Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three catchers?

Three catchers?

No, this isn't about Javy coming back.

I think most of us know that the 25th man on the team right now is only here because they're left handed (Harris, Costanzo). Until Rolen gets back (or even after, although it'd be hard to see who they'd get rid of), what about bringing up Navarro as your 25th man. He can be your lefty off the bench (actually a switch hitter) and what actually makes him useful is it opens up Hanigan or Mesoraco to PH on their days off.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Three catchers?

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post

I think most of us know that the 25th man on the team right now is only here because they're left handed (Harris, Costanzo). Until Rolen gets back (or even after, although it'd be hard to see who they'd get rid of), what about bringing up Navarro as your 25th man. He can be your lefty off the bench (actually a switch hitter) and what actually makes him useful is it opens up Hanigan or Mesoraco to PH on their days off.
    I wouldn't mess with chemistry. But not a bad idea. Many reports indicated Navarro isn't much a team player or hard worker in the past.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Did Jerry Narron just intentionally walk Albert Pujols and put the winning run on 3rd with 1 out? Flashbacks

NL Central champs

Serious question...Why can't your backup catcher PH? I have always heard it as a general rule, but I don't understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    Serious question...Why can't your backup catcher PH? I have always heard it as a general rule, but I don't understand why.
    He can, but most managers are reluctant to use their backup catcher as a pinch-hitter because if the regular catcher then gets injured later in the game, then there is no catcher on the bench. Clubs that carry three catchers don't have that concern--Javier Valentin was one of the Reds' top pinch-hitters 4-6 years ago. However, it is difficult and cumbersome with today's 12-man pitching staffs (and five-man benches) to carry two backup catchers, especially if they can't play any other positions well.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post

The only problem with that is he's out of options. So once you call him up, he has to stay up unless you want to risk losing him again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I'd do it and put Mes in LF twice each week. Mesoraco and Hanigan are two of the team's top 5 or 6 players, get 'em both in the line-up more often. I'd deal Ludwick to the Red Sox to make room (for Salary relief and maybe as a down payment on a future deal for Youk) and keep Costanzo around until another LH bat can be found.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The first thought that came to mind was Wilkin Castillo, but after seeing his stat line, I think it's best to pass for now.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=castil001wil

After chewing on this I think its an out of the box good idea. Put Devin in Left from time to time gradually getting him used to it, PH him, use Dioner as backup catcher and maybe be able to get Devin's bat in the lineup most of the time as well as having Ryan available to PH when he's not catching. As to Dioner's attitudonal problems, getting cut and losing your "star" can change a young man's attitude a lot! I would listen to what Bell has to say about him and not what was said in the past.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

If you thought Alonso was an adventure in LF, throw Mesoraco out there and enjoy the show.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I prefer not to go to Mes and say "we have decided you should play LF once in awhile" until he has, you know, actually learned to play the position first.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I prefer not to go to Mes and say "we have decided you should play LF once in awhile" until he has, you know, actually learned to play the position first.
    We're talking about LF. These guys have been fielding fly balls their entire lives. He'll catch the easy ones and there aren't enough others to be a huge problem. The rest of the defense is pretty awesome and I'd doubt that having a poor LF would snowball on them that way it did when Dunn played and EdE, Griffey, Keppinger and the rest of the butchers compounded the problem. The team should get its 3rd best bat in the line-up as much as possible. 3 PAs and then out for a defensive replacement.

Yogi Berra payed 10 games in the OF in the minor leagues before the Yankees put him there to get their best guys out there as a rookie. Gary Carter never played a game in the OF as a minor leaguer, but payed 92 out there as a rookie so the team could have its best player out there.

I just think Mes and Hanigan are both far superior baseball players to guys like Stubbs, Heisey and Ludwick. I'd get them in the line-up as much as possible. If he's so horrid, they can just stop. Right now, they really don't have good options. The best players should play. Mes and Hanigan are two of the 5 best position players on the roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I agree with mth. You let Mes try and if he's really horrible you don't continue. I am willing to bet he's athletic enough and has shagged flies enough to be able to play LF as well or better than Dunn right now and improve as he plays. Plus his bat is in the lineup regularly. Add to that you can let Hanigan play catcher a bit more this year and keep his OBP in the lineup which, even with his lack of power, the Reds are so deficient in that he's a big asset in the lineup. Navarro would be a more than adequate backup and if the experiment works out you might be able to dangle either Heisey or Ludwick as part of deal (with a pitcher(s) and/or prospects(s)) maybe for a temporary solution at third like Youk.

dp, sorry.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 05-25-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: double post

The Reds won the division with Jonny Gomes in LF. Can't see the harm in letting Mes play there a few games. At the very least, it will give him some regular AB's. Very interesting idea mth123.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?