Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Day Game Again 1:05 start; Thursday 4.12.12 Reds @ Nationals

Re: Day Game Again 1:05 start; Thursday 4.12.12 Reds @ Nationals

Thinking about this, the real problem is that the Reds have a bullpen spot filled by a guy who throws hard but has a weak track record.

Simon has potential, they should try to slip him into the AAA team, but he doesn't belong on the Reds.

The Reds are a good team supposedly. The bullpen depth took a hit when Madson and Masset went down. They need to fill the spot with a better reliever.

That's really the bottom line. I disagree with Dusty's decision there, but better bullpen depth would have prevented it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    When does Brook Jacoby start taking some heat for this offense? Two years of this now and nothing changes. There is no different approach from Stubbs this year from past years.

Broken record.
    Maybe when they become a problem? His resume says the offense he manages has been a top run producer.

Slump out of the gate, first time for a team in the history of the game.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I want my best available pitcher out there with the game on the line... I don't want to save Marshalll just because he could possibly save the game. Go to Marshall, if he gives up a hit, fine... At least you were beat with your best. I hate saving guys for possible situations, especially situations that won't appear if you don't go to the plate again.
    If you use Marshall to hold the tie, and the Reds score in the top of the next inning, you still have to use Simon for the save. Simon was getting into the game, no matter what, it just was a matter of when.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Thinking about this, the real problem is that the Reds have a bullpen spot filled by a guy who throws hard but has a weak track record.

Simon has potential, they should try to slip him into the AAA team, but he doesn't belong on the Reds.

The Reds are a good team supposedly. The bullpen depth took a hit when Madson and Masset went down. They need to fill the spot with a better reliever.

That's really the bottom line. I disagree with Dusty's decision there, but better bullpen depth would have prevented it.
    Every team has at least one Simon in its pen. Most have a few of them. Not sure who the Reds could have gotten that was better, that wouldn't cost them a hole somewhere else.

One last thing and then I'll shut up.....

John Erardi said this in his Reds preseason assessment...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...%7Ctext%7CReds

Watch how Baker handles Arroyo. And don’t get caught in the trap of thinking that the extra wild card this year makes it easier to reach the playoffs. Baker needs to manage as though every game counts, and as though his team is fighting three other teams for the last spot in September.
    That's my big beef with all this. And with that, I'll stop haranguing.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Which explains the dreadful record last year in one-run games.
    So what explains the 75-67 record in one run games in the previous 3 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If you use Marshall to hold the tie, and the Reds score in the top of the next inning, you still have to use Simon for the save. Simon was getting into the game, no matter what, it just was a matter of when.
    So Marshall can't pitch a 1/3 of an inning and go back out? And they still had Bray and Ondrusek left other than Simon. Simon was only the 3rd bullpen arm the Reds had used on the day.

And I'm fine with Simon getting into the game... That's not the issue. The issue is he was struggling with his control, a lefty was at the plate, and you still had bullets left in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    So Marshall can't pitch a 1/3 of an inning and go back out? And they still had Bray and Ondrusek left other than Simon. Simon was only the 3rd bullpen arm the Reds had used on the day.

And I'm fine with Simon getting into the game... That's not the issue. The issue is he was struggling with his control, a lefty was at the plate, and you still had bullets left in the pen.
    Sorry, I thought you were arguing about using Marshall to start the inning.

Still, if the Reds don't score in the top of the next inning, you would need Simon or someone else to get the save, if the Reds eventually did get the lead at some point.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

If Zimmerman doesn't take his eyes off the ball, the REDS are not in this game.
    Better to lose in 10 than 19.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dusty strikes again!!!!

This team will be .500 with him at the helm, and lucky to be that. He has no sense of urgency whatsoever.

Was listening to the postgame the other night and they commented how surprised they were that Dusty didn't have anyone throwing in the bullpen "just in case". I all of Dusty's years here, I've never seen him prepared for the bottom to fall out. He's a "it'll be alright" kind of manager. Which is flat out terrible and pathetic.

He has no clue how to manage a bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Dusty strikes again!!!!

This team will be .500 with him at the helm, and lucky to be that. He has no sense of urgency whatsoever.

Was listening to the postgame the other night and they commented how surprised they were that Dusty didn't have anyone throwing in the bullpen "just in case". I all of Dusty's years here, I've never seen him prepared for the bottom to fall out. He's a "it'll be alright" kind of manager. Which is flat out terrible and pathetic.

He has no clue how to manage a bullpen.
    I guess you haven't seen the discussions on how he wears out guys by having them get up too often. There is a debate on both sides of all managerial choices around here, in several different threads. Whatever Dusty does, there is a discussion on how obvious the other choice was to everyone but him.

Or if you don't like the Dusty stupid discussions, go visit the other 29 team boards and see the same discussions about their manager's decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guess you haven't seen the discussions on how he wears out guys by having them get up too often. There is a debate on both sides of all managerial choices around here, in several different threads. Whatever Dusty does, there is a discussion on how obvious the other choice was to everyone but him.

Or if you don't like the Dusty stupid discussions, go visit the other 29 team boards and see the same discussions about their manager's decision making.
    Yessir. There is nothing "obvious" in managing. I brought that up earlier in this thread about how there were a lot of people last year lamenting how "obvious" it was that Nick Masset, Francisco Cordero, etc. were being overused by Dusty. Now the problem is that Dusty isn't using his best arms enough. The guy can't please anyone no matter what he does.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Yessir. There is nothing "obvious" in managing. I brought that up earlier in this thread about how there were a lot of people last year lamenting how "obvious" it was that Nick Masset, Francisco Cordero, etc. were being overused by Dusty. Now the problem is that Dusty isn't using his best arms enough. The guy can't please anyone no matter what he does.
    It is fun to second guess, it is a part of the game. There are times I just don't get a decision, and I even get indignant about a decision. But it really is just going way too far when the "not what I would do" blossoms into "man, he is just not a good manager, in fact, he is lacking intelligence" when there is a track record that indicates the man might be good at his job.
    Last edited by traderumor; 04-12-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Saw the replay on the WP, and Mes has to keep that ball in front there. He has to shoulder some of the blame, esp. if he called for an 0-2 breaking pitch with a guy on third that represented the winning run.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

More often than not, everyone else can see the wheels falling off except for Dusty. Everyone I know realizes this. You're obviously in the minority.

He has no feel for the game at all. One of the worst managers I've ever watched. His stats are padded because he's had great players on his teams. Bonds would have a ton of rings had Dusty not been his manager.

I'm counting the days 'til Dusty is gone. This team is .500 at best with him.

Turn Off Ads?