Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey vs. Latos

Bailey vs. Latos

Bailey:

"I just got a little passive with two outs," Bailey said. "I didn't stay aggressive. Once you open that can, it's kind of hard to shut sometimes. The wind blowing out like that, small park -- it's going to happen. After the first, I just tried to get as deep into the game as I could."

Latos:

"I was trying to be too fine," Latos said. "New ballclub, new scenery. I was just trying to do too much. I wanted the first impression to be good. [Johnny] Cueto threw a gem the other day. I was trying to be too perfect. It backfired and went the opposite way."

In my opinion, the quote of Bailey's just sums him up in a nutshell. There always seems to be some excuse with why an outing didn't go quite as well as it should (could) have. Meanwhile, Latos comes over here to an entirely different new situation, and his only excuse is that he was trying to be too perfect for his debut. He was so visibly distraught post-game, and you could really tell that he was disappointed in himself. To me, this speaks volumes, and shows that Latos will always be trying to better himself while Bailey still thinks he might be "the one" that comes with being so highly touted all these years. Maybe my thoughts are completely unfounded, but I just do not get the sense from Bailey that he's all that upset when he has a poor outing.

But hey, the wind was blowing, and that's going to happen.

-Matt
    Last edited by mattfeet; 04-10-2012 at 09:19 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey vs. Latos

"I just got a little passive with two outs," Bailey said. "I didn't stay aggressive. Once you open that can, it's kind of hard to shut sometimes. The wind blowing out like that, small park -- it's going to happen. After the first, I just tried to get as deep into the game as I could."

Latos:

"I was trying to be too fine," Latos said. "New ballclub, new scenery. I was just trying to do too much. I wanted the first impression to be good. [Johnny] Cueto threw a gem the other day. I was trying to be too perfect. It backfired and went the opposite way."

You can also highlight different parts of the quotes and flip the entire thesis around. IMO, you're reading too much into words said to the media. Bailey fully admitted things he did wrong. The wind and the park were not used as excuses anymore than any excuses that Latos mentioned (new park, etc.).

I like Latos more because he's better at baseball.

Maybe that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post

Latos:

You can also highlight different parts of the quotes and flip the entire thesis around. IMO, you're reading too much into words said to the media. Bailey fully admitted things he did wrong. The wind and the park were not used as excuses anymore than any excuses that Latos mentioned (new park, etc.).
    I see your point, and Bailey still might blossom into a very good SP, but I just think the biggest issue is between his ears.

-Matt

What about Leake vs Bailey? Leake will get praised for his outing tonight, while Homer was vilified for his outing. All I know is the only real good outing turned in thus far is by Mr Cueto... This thread (reading into media quotes) and others are enormous overreactions at this point. The offense has struggled for two games, maybe we need another Jay Bruce hitting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I see your point, and Bailey still might blossom into a very good SP, but I just think the biggest issue is between his ears.

-Matt
    Not trying to be controversial at all, but I have read many times that Latos is a headcase. You get guys out you're a competitor... You struggle you're a hot head. Just depends on who is doing to writing/talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    What about Leake vs Bailey? Leake will get praised for his outing tonight, while Homer was vilified for his outing. All I know is the only real good outing turned in thus far is by Mr Cueto... This thread (reading into media quotes) and others are enormous overreactions at this point. The offense has struggled for two games, maybe we need another Jay Bruce hitting thread.
    It's not an overreaction on this season. Bailey has showed glimpses of brilliance but just can't put everything together. I PERSONALLY just feel that Bailey doesn't have the mental fortitude to become who he COULD be.

I understand your feelings and respect your opinion... He may not turn out as a pitcher in the big leagues, but I'm PERSONALLY don't believe it's in his head. He's still young in years and in big league time, not a baby, but he's still young. I guess my opinion just differs on what you can read into a quote to the media, that may have had some context leading up to your highlighted point.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post

Latos:

I don't see Latos making excuses in his quote the same way that Bailey did. The New ballpark, new scenery was a reason why Latos was trying too hard, which was his one excuse for failing in his start, he was teyimg ro I press a new club. Bailey was blaming the size of the ballpark and the weather. Big difference, imo.

But the biggest difference is that we have heard these excuses time and time again from Bailey. Maybe we will keep hearing them from Latos, but I'm getting tired of the same excuses from Bailey.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I PERSONALLY just feel that Bailey doesn't have the mental fortitude to become who he COULD be.
    I think we can all agree that Homer needs to improve when adversity strikes, but I'm not so sure it's just his mental fortitude that holds him back. His stuff isn't that good. His fastball is flat as a pancake and it's not so fast anymore. His other pitches are ok, but they're nothing special. He doesn't have the best control. He's an average pitcher with a lot of question marks.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't see Latos making excuses in his quote the same way that Bailey did. The New ballpark, new scenery was a reason why Latos was trying too hard, which was his one excuse for failing in his start, he was teyimg ro I press a new club. Bailey was blaming the size of the ballpark and the weather. Big difference, imo.

But the biggest difference is that we have heard these excuses time and time again from Bailey. Maybe we will keep hearing them from Latos, but I'm getting tired of the same excuses from Bailey.
    You said it better than I was trying to.

If you are a good pitcher you recognize it is a small park with the wind blowing out and adjust. Wind or no wind, he didn't get the job done. Yet, he didn't admit to not getting the job done...the quotes are somewhat alarming in my opinion.

The "it's going to happen" part should be referring to a guy getting out in front of a changeup, lunging and popping one that carries into the first row. The three home runs he game up were bad pitchers that were hit square, maybe they would not have gone out everywhere, but they were hit squarely nonetheless.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Latos is more Thug Life than Bailey.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I think we can all agree that Homer needs to improve when adversity strikes, but I'm not so sure it's just his mental fortitude that holds him back. His stuff isn't that good. His fastball is flat as a pancake and it's not so fast anymore. His other pitches are ok, but they're nothing special. He doesn't have the best control. He's an average pitcher with a lot of question marks.
    He gave up 4 runs on 3 HR in the first inning then managed to give the team 4 2/3 solid innings.5 2/3 innings with 4 runs allowed is nothing to brag about but adversity struck and Bailey was able to get his act together.

Can somebody just buy Bailey a black hat so we can move on?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?