton on Thursday as part of his rehab assignment

Turn Off Ads?