Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Lee Trade to Reds?

Carlos Lee Trade to Reds?

Any chance the Reds make a trade for Carlos Lee? I know he is way over paid and Houston would like to deal him. I'm sure they would even eat some of the cost. He is playing well right now and in the best shape he has been in for the last 5 or 6 years. He could be a big boost to our club with his bat. A true clean up hitter capable of batting .300 with 30 jacks and 85 RBI. A RH power hitter that can play average LF and hit between Votto and Bruce.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by S.Wells; 04-11-2012 at 11:09 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carlos Lee

I'd be surprised, the only addition I could really see us trying to make is Oswalt. Never know though, our FO has been surprising lately.

Stubbs for Lee a win win for both clubs.

You think the Astros would pay a large chunk of Lee's contract, give him to us and call it a good deal for Stubbs?

Oh and he's 35 and like 275. That's a big load to move around in LF.

Not much ground to cover in our park. A lot better than Yonder, which they tried last year. And he is down to about 260 pounds. FO wants to win I'm just saying. Our line up would look a lot better with him in it. He's hitting better than 7 of our everyday players so far this season.

Yes they want young raw talent and Stubbs has it. Maybe not a large chunk of his contract but some.

Potential line up if the Reds made this trade.

1. Phillips 2b
    2. Cozart SS
    3. Votto 1b
    4. Lee LF
    5. Bruce RF
    6. Ludwick CF
    7. Rolen 3b
    8. Mesaraco C

I would be more worried about Ludwick in center in that scenerio than Lee in left.

Ludwick and Heisey can both play center. Don't forget Ludwick win a Gold Glove in 2008.

Re: Carlos Lee Trade to Reds?

All in, Walt please I'm begging you pull the trigger on this!

Tom

I see what you're getting at, but I don't think it wise to give up on Stubbs just yet.

It's really easy to be frustrated by the strikeouts and low average at the plate. Yet it's equally easy to forget that he is an absolute force on defense. He can track down any ball in center, has great instincts, has a strong arm, has an accurate arm, and can offer great power for someone hitting in the 7 or 8 spot. I don't see any upside to throwing away someone who could win Gold Gloves and hit 20+ home runs for the next 5-7 years with 40-50 stolen bases. The guy's a gem at the 7 or 8 spot. Lee's only good for another season or two anyway. I think a swap with the Astros would be short-sighted and rash...

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

They need LH bats in the lineup, not another RH bat.

When the Westbrooks and Lohses of the world shut you down cold, you know you've got a major problem.

It was a major problem last year, and not only didn't Jocketty remedy it, he actually made matters worse by trading Alonso, Grandal, and Francisco, and releasing Lewis and Hermidia.

Now that Phillips is signed through 2017, Gregorius (a LHH) has no position if they don't move Cozart. And Hamilton (a SH) has to be moved to the OF, presumably CF.

Those guys are a couple years away. In the mean-time, Walt has to do something to fix this problem. This team does not make the playoffs as it is currently constructed, IMO.

Oh. And Seth Smith would have looked good in red.

It's (past) time to trade for a starting LH-hitting OF, and a LH-hitting IF or OF bench guy to replace Harris.
    Last edited by malcontent; 04-11-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Tom

A much better route, in my opinion, would be to make a splash in the free agent market in the next year or two. Upcoming free agents include:

LF:
    Michael Bourn
    Melky Cabrera
    Andre Ethier
    Josh Hamilton
    Carlos Lee
    Carlos Quentin
    Luke Scott
    Ichiro Suzuki
    B.J. Upton
    Delmon Young

There are some great guys that are going to be available and the organization has shown that they are willing to pay more for success.

Tom

AHHH!

I'm making myself dizzy just thinking about how wonderful it would be to sign Michael Bourn... Stubbs' speed, LHH, defensive stopper. They would have so many options:

Lock down Bruce in RF, stick Bourn in Center every night, maybe sign someone like Andre Ethier to sit in left and hit well every night. There's so much potential.

Turn Off Ads?