Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    311

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Lol the responses here are quite funny.

    The Cardinals are 5-2, all of those game on the road no less against good teams (Marlins, Brewers, Reds) and our homer opener isn't until tomorrow! We had played 6 days in a row there (7 in 8 days)

    We need to give Beltran some time off so his knee doesn't act up. Berkman isn't really an injury concern beyond the fact that he is just getting old which requires it's own extra days off and Freese has had bad luck with stupid injuries himself.

    So the Cardinals go 5-1 on the road and Matheny decides to get them two days off before the home opener because obviously they are going to have the A squad on opening day and probably want to play it for that whole series since it's against the Cubs, we have the TOR coming up, and a good chance of sweeping them.

    I'm shocked that no one here could see the logic in this.
    *11xWSChamps

    2011 World Series Champs... GO CARDS!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    487

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by 10xWSChamps View Post
    Lol the responses here are quite funny.

    The Cardinals are 5-2, all of those game on the road no less against good teams (Marlins, Brewers, Reds) and our homer opener isn't until tomorrow! We had played 6 days in a row there (7 in 8 days)

    We need to give Beltran some time off so his knee doesn't act up. Berkman isn't really an injury concern beyond the fact that he is just getting old which requires it's own extra days off and Freese has had bad luck with stupid injuries himself.

    So the Cardinals go 5-1 on the road and Matheny decides to get them two days off before the home opener because obviously they are going to have the A squad on opening day and probably want to play it for that whole series since it's against the Cubs, we have the TOR coming up, and a good chance of sweeping them.

    I'm shocked that no one here could see the logic in this.
    Illogical nitpicking and total over-analysis over managerial moves is a common thing here. You'll get used to it then ignore it like the rest of us.

  4. #18
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    Illogical nitpicking and total over-analysis over managerial moves is a common thing here. You'll get used to it then ignore it like the rest of us.
    Sitting 3 of your top 4 hitters is always illogical unless all 3 are dinged up or you have clinched home field throughout the playoffs.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    584

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    Illogical nitpicking and total over-analysis over managerial moves is a common thing here. You'll get used to it then ignore it like the rest of us.
    I agree with your premise, but that does not mean that every criticism of managerial moves is illogical. Let's put aside for one moment resting your 2,4 and 5 hitters on the same day when you have an off day the next day and an off day on Monday and are going for a sweep against one of your divisional rivals.In the ninth inning, how do you walk Ludwick who is hitting below .100 to get to Bruce. It seemed he walked him because of the left right matchup. Ludwick hits rhp better than lhp. Then he did the exact same thing with Heisey. He took out a lhp to bring in a rhp despite the fact Heisey is far worse against lhp. Marty even said during the broadcast right when they made the pitching change "maybe Matheny didn't get the memo that Heisey hits righties better than lefties." Lance mccalister tweeted heisey's career splits after the pitching move, so it's not just a few fans on this board nitpicking. Matheny may be a very good manager, but on this day his decisions simply ignored the stats that he had to have in front of him. Please explain what exactly is illogical about this criticism.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    387

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Sitting 3 of your top 4 hitters is always illogical unless all 3 are dinged up or you have clinched home field throughout the playoffs.
    Berkman has a strained calf and was unavailable.

    Beltran has played 81 or fewer games 2 of the last 3 years and his knees are bad enough that he had to be moved to RF.

    Freese has played 17, 70 and 97 games the last 3 years and has had major surgery on both ankles including reconstructive surgery on one. He's a 29 year old on 40 year old legs.

    Early in the year, day game after night game with an off day ahead seems like a good time to give oft injured players an extra day.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    387

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    I agree with your premise, but that does not mean that every criticism of managerial moves is illogical. Let's put aside for one moment resting your 2,4 and 5 hitters on the same day when you have an off day the next day and an off day on Monday and are going for a sweep against one of your divisional rivals.In the ninth inning, how do you walk Ludwick who is hitting below .100 to get to Bruce. It seemed he walked him because of the left right matchup. Ludwick hits rhp better than lhp. Then he did the exact same thing with Heisey. He took out a lhp to bring in a rhp despite the fact Heisey is far worse against lhp. Marty even said during the broadcast right when they made the pitching change "maybe Matheny didn't get the memo that Heisey hits righties better than lefties." Lance mccalister tweeted heisey's career splits after the pitching move, so it's not just a few fans on this board nitpicking. Matheny may be a very good manager, but on this day his decisions simply ignored the stats that he had to have in front of him. Please explain what exactly is illogical about this criticism.
    Heisey doesn't have nearly enough PA (less than one full seasons worth for a starter) for his reverse platoon to mean anything and hit LHP better than RHP throughout his time in the minors.

    I would have seen what Ludwick was doing before making a decision. If he's bunting, let him because he's not good at it and might get himself out without advancing the runner. If he gets it down, put Bruce and Heisey on to pitch to Valdez, but I understand not wanting the winning run on 3rd base.

    If Ludwick isn't bunting, I'd probably have done what Matheny did.

  8. #22
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Yup...to tell you the truth, Rolen and Ludwick are both worthless right now in the clutch, but Baker must be the only person in Ohio that can't see that.

    Bruce should be batting 4th, PERIOD. Stop the madness!
    Well, was Matheny managing from St. Louis? Because he didn't see it either, hence the IBB.

  9. #23
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Sitting 3 of your top 4 hitters is always illogical unless all 3 are dinged up or you have clinched home field throughout the playoffs.
    It must be illogical to think about the end of the season now, than say.......the end of the season!!!! The logic behind some peoples thoughts are crazy. If you have some old guys, why not rest them!!!

  10. #24
    Member Magdal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tn.
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    It must be illogical to think about the end of the season now, than say.......the end of the season!!!! The logic behind some peoples thoughts are crazy. If you have some old guys, why not rest them!!!
    Old guys? What are they playing? Ice hockey? Football? It's baseball in nice cool weather. And that bull of resting players early so they will be "fresh" in Sept. is beyond imbesillic.

    MM has never managed at any professional level and is a classic example of good 'ol boy hiring.

  11. #25
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Old guys? What are they playing? Ice hockey? Football? It's baseball in nice cool weather. And that bull of resting players early so they will be "fresh" in Sept. is beyond imbesillic.

    MM has never managed at any professional level and is a classic example of good 'ol boy hiring.
    Yes, old guys!!!! how is it beyond imbesillic to rest players early to try to keep them "fresh" or injury free.....please explain your logic!!!!

    So Joe Torre, Don Mattingly, Lou Piniella, Cito Gaston, & Joe Girardi just to name a few, all guys who had no minor league experience, must have been good 'ol boy hirings also and can't/couldn't manage.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    218

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Your thoughts on these quotes after the 9-5 drubbing from the Cubs yesterday...

    Reporter: "Do you think the weather had anything to do with Wainwrights delivery?"

    Matheny: "No. We're not even going to go there. We're never going to make that excuse. He didn't have his good stuff today and he knows that."

    Later in post game interviews with Wainwiright...

    Reporter: "Would you say the weather had an impact on you today?"

    Waino: "No. I'm not going there. I didn't have it today."

  13. #27
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by cw0802 View Post
    Your thoughts on these quotes after the 9-5 drubbing from the Cubs yesterday...

    Reporter: "Do you think the weather had anything to do with Wainwrights delivery?"

    Matheny: "No. We're not even going to go there. We're never going to make that excuse. He didn't have his good stuff today and he knows that."

    Later in post game interviews with Wainwiright...

    Reporter: "Would you say the weather had an impact on you today?"

    Waino: "No. I'm not going there. I didn't have it today."
    I think it's what should have been said, if he is healthy enough to be on the mound, then weather shouldn't be an excuse. Even if it was an excuse, I don't think you say that to the press, just keep it in house.

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    My observations are that he's 5-3 after 8 games as STL Cardinals manager. I'm not sure you can give a positive or negative critique of this guy yet after 8 games.

  15. #29
    Member Magdal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tn.
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    My observations are that he's 5-3 after 8 games as STL Cardinals manager. I'm not sure you can give a positive or negative critique of this guy yet after 8 games.
    At what number game is it OK to start grading him?

    Like a student, he's being graded after every paper he turns in, and will be given a final grade when the semester is over.

    Right now he's flirting with an "F"

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Thoughts on Mike Matheny

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    At what number game is it OK to start grading him?

    Like a student, he's being graded after every paper he turns in, and will be given a final grade when the semester is over.

    Right now he's flirting with an "F"
    That's probably because he's an STL manager and most Reds fans have blind hatred for anything in STL. I think the All-Star break is a good evaluation period.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25