Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Day Game Again 1:05 start; Thursday 4.12.12 Reds @ Nationals

Re: Day Game Again 1:05 start; Thursday 4.12.12 Reds @ Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This was a team loss: players, manager, bullpen.
    Big sigh.... I suppose.

But managers are supposed to be smart. One thing I admired about Tony LaRussa was his utter ruthlessness to win a game. Nothing came above that. Every move was designed to win *that* game. No other agendas.

And a good manager puts guys in situations where they can succeed. I can see putting Simon in if they got to the 14th inning and the bullpen is running low. But the top of the 10th just is not a good aplce to put a guy like Simon in.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    The bullpen? They gave up one run in 5 innings and didn't throw their 2 best arms. I'll go with offense and Dusty.
    By bullpen, I'm specifically referring to Simon. I'm sure he tried his best though; his manager had no business leaving him in there in that situation.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Should have put Valdez on the mound.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Big sigh.... I suppose.

But managers are supposed to be smart. One thing I admired about Tony LaRussa was his utter ruthlessness to win a game. Nothing came above that. Every move was designed to win *that* game. No other agendas.

And a good manager puts guys in situations where they can succeed. I can see putting Simon in if they got to the 14th inning and the bullpen is running low. But the top of the 10th just is not a good aplce to put a guy like Simon in.
    Ehhh. I don't think that's true. LaRussa pitched position players in tie games and left starting pitchers out there forever when they were getting torched to save the bullpen.

With that being said, watching Dusty this year is making me think TLR might not be as bad of an idea as I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Nothing quite like losing a game on a wild pitch. Especially when the manager is seeing quite clearly that his pitcher is lacking control.

Even so, the offense has GOT to start doing something on a consistent basis.
    We've seen this inconsistency for the past two years. Why would it magically change now? They disappear completely for long stretches, have a random series against the Cubs where they knock the ball all over the park and jack up the statistics, then disappear for another three weeks.

Frankly, until this offense does not contain Drew Stubbs, it's never going to be what it can be. He's just awful.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 04-12-2012 at 04:39 PM.

I'm sorry but there is no excuse to leave Simon in the game right there... Dusty lets the save situation dictate he's bullpen use! There is no reason to not have Bray or Marshall in the game. Also, you had Votto Rolen and Bruce coming up in the top of the inning... You have to give your guys a chance. If it means using Marshall in that spot and turning to someone else later to possibly close the so be it. That was very weak managing in that situation.

Stubbs has looked completely lost. How many times has he struck out looking already this year?
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I don't blame Dusty for not using Marshall. If the Reds were going to win that game, there's a 98% chance somebody was going to have to close.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I'd rather blame the millionaires on the field that aren't getting it done.
    They can't help it if they're not very good and people still give them jobs.

Big sigh.... I suppose.

It's April 12. Instead of Dusty letting the fans decide who should and shouldn't be pitching, or rather telling him who isn't capable of handling situations, he should be finding that out for himself.

I'm glad he's handling it this way. It's too early for anyone, fans, managers or otherwise, to be making snap judgments at who's incapable of handling certain situations. This is a 162-game season. He should absolutely be concerned about the Macro, not the Micro, especially in April.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't blame Dusty for not using Marshall. If the Reds were going to win that game, there's a 98% chance somebody was going to have to close.
    but you have to keep them from scoring to get a chance to win. That comes before managing for a save.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Big sigh.... I suppose.

Trust me, even though I posted that it's a team loss - because it's technically true - Dusty's the one I'm most furious at. If Marshall's in there, I'm convinced the Reds get at least one more chance to scrape a run or two across.

I never wanted Dusty to be the Reds' manager to begin with but I had softened my criticism over the past couple of years. Close games like this really expose his weaknesses though. When the margin for error is small, I don't want Dusty to be the one making the tough calls.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    The bullpen? They gave up one run in 5 innings and didn't throw their 2 best arms. I'll go with offense and Dusty.
    You couldn't be more right! You can't lose that game with Marshall, Bray, and Chapman left in the pen. Dusty makes 99% of his late inning bullpen moves based on the save situation.

When does Brook Jacoby start taking some heat for this offense? Two years of this now and nothing changes. There is no different approach from Stubbs this year from past years.

Broken record.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Picking up dude off waivers and immediately using him in the bullpen/rotation is so mid-200s Reds.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?