Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frazier > Cairo

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Frazier > Cairo

The front office is obviously being aggressive and trying to win. So, eating the $1 million owed to Cairo this season should be no biggie. Todd Frazier should NOT be in Triple-A right now. Especially with a starting third baseman like Rolen that needs a day off every third game, the Reds need a good backup 3B. It should be Frazier, not Cairo. It shouldn't even be a legit debate IMO.

To be clear, Miguel Cairo is a solid ballplayer. But Frazier is better. That's what this is about. Do we want Cairo starting every third game, or Frazier? Exactly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Frazier > Cairo

As a Red, Cairo has an OPS+ of 100. On top of that, he can play all the positions that Todd Frazier can. Frazier, however, has struggled mightily so far for Louisville. If I'm getting rid of someone to call up Frazier, it would be Willie Harris. Seeing as how BP is banged up, I don't see it happening right now.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    As a Red, Cairo has an OPS+ of 100. On top of that, he can play all the positions that Todd Frazier can. Frazier, however, has struggled mightily so far for Louisville. If I'm getting rid of someone to call up Frazier, it would be Willie Harris. Seeing as how BP is banged up, I don't see it happening right now.
    Cairo was aided by a very-favorable BABIP during his first 2 years with the Reds. His career numbers do not reflect such high production. So, either it was an aberration, or Cairo suddenly figured things out at the age of 35.

He's now 37. Frazier is the Reds' 3B of the future, played well in AAA last year, played well with the Reds last year and played well this spring. I'm not worried about his first 2-3 games at Louisville, especially after his heart was ripped out of his chest after he thought he had made the Opening Day roster.

2012 Frazier > 2012 Cairo. I have no doubt about that. We'll check back in a few months to see where things stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Cairo was aided by a very-favorable BABIP during his first 2 years with the Reds. His career numbers do not reflect such high production. So, either it was an aberration, or Cairo suddenly figured things out at the age of 35.

He's now 37. Frazier is the Reds' 3B of the future, played well in AAA last year, played well with the Reds last year and played well this spring. I'm not worried about his first 2-3 games at Louisville, especially after his heart was ripped out of his chest after he thought he had made the Opening Day roster.

2012 Frazier > 2012 Cairo. I have no doubt about that. We'll check back in a few months to see where things stand.
    Personally, I don't have any faith in Cairo continuing to produce on the field. I don't care one way or the other whether he's released or not, but I feel like it's relevant to note that he's a bench player who is most known for his intangibles (leadership, figuring out when pitchers are tipping their pitches, etc.).

Let me ask you this: 2012 Cairo > 2012 Harris?

Frazier>Cairo>Harris That's the food chain IMO
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Harris is going to stick simply because he's the only left-handed bat on the bench.

But yes, I agree that overall, Cairo > Harris.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm not sure what, if anything, Willie Harris offers.

It seems every year we have one of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm not sure what, if anything, Willie Harris offers.

It seems every year we have one of these guys.
    He's a left-handed stick that can play multiple positions. That's about it. He's VERY fortunate the Reds have such a lack of left-handed batters (Votto, Bruce and that's it, other than WH).

I have no doubt Walt will deal for a serviceable left-handed bat if the Reds are still in the race come late June or anytime during July.

At some point, being left handed ain't enough. It seems foolish for the organization to roster someone just for his lefthandedness. If Frazier hits righties better than Willie, then I don't care if Willie has two left hands!
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Todd Frazier hit .195 with a .654 OPS against righties in the majors last year. (He was effective against LHP.)

He may have a role on the Reds, but he is not the guy to come off the bench to hit right handed pitching in a key spot.

Cairo has been a real good backup player for a long time and I wouldn't give him up just because of a slow start. Frankly, both he and Rolen have me a little worried right now, but they have a track record, they deserve some time.

The Harris role - lefty hitter off the bench -- should be improved IMO. That new lefty bat will have to come from outside the organization. It's not the role for Frazier, and I don't see another candidate now that Alonso and Francisco are both traded. And it is ridiculous IMO to have zero lefty hitters on the bench, the Reds will need somebody if not Harris.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-11-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    He's a left-handed stick that can play multiple positions. That's about it. He's VERY fortunate the Reds have such a lack of left-handed batters (Votto, Bruce and that's it, other than WH).

I have no doubt Walt will deal for a serviceable left-handed bat if the Reds are still in the race come late June or anytime during July.
    Blitz, I don't see why Walt has to wait until late June to get a lefty bat for the bench. We're not talking about the CC Sabathia deadline acquisition here. We're talking, maybe, Laynce Nix or somebody else who can hit righties reasonably well.

I think the Reds need a number of additional lefty hitters eventually. I don't like the current lefty/righty mix.

But to get a bench guy to unseat Harris shouldn't be a big deal. Walt should address that pretty quickly IMO.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I agree. The bench mix is definitely too right-handed, but when looking at them not just as pinch-hitters but potential injury replacements, I don't think we're going to find scrap-heap guys better than what we have -- except for Harris. Left-handed pinch-hitter is nearly an everyday job in the NL, and since the other bench guys can cover all the positions, that's pretty much all Harris will do. When or if Jocketty can scrounge a better lefty hitter, he likely will.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I'll keep Cairo in his super-sub role. But how about Frazier > Rolen? Won't happen, but I am convinced Rolen is toast. Such a shell of his former self.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

A lefty bat for the bench. Danny Dorn?

He's somebody who's ripped up righties, and he's not such a valuable minor leaguer that I mind putting him to sleep a bit on the bench. He's GOT to be better than Harris.

I like Todd Frazier, but the backup QB is always the most popular player. Cairo has been a very solid bench guy in his time with the Reds, putting up 2.9 WAR over 500 PA. Hard to find fault with that. I want Frazier on this team, but I'm not sure replacing Cairo with him makes us any better.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-12-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?